• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Legal action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is the type of reply that I asked to not have.

On subject - how long do patents last?

You can't complain about the posting quality, then double post, and ask a question that was answered in the post before yours :p

Yes, 20 years seems to be a kinda standard, but it's irrelevant as we already know the Rubiks patent has expired long ago. The issue is with them claiming the look of the cube is their trademark (which they have a duty to defent for fear of weakening it). However, there is no hard rule that says they Do have the trademark of the image of the cube... that needs to be decided in court. However I can't see them going to court with any of the chinese companies... it's much easier to threaten small companies who can't do anything about it (re: individual shops).

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes but for example there is nothing anymore interesting (3x3 speaking) on iCubiK now... And it's a shame because it was the fastest deliverer for my country. Now I buy cubes at iCubeMart but they takes 3 times longer to deliver and the shopping fee is higher !

E3cubestore

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not too worried because there's no legal ground that I can see.

The rubiks cube patent expired long ago and they only own a patent to the color scheme.

If the speed cube producing companies have a good lawyer, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

The worst they can do is make it so all 3x3x3's have purple stickers.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The rubiks cube patent expired long ago and they only own a patent to the color scheme.

They own a trademark, not a patent.

If the speed cube producing companies have a good lawyer, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

They don't need a laywer, they will produce cubes regardless. It's China.

I don't think seventowns can win at all. How such a big company like V-cubes lose right ?

lol do you think VCubes are bigger than 7towns?

vcubes aren't even being targeted here.

Cube-Fu

WCA
2009WILL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Legal obligations only it seems; Seventowns, losing lots of money but still selling cubes, Erno Rubik, multi-millionaire. Do you know how many cubes are sold in the U.K. every year, compare that to the amount of people involved in competitions (interested in speed solving) and look at it from the point of view of the street ... 'Hey, I've always wanted to get one of those things, where can I get one?'
'Well, if you want to get really fast, you'll need a special cube, you have to buy one from China; or you can get a not so good one from down the road for a tenner, it'll be really solid, and last years, but you won't be able to beat any records.'
'I've just always wanted one, I don't even know how to solve it.'
'Oh! Ok.'

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I emailed seventowns legal about a year ago. I covered up as a mother named Sharon that was about to order from a 'speedcube' website.

(I've since lost the email... but this is what I can recall)

Sharon's concern was that her son wanted to buy from a website that didn't say they were Rubik's brand or not. So Sharon gave him a link to the products and asked if it was still okay to buy. Here was the reply:

Hi Sharon,

That website is likely for speed cubers and we have no relations with them. Often times they will want a cube manufactured in China because they perform better. We do not intend to bother these online sellers but we do have customs take action and seize bulk imports of copied Rubik's Cubes. Thank you for your concern.

Remember this was a year ago and idk if they have different motives. Right now I'm not too concerned until a 2nd or 3rd store encounters the same problem like iCubik.
I'm still pissed at Verdes for last months claims... But what does it matter? China will still make these cubes and we can still get them. Only bad thing is that it slows down progress in making better cubes all the time. Crap like this makes me less motivated in making new puzzles (yep I have plans).

Thunderbolt

YouTube
Visit Channel
They won't make it. I think I remember similar case. V-cube accuse yj's cubes makers of stealing theirs patent. As you see you can still buy every YJ from 2x2 to 7x7 and more :)

Robbytrooper

WCA
2010ROUL01
Why don't they just improve their cube design?

Reading through this thread has had me asking the same question. Why do they not employ someone to help them develop a Rubik's brand speedcube? They can call it the Rubiks Pro or something like that, if it's any good they could make a lot of money from it instead of seeming targetting these smaller companies who are just responding to the demand for faster cubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.