• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sub20 Solvers using 3LLL?

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm asymptotically approaching 30s average (math humor). I know full OLL and PLL (many PLLs from multiple orientations), I also know a crap load of ZBLS, about 1/3 of MGLS and several dozen special cases for last slot and open slot F2Ls. My look ahead sucks and my finger tricks are crap, I also lose a lot of time transitioning from my cross to F2L. All these things I suck at are more important than memorizing algorithms.

Agreed...I boned up on all the algs early and I don't actually have the skill to recognize or execute anything without these long pauses and such. I totally suck. What is missing is that "year of practice" which I do not have.

Samlambert

YouTube
Visit Channel
Im averaging just below 17 seconds and I use 2-look OLL about 4 times out of 5 (Because I only know about 15 cases and even some I know are slower than my 2-look because I'm not used to them :p) so really, OLL isn't much of a big deal.

mrbiggs

Sub20 with 3LLL = Sub18 with 2LLL

Doubtful, assuming that the 3LLL is done right.

Think of it this way: Even assuming the worst case, that OLL takes you as much time as eOLL (unlikely seeing as that eOLL is usually very fast), do your cOLLs really average 2 seconds?

Of course, some time can be lost for lookahead, but a good 3LLL cuber will figure out eOLL during the last pair and cOLL during eOLL. There's almost no reason for any hesitation.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know about 3/4 of OLL and all PLL, my best average of 12 is 13.44. It's all in the F2L, sub 8 F2L FTW. For sub 20, your breakdown should be something like this: 13-4-3? F2L-OLL-PLL

Petrus = 13-(1-2)-3

I don't think many people acknowledge the advantage to bad edges. I'm sub 2 on every OLL, and it really helps and minimizes alg memo on the OLL.