• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing World Championships 2011 Date and Location

MrMoney

WCA
2009SULE01
My idea is that it should be on a cruise-ship travelling in Europe. Europe has the cheapest cruises and cheap Ryan-air tickets to various port-cities. We could rent a part of the boat (theme cruises offer this very cheap) and a stage there. Everyone would be living close by and we could cube for afew days straight. I think this can work out very well.

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I totally. Hadn't read Chris's posts when I posted randomly! Kinda thought I should give a serious opinion...

Frankly, in India, Delhi, Chennai or Mumbai would be the ideal places to have a wc. I'm not sure about Chennai, but Delhi and mumbai are tourist hotspots. The climate in delhi isn't all that good though. Mumbai. In my opinion would be good as there are quite a lot of speed cubers here. (And i live there so it'd be easier for me lol.) lodging isn't a problem at all with the number of hotels and hostels that are present here. There are some pretty big venues available too! The best part is, like east asia, the rupee is damn cheap compared to the dollar or euro, etc. Another advantage for sponsors is that most indian kids are attention whores. And show offs. They'd learn something JUST so they can make a big deal of it. Hype something enough, you'll practically have half of mumbai's kids throwing all sorts of tantrums to make their parents buy it! It happened with pokemon, ben 10, power rangers, beyblade and recently, the cube after they saw a 2 minute clip of a certain amir khan handle the cube in a movie called 3 idiots. So basically, for someone who wants to sell, this city would be the ideal option. Many people you can dupe here lol. As for organizers, the RCMO team, the Shastra Open team, the Axis Open Team and of course, the Indian Open team can come together! Those are the 4 biggest events in the country!

However, there is a lack of SERIOUS speed cubers here. If you see the rankings, only 10 to 15 people have a sub 20 average. Bernett and Prashant are the only ones with a sub 15 last I checked. Most of the cubers are all over 30. More than 70pc follow dan brown. Enough reason to not hold it here haha! You also need to worry about the local vendors dupeing all the foreigners! Trust me, i've seen a lot of stuff and saved a lot of tourists. These guys are crazy!

If it isn't in india, (or even if it is ems that matter) i doubt i'll be able to come. I don't think i can before the travel and stay. I just wish i could attend some wc sometime :( the only big event i've been to as such is the rcmo. But that was held in a large lecture hall. That's the biggest i've seen... :(

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you believe you can secure an appropriate venue and have the man power to make it happen, I suggest you e-mail the WCA board to discuss it.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Australia?

Would the sponsors want to hold it in Australia?

Sponsorship
Seven Towns and our national distributor, Crown and Andrews, have been very supportive in the past year with sponsoring competitions here.

The RMIT University Student Union have also been very generous with funding our competitions.

Venue
It could be held in Melbourne or Sydney at a public venue or university. I'd highly recommend Melbourne for cheaper transport and accommodation, and overall a better atmosphere.

Australian Speedcubers
  • There are nine local speedcubers with an average of less than 16 seconds for 3x3.
  • There are between thirty and fifty active speedcubers in the community.
  • There's one local speedcuber that's broken 10 world records in the first year of holding WCA competitions in Australia.
  • Australian speedcubers have shown significant improvement in the past year; I wouldn't be surprised if some are 2-5 second faster by 2011 and end up with 10-13 second averages.
  • Overall the community is small but growing.

Media
The media in Australia are still interested in Rubik's Cubes. We had coverage on three national TV stations and nine radio stations for the Australian Nationals 2010 and I didn't do any advertising to gain their attention. One plug on SAFM with Aron snowballed into ABC wanting to cover it and so on. They're only just starting to realise how fast some of our speedcubers are, beyond the novelty of simply solving a puzzle. Having the World Championships in Australia would definitely attract a lot of attention and put solving Rubik's Cubes in a new light.

