• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubing doesn't use a *significant* amount of physical power. You can be a master cuber without looking muscular or athletic - and nobody works out so they can cube better. (As far as I know.) Contrast that to most real sports where the competitors are clearly athletes.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Chinese tried to get 'paper scissors rock' as their guest sport in this years olympics, so speedcubing in the olympics may be a possibility, although I don't think they should do it.

why would they get rock paper scissors as an event? that's like luck :O
and I would definately participate when im 15

hes right rock paper scissors is more of a luck thing for speed cubing you need more skill

I know tricks for Rocks Paper Scissors.

can you share them? i kinda such a ruck paper scissors...
I just found out about http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/b597/?cpg=ab and this seemed like the best place to share

That is just the beginning :)
Here is the real deal.
By the way, rps stands for Rock Paper Scissors :)
:eek:
Fortunately there is a flash game that has the x beats y matrix encoded. It would take quite a while to lurn the rules of those games, especically for the 101 variation :fp

The first variation looked like a 3x3x3 evolving into a 4x4x4, 5x5x5, 6x6x6, 7x7x7, etc. But those latest variations are just like some of our online 5D-120-interconnected-gazillionminxes

My friend Shiao and I play RPS-101.
Whenever we tie, it's always--and always has been--on UFO.
Damn, butter beats beer....

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice thought though, but I really think that solving a Rubik's cube is not a sport. It's the same argument that gets people divided if poker and its variants is a sport too.

If solving cubes were to ever become an Olympic sport, it would be rather boring to watch. We can give good commentary about techinque about doing a good long jump, etc but techinque about OLL'and PLL's and F2l? It would bore most non dedicated cube type viewers.

And if cubing ever came an Olympic sport, how about its inclusionin the para Olympics too?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If solving cubes were to ever become an Olympic sport, it would be rather boring to watch. We can give good commentary about techinque about doing a good long jump, etc but techinque about OLL'and PLL's and F2l? It would bore most non dedicated cube type viewers.

I don't see that as a problem. Plenty of sports have terminology that isn't obvious to someone who has never looked into the sport. If cubing ever got popular enough to be on the olympics (or something similar) I think most spectators would at least understand the rules and the basics of what's going on.

If you look up the requirements to be considered an Olympic sport, cubing practically covers all the areas.

I say a WCA delegate should step up and talk to the IOC about becoming an Olympic sport :)

It's worth a try...

hyunchoi98

WCA
2012CHOI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
What athletic ability does cubing involve? it doesn't even come CLOSE to ANYTHING else in the olympics right now.
Honestly.
Why are people even considering this?

Practicing fingers.

It's not a sport unless it requires some form of physical strength or endurance. Anything that doesn't at least meet that requirement shouldn't even be considered for Olympic induction.

As much as I love speedcubing... I've gotta say, it's just not a "sport".

Some people call it a sport (like me). I'd love to see it! I would be a strong supporter.:D But i just don't think it's gonna happen.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As much as I'd like cubing to be an Olympic sport, I highly doubt it's going to happen anytime soon, if ever. Don't hold your breath, guys.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I've had this discussion very often with my family. When they say it's not a sport, I bring in many arguments to why not? Such as Poker is, car racing is, the Japanese tried to get paper, scissors, rock as a sport. I believe it can be a sport. Then why not in the Olympics. Because it wouldn't have a big audience. The first time it's at the Olympics, it would, but it would decrease. Whilst it's amazing seeing people solve 3x3's in 10 seconds flat, it gets boring to people after a while. It would not be a good sport for the Olympics.

I also don't want it to be a sport, because then interest would really pick up. I don't want cubing to really pick up, because if it did, it would eventually die down, and it would be considered extremely uncool. I don't want to see cubing at the Olympics. However, ^^^ is just my opinion, and doesn't have to be yours. But I really think it could be bad for cubing.

The problem that I can see arising is that speed cubing becomes too popular, and then the ability to solve a Rubik's cube, regardless of speed, will become something of the ordinary. In other words, the 'wow-factor' of speed cubing will be tarnished if it becomes an Olympic sport, or even really well-known.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem that I can see arising is that speed cubing becomes too popular, and then the ability to solve a Rubik's cube, regardless of speed, will become something of the ordinary. In other words, the 'wow-factor' of speed cubing will be tarnished if it becomes an Olympic sport, or even really well-known.

Their is no "wow-factor" in just playing a sport. It's being good at it that counts.

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is debate right now to add 20/20 Cricket to the 2020 Olympics.

But Cricket is a proven sport.

To add speedcubing to the Olympics will raise the old debate of "Is speedcubing a sport? And if speedcubing is a sport, is no limit texas poker a sport too?"

(This is a alternative take on "Is Pluto a planet or not?")

I'm very sure that poker players would also like to take part in the Olympics too.

Both speedcubers and poker players can argue that both "sports" are games of skill that require constant pratice, knowledