• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sec. 9m (maximum number of rounds) should be changed

Should events with over 1000 people be able to have 5 rounds?

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Agree

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
WCA
2013BARK01
Maybe in a few years comps will be more widespread, but they're not now, and I doubt that they will ever be common enough that people like me, who live in rural areas, will have those choices.

As far as skipping comps: priorities, man! 6x6 is the best event, after all. Life is short, why bother with silly stuff?

How would you feel about a rule limiting number of rounds on the basis of number of events offered? For example:
No more than 2 rounds of any one event may be offered at any competition unless at least one round of every other WCA event is offered at the same competition. Exception: competitions with 2 or fewer official events offered may offer additional rounds subject to the limitations on number of competitors.
Can you clarify what the exception is supposed to mean?

M

Malkom

Maybe in a few years comps will be more widespread, but they're not now, and I doubt that they will ever be common enough that people like me, who live in rural areas, will have those choices.

As far as skipping comps: priorities, man! 6x6 is the best event, after all. Life is short, why bother with silly stuff?

How would you feel about a rule limiting number of rounds on the basis of number of events offered? For example:
No more than 2 rounds of any one event may be offered at any competition unless at least one round of every other WCA event is offered at the same competition. Exception: competitions with 2 or fewer official events offered may offer additional rounds subject to the limitations on number of competitors.
That doesn't really makes sense to me, for example there's an annual Swedish comp who's sole purpose is to offer multiple rounds of a "few" selected events. I think the regulations shouldn't be too limiting, an organizer who wants 3 rounds of OH shouldn't have to organize a huge comp with every WCA event.

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I very strongly agree that a 5th round should be added to bigger comps. Worlds this year is going to be 1100 people, and only four rounds. Nationals is going to be 800. And there are also going to be other huge comps this year (like Euros and Asian Championships), so overall, I think that a 5th round would be very helpful, and maybe for comps with over 1100 people, maybe even a 6th (but that seems a little excessive). I also think that a 5th would help expand the WCA a little bit, because more people can advance, so more people will want to compete just so they can advance beyond round 1. But overall in my opinion, I think that a 5th round would greatly benefit competitions around the world.
Doesn't that mean that fewer people get to advance because you have to make time for the extra round? You keep saying that more rounds = good, but you don't have anything to back up your claims.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
As Kit said, more rounds doesn't help select better winners. The only purpose would be to give more people more solves (more fun, as the WCA mission says). A more inclusive solution to that would be to have bigger rounds, not more rounds.

If you have both bigger and more rounds, that will be time consuming and obviously will come at the expense of other events. With 5 rounds of maximum size, the 4th round would still be 42% the size of the first round. Personally I think 4 rounds is enough, even at Worlds.

Having said that, I'm not sure why the regulations should limit it rather than leave it to the discretion of the organisers.

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why does everyone say that "no, no, we are good"? I really don't get it. Wouldn't more rounds attract more people to the WCA?
No. Why would it? The current system is fine because competitions have limited amount of time and we should encourage organizers to hold more events instead of 10 rounds of 3x3. That way everyone gets to compete more instead of just the top 3x3 solvers.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Because more people can do more solves because of other rounds?
For slow people like me the number of rounds is irrelevant except inasmuch as they take time from other events. I can do solves for events that I am fast enough for the hard cut, and averages for events that I'm fast enough for the soft cut. I don't get to compete in further rounds because I'm simply not good enough, and probably never will be unless I start to take feet more seriously and I go to a comp with multiple rounds of feet. More rounds accentuates the problem (perhaps not as much of a problem as in other organizations, but still a problem) that there is an "in" crowd and an "out" crowd.

For slow people like me the number of rounds is irrelevant except inasmuch as they take time from other events. I can do solves for events that I am fast enough for the hard cut, and averages for events that I'm fast enough for the soft cut. I don't get to compete in further rounds because I'm simply not good enough, and probably never will be unless I start to take feet more seriously and I go to a comp with multiple rounds of feet. More rounds accentuates the problem (perhaps not as much of a problem as in other organizations, but still a problem) that there is an "in" crowd and an "out" crowd.
Like I just said, you guys are probably right. However, I still think that 5 rounds would be better.