A snippet of one such interview with Rod Quinn on ABC Overnights:
Rod said:
...does the person who win, or the people who win, go onto the World Championship?
Tim said:
Um, not at this stage. There is going to be a championship next year, a World Championship. I think they're still determining where it's going to be held. We don't really have the funding at the moment. I'm organising this competition with the help of the RMIT Rubik's Cube Club which I founded. And we're looking into sponsorship for that. But currently we don't have the sponsorship for sending someone overseas.
Rod said:
But, you know. You could host the World Championships here in Australia!
Tim said:
Um, we could but I'm not sure if the international community would be too keen on it.
Rod said:
Aaah, come on! They need to get around to all of the places in the world! Cubing is a great sport!

2 cents (=AUD-USD) :p

Tim.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you everyone for the more productive posts. These are the kinds of posts that may be noticed by the WCA board members, or at least brought to their attention. If you can refine your post here to bring up several good points, and address most everything that would be necessary to run a competition of this scale in your area, than you should take your post over to the WCA forum and post it there.

Vishal

I think it should be in London England which is in the uk and Europe there are many cubers in that area I am sure Charlie Cooper will be willing to help it has a massive amount of airports with flights from a unimanginable amount of countries I go there alot so I could help with a few things maybe get a sponsor.

bluecloe45

WCA
2010COHE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well. Washington, DC
1. The DC/Maryland team might want to help out.
2. Lots of conference centers that would be nice for a large group of competitors.
3. Lots of chain hotels within walking distance of the centers
4. Metro buses, taxi's and Metro trains are convenient fir travel

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4. Metro buses, taxi's and Metro trains are convenient fir travel

Ok public transportation, but has some flaws. The taxi's are fine, but...
Things wrong with train system: Escalator ride takes 10 minutes/go to the depths of hell for a train ride.
Pay different price for distance. Very complicated.
However, the trains themselves look fine.

Bus system: The buses turn, and have a route... I was on the bus visiting and the bus suddenly turned...wtf? Why can't they just make it go straight.

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I heard at the Asian Championship, Ron was very keen on Asia.

I don't really mind where it is held, but I would like to recommend Thailand. (Specifically, the Asian Championship venue - Baiyoke Sky Hotel)
1. Superb organisational team. This is the key to running the competition, and at the Asian Championship, we never fell behind schedule, there was no lack of judges, and it was extremely well organised. There is a very big cubing community in Thailand.
2. Fantastic venue. The competition hall was very good, and I was very comfortable there.
3. Bangkok has an extremely large airport, and flights aren't expensive
4. Sponsor interest. The Baiyoke hotel provided so much for the competitors there, and I would guess that they provided the prize money too, as this wasn't organised by SevenTowns/RubikStudio (As far as I know).
When I was there, the owners of the Hotel expressed great interest in hosting the World Championships.
5. This is just a small point, but the live streaming was ridiculously good, and was one thousand times better than a stationary webcam that some competitions have. Almost T.V. quality broadcasting.
6. Transport to the hotel from the airport is just a taxi ride, or a train ride, and there is no need to travel to the venue every morning, as you are already there. I think this is a very important point too.

Also, free wifi.

Just some pictures of the venue.

38363_133511173351011_100000763873952_146664_8161561_n.jpg

64868_1535174631740_1606066280_1282869_7885120_n.jpg

44921_1535177191804_1606066280_1282879_3104887_n.jpg

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh please HONG KONG!!!! If it will be in Hong Kong I will take anyone (18+) to club Laguna and buy them a drink... They would freak out so much if I filled the place with cubers!! Because I cubed so often there...

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
bla bla...
5. This is just a small point, but the live streaming was ridiculously good, and was one thousand times better than a stationary webcam that some competitions have. Almost T.V. quality broadcasting.
bla bla

I was so sad that my computer can't run video files properly (Intel GMA 500 is just not good enough :p)

but back to the topic again:
I agree with kickflip1993 (beside I would rather want it in a backyard than US :p)

04mucklowd

WCA
2009MUCK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it should be in London England which is in the uk and Europe there are many cubers in that area I am sure Charlie Cooper will be willing to help it has a massive amount of airports with flights from a unimanginable amount of countries I go there alot so I could help with a few things maybe get a sponsor.

I think London is a good choice
It has lots of very good rail links
Some good motorway links
At least 3 good airports
It is easy to get to from European countries such as France, Holland, Belgum, due to the Dover-Calais ferries

Last edited: