• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube sightings in media

CubeDatCube

WCA
2016MARS01
http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/abilene-boy-heads-to-rubiks-cube-competition

The provided me with a full month's dose of cringing.

"Gavin's knowledge of math helps him solve the Rubik's Cube by using an algorithm."

"Gavin will be heading to San Antonio in May to compete against other Rubik's Cube mathematicians from around the world."

Also they constantly refer to him being able to solve the cube in 12 seconds, yet in the video he clearly doesn't look like someone who is that fast.

Hahah

"12 seconds is all that it takes for one Abilene boy to finish a Rubik's Cube."

And was his brother doing the nae nae in the background? 1:13 time stamp

"He is going to compete against other Rubik's Cube Mathematicians soon"

"I've haven't seen those pyramids before"

Last edited:

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/abilene-boy-heads-to-rubiks-cube-competition

The provided me with a full month's dose of cringing.

"Gavin's knowledge of math helps him solve the Rubik's Cube by using an algorithm."

"Gavin will be heading to San Antonio in May to compete against other Rubik's Cube mathematicians from around the world."

Also they constantly refer to him being able to solve the cube in 12 seconds, yet in the video he clearly doesn't look like someone who is that fast.
This is the most ridicoulous thing I have ever seen. 12.37 seconds and doesn't even use fingertricks and uses a rubiks brand. Lmao

Meneghetti

Premium Member
WCA
2012MENE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last Thursday I was invited to a TV show. They didn't give me any details. All I knew was that I was going to get in one car and I would be asked to solve the cube there. They paid my tickets to São Paulo and on the next day I got there.

In São Paulo, I got in a van and then they took me to a place in Paulista Avenue where I was supposed to wait for a taxi to pick me up. I had no idea what was going on and I didn't even know what TV show it was going to be for.

So, a taxi showed up and I got in. A famous Brazilian TV host was driving it. On the back seat, there were other three Brazilian celebrities (one singer, one actress/dancer and one music producer). Although I was already expecting to see a celebrity there, I had no idea who it was going to be... and I was also expecting it to be only one person, not four! So I was really surprised and it will probably look funny on TV.

The host asked me how fast I could solve the cube and I told him I could do it in 15s, and then I solved it in 13s, which seemed to impress them a lot. He asked me some random questions about what I did for living and how I got into cubing, and when I mentioned I could do it blindfolded he got really interested and asked me to do a BLD solve. I told him that I had to memorize the cube first in a little less than 1 minute. The music producer scrambled the cube and then they all started to sing out loud some random songs while I was memorizing. When I told them I was ready, the actress/dancer covered my eyes with her hands and I got a successful solve.

The solve was a 12/6' in Noah's notation and I think I only had one pause before the last commutator. Execution was probably around 28 seconds.

It hasn't aired yet. They said it will probably air on May 21st. :)

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last Thursday I was invited to a TV show. They didn't give me any details. All I knew was that I was going to get in one car and I would be asked to solve the cube there. They paid my tickets to São Paulo and on the next day I got there.

In São Paulo, I got in a van and then they took me to a place in Paulista Avenue where I was supposed to wait for a taxi to pick me up. I had no idea what was going on and I didn't even know what TV show it was going to be for.

So, a taxi showed up and I got in. A famous Brazilian TV host was driving it. On the back seat, there were other three Brazilian celebrities (one singer, one actress/dancer and one music producer). Although I was already expecting to see a celebrity there, I had no idea who it was going to be... and I was also expecting it to be only one person, not four! So I was really surprised and it will probably look funny on TV.

The host asked me how fast I could solve the cube and I told him I could do it in 15s, and then I solved it in 13s, which seemed to impress them a lot. He asked me some random questions about what I did for living and how I got into cubing, and when I mentioned I could do it blindfolded he got really interested and asked me to do a BLD solve. I told him that I had to memorize the cube first in a little less than 1 minute. The music producer scrambled the cube and then they all started to sing out loud some random songs while I was memorizing. When I told them I was ready, the actress/dancer covered my eyes with her hands and I got a successful solve.

The solve was a 12/6' in Noah's notation and I think I only had one pause before the last commutator. Execution was probably around 28 seconds.

It hasn't aired yet. They said it will probably air on May 21st. :)

Wow! That's really cool! I want to see it once it airs!

Meneghetti

Premium Member
WCA
2012MENE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yesterday I went to Rio de Janeiro to record the second part of my appearence in the TV show I mentioned in my previous post. This time I took 8yo Chan Hong Lik with me and all I did was present him and explain some details about BLD memorization. It was recorded in the show stage with audience. It was not live, but for us it was just as if it was live, because there wouldn't be second chances :p

Chan solved the cube 3 times: sighted, blindfolded and with feet. Amazingly he got a PLL skip in the sighted solve and it was definitely sub-10. They had a timer in a big screen behind us, but they didn't get to stop the timer. The host said it was 9s.

For the BLD solve, the host managed to pop Chan's main cube while scrambling it. We left that cube aside and one of the producers literally threw me a backup cube (which was my backup cube, an SS Aurora, not Chan's), sliding through the stage, and Chan had to use it. I offered him my main cube (a MeiYing), but he preferred the Aurora. He memorized for about 2min and he got a success. The audience went crazy :) For me it looked like it was a really hard scramble, because his execution took much longer than usual (about 1 min), but I'm not sure what he thought about it. All I know is that it had parity.

Then, he had a 50s feet solve and I was supposed to be talking about how CFOP works while he was doing it, but my microphone failed and the producers called me backstage to fix it. When I got back to the stage he was finishing the solve and we didn't get to talk anymore.

It's going to air on May 21st and I will definitely post the video!