• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedsolving rubik's clock

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whats this no-flip method? I can't find anything about it.
Hint: Look at the name. Then do the math (seriously, then do the math).

The only reason to ever open your Clock is to remove dirt that might have built up inside, but that is very rare
Maybe it was a bad sample, but... I remember trying 5-10 clocks at a Dutch or German cube day a while ago and all of them were all horrible, very stiff. And the only one I saw at flea markets was almost impossible to turn the slightest bit.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only reason to ever open your Clock is to remove dirt that might have built up inside, but that is very rare
Maybe it was a bad sample, but... I remember trying 5-10 clocks at a Dutch or German cube day a while ago and all of them were all horrible, very stiff. And the only one I saw at flea markets was almost impossible to turn the slightest bit.

Same here. I always end up scrambling for the whole round, and just about every clock is horrible with the exception of a few(Dan Cohen's is pretty good and Gavin Nelson's is not great but still above average). I don't how they can be so bad, mine was great after minimal lubing and use.

Zarxrax

The corners of this puzzle are interesting. It seems that the corner pieces on each side perfectly mirror the motion of the opposite side, no matter what you do. But aside from that, the corners seem to end up in a solved state much more often than random chance would dictate. I wonder if there might be some way to force corners to always end up solved, through the process of just solving the cross pieces...

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The corners of this puzzle are interesting. It seems that the corner pieces on each side perfectly mirror the motion of the opposite side, no matter what you do. But aside from that, the corners seem to end up in a solved state much more often than random chance would dictate. I wonder if there might be some way to force corners to always end up solved, through the process of just solving the cross pieces...

You've clearly never taken your clock apart. Actually, you can probably tell just by looking at them that the corners are a single piece. Less obvious is that the edge and center clocks are two separate pieces with a spring in between them.

Also I don't think there is any way to manipulate the all of the corners during cross solving without making a ton of wasted moves. I can sometimes skip single corners by changing the order I solve the last few cross pieces, but I think that's the limit.

Hodari

Does anybody make any markings on the insert sheet to distinguish between times like 1:00 and 2:00? When I'm solving quickly they look very similar. Would markings even be allowed?

Given that stickerless cubes are banned on the off chance that someone might see one of the back edges while solving at 10tps....I'd have to guess this would fit in the same category and thus be banned as well.

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
Does anybody make any markings on the insert sheet to distinguish between times like 1:00 and 2:00? When I'm solving quickly they look very similar. Would markings even be allowed?
I have no idea if they are allowed, but I don't think extra markings would make any advantage to me. They would just be annoying to me.

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
So after enough practice is it easy to see the difference between 1:00 & 2:00, 4:00 & 5:00 etc? Also, what modifications do you make to the Pochmann method to improve your time?
I honestly think that 1:00 and 2:00 etc should be easy to distinguish... At least I didn't have any issue on distinguishing them before.
I didn't have any modifications when I broke WR for the first time. Now I use a more flexible sequence for solving every pair of edges. Practices on observations, predictions and TPS are the most important to me.

CuberCat

YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL. My dad gave me one yesterday, with the original box. It is in pretty good condition considering how old it is. He bought it in an OP Shop for $3 (Aussie dollar). I played with it and it is REALLY stiff. Anyway, now to learn how to solve it!

Solving clock is just like solving a 3x3x3, but there is no orienting and no middle layer. Also, you get corner-skip on bottom every time :)

Step 1: Cross on bottom (solve on top, then flip it over)
Step 2: Cross on top
Step 3: Solve corners (1 at a time)

Seriously, clock is way to easy because you can simply solve it 1 piece at a time without really being bothered with the already solved pieces

on a case where there are 2 diagonal corners and you have solved the other two diagonal corners you can solve them both instead of 1 at a time as long as there facing the same time :)