• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube sightings in media

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The reason that I haven't gone to any competitions in Melbourne is because I only recently found out that you don't have to be super fast to compete. Previously I thought you had to be like sub 20, but then I found out it doesn't matter what time you average.

So you never bothered to look at the results? Cause there have always been slow people competing.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"Solving a Rubik's cube with your hands is hard enough, but Jayden McNeill can do it with his feet ... and he can do it fast."

Lol not fast enough :p .

Also, watching that video, no wonder you couldn't beat the OcR; that was painful to watch >.<

DYK that Tyson taught Will Smith, just for the pursuit of happyness?

Actually, if my ever-aging memory serves me correctly, it was Tyson's brother Toby that taught Will Smith to solve the cube.

Last edited by a moderator:

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WHY JAYDEN WHYYY

Come on, just solve it with your hands, solving it with your feet looks awkward and show-offy lol.

My mum kinda told me at the last minuite that I had to do feet solves for the Canberra times :p There's another Canberra times article where I solve with my hands though.

"Solving a Rubik's cube with your hands is hard enough, but Jayden McNeill can do it with his feet ... and he can do it fast."

Lol not fast enough :p .

Also, watching that video, no wonder you couldn't beat the OcR; that was painful to watch >.<

To be honest, I really didn't practice feet nearly as much as I could have for Worlds :rolleyes:. I cared more about getting a good 2x2/3x3 average (Both of which failed anyway :tu ). You can have the OcR until feet gets removed.

ToastyKen

WCA
2012LUKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One segment of this episode of BBC Outlook deals with American Davis Harris-Gershon. While living in East Jerusalem in 2002, his wife was severely burned in a bomb attack at Hebrew University. Afterward, he heard that the terrorist responsible for planting the bomb had surprisingly expressed remorse and expressed a desire to meet his victims. Although Harris-Gershon has not been able meet the bomber himself (who is in prison), he went to meet the bomber's family.

The terrorist had a son and a daughter, and Harris-Gershon felt that since he was visiting the family, he should buy some gifts for those kids. This inspired the title of the book he just wrote: What Do You Buy the Children of the Terrorist who Tried to Kill Your Wife?

Wandering through an American toy store, he tried to find things which were not culturally-specific. He got the daughter a stencil set, and for the son he bought... a Rubik's Cube.

(He also said that he felt the Rubik's Cube, being a puzzle, was a nice metaphor for the situation. If only that conflict could be solved as quickly as people can solve a Cube! :p)

cubesonfire

WCA
2013MALI01
today i saw a commercial for a new soap opera about to be released. its about a poor woman who works really hard so that her children can grow and become successful.
and in the middle of it, a saw one of the daughters of the woman trying to solve a cube.
noticing carefully, i saw it was a storebought,which was surprising as i expected a rubiks brand to be there.
i hope other people watch it too.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
today i saw a commercial for a new soap opera about to be released. its about a poor woman who works really hard so that her children can grow and become successful.
and in the middle of it, a saw one of the daughters of the woman trying to solve a cube.
noticing carefully, i saw it was a storebought,which was surprising as i expected a rubiks brand to be there.
i hope other people watch it too.
Uhm, Storebought normally refers to "bought in a store" and that would imply "Rubik's brand" because they are the cubes that are being sold everywhere

Sam Cubes

Its just like in class when you slow turn solve and get like 49 seonds because why not, and they all look at you and you remember that it is impressive to them lolo,

Dapianokid

There are hardly any competitions in the U.S. near me. I want to go to a competiton, and I don't wanna host my own! Sadness.

There is hardly any math to the cube. The only mahts you see is advanced math dealing with group theory.

So how fast can Will Smith really cube?

ludosandco

In the film pitch perfect Bella's "bf" has this really nerdy room mate and at one point in the film there is a cube on his desk

XTowncuber

WCA
2010BRAD01
YouTube
Visit Channel