• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedsolving rubik's clock

Zarxrax

Are there multiple methods for solving the clock? If yes, which one tends to be fastest? Any tips for someone new to this puzzle?

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I don't like the way Eric does it in that video. He doesnt quite show you everything you need to know, and I don't like his order. Just learn from Pochmann's site, as he is the creator of this method. http://www.stefan-pochmann.de/spocc/speedsolving/clock/

Also, while Pochmann is the easiest to get fast with, freestyle is faster. I would guess that no-flip is faster than both, but I'm too lazy to practice it and find out. Maybe this summer.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solving clock is just like solving a 3x3x3, but there is no orienting and no middle layer. Also, you get corner-skip on bottom every time :)

Step 1: Cross on bottom (solve on top, then flip it over)
Step 2: Cross on top
Step 3: Solve corners (1 at a time)

Seriously, clock is way to easy because you can simply solve it 1 piece at a time without really being bothered with the already solved pieces

Brian Le

Is it possible to open up your clock without using Pochmann's knife method? Lucas told me about putting scissors in between the clock and prying it apart, but it hasn't worked for me.

If I must, I guess I'll have to put my clock under the knife...

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't get why everyone is so scared of taking a knife to your clock. As long as you aren't stupid about it you won't have any problems or do any damage.
There is no reason to open your Clock in order to lube it. Just spray "through" the weels

The only reason to ever open your Clock is to remove dirt that might have built up inside, but that is very rare

Koen

WCA
2008WERM02
I don't get why everyone is so scared of taking a knife to your clock. As long as you aren't stupid about it you won't have any problems or do any damage.
There is no reason to open your Clock in order to lube it. Just spray "through" the weels

The only reason to ever open your Clock is to remove dirt that might have built up inside, but that is very rare

Opening, cleaning and lubing the clock makes it much better than just spray through the wheels or pins.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Opening, cleaning and lubing the clock makes it much better than just spray through the wheels or pins.

My clock also had some casting imperfections in the plastic that I had to sand down.

I would guess that no-flip is faster than both, but I'm too lazy to practice it and find out. Maybe this summer.

Whats this no-flip method? I can't find anything about it.

That's because I haven't published anything about it. I think it should cut off just under a second, so don't even consider it until you are sub-10 at least.

Brian Le

Well, that is exactly the reason why I wanna clean it up. But is the knife method the only way? I mean, if its the easiest, then I guess I have to resort to that.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Well, that is exactly the reason why I wanna clean it up. But is the knife method the only way? I mean, if its the easiest, then I guess I have to resort to that.

No, Lucas's scissor method is the easiest, but if you cant get it to work than you have to use a knife.