• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube sightings in media

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There was a comment on this article that somebody (Daniel Karnaukh, not sure if this is you DG?) made that deserves to see the light of day:

This is the most ridiculous article about this event I've ever seen. It has so many falsities that I burst out laughing reading this horrible excuse of an article. First of all, the title. It is an understatement to say that Collin solved the cube in under 1 minute. He solved it in 5.25 seconds, and consistently solves it in under 10 seconds, not a minute. Now for the first sentence of the article, which already is wrong: "The Rubik’s Cube…one of life’s great mysteries to some, but not to one young boy." There are tens of thousands of people that know how to solve a Rubik's Cube, Collin is far from the only one.
And again, not under a minute, more like under 6 seconds. Now for the first paragraph. The very first words in this paragraph had me laughing uncontrollably. A math class? This is a cubing competition, an event where many people (who have learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube) compete to solve a Rubik's Cube as fast as they can. I was even there. What kind of idiot are you to assume that this is a math class? First of all, there are people ranging from 10 years old to fully grown adults in this room, which is NOT what a math class is consisted of. Also, what kind of math class takes place in a cafeteria? And lastly, math classes do not have professional timers in the middle of the room, with people filming them! For the last time, this is a CUBING COMPETITION. Moving on to the second paragraph. These are NOT his classmates, these are cubers, people in the cubing community who know how to solve a Rubik's Cube, me being one of them. Not his classmates. In fact, these cubers have travelled up to several hours to be at that competition, so they can't be his classmates. And when he solves the cube, yes, they were excited, but nowhere in the video does anybody say "Oh my gosh". Again, these people cannot possibly be his classmates. Maybe if you did your research, you would actually right an accurate description of what REALLY happened. Sometimes I wonder what this world has come to, where news article writers don't even take more than 2 seconds to think about what they're writing. I could honestly bang my head on my keyboard a few times and write a better article than this.

That isn't me; it's one of my friends though, and we were video chatting while he wrote that. I think that comment is genius. :D

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
2015 World Series of Poker Main Event - Final Table - Day 2

Pea7o2P.jpg

rokicki

2015 World Series of Poker Main Event - Final Table - Day 2

http://i.imgur.com/Pea7o2P.jpg

As an older amateur with a small chip stack, I suspect he was trying to minimize
the number of hands at low blinds in order to introduce more volatility and thus
increase his chances at winning.

His strategy was within the rules, but did not work and was annoying.

I think they should flatten the payouts for positions 2-9 to introduce more dynamic
play in the final table. Most play was conservative in order to get as high as
possible on the pay ladder.

And if you're going to compete for 7.7 million dollars, on nationwide television,
might as well wear a nice shirt to the table. What a bunch of ragamuffins.

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Robert Yau was just on ITV news being interviewed about his recent UK champion status. The interview was about 2-3 mins and consisted mainly of "This puzzle is even older than you!" (as if the fact has any relevancy to someone's skill) and "I wouldn't even know where to start with this thing lol!" and the interviewer compared him to Usain Bolt at one point. You know, usual media babble. Rob did an 11 second solve and generally remained stoic, if not a bit uninterested. One sympathizes.

EDIT: Thread + Vid here: https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ert-Yau-ITV-News-London&p=1130744#post1130744

On hindsight, maybe he was a bit more enthusiastic than I first percieved. Apologies for not paying attention.

Last edited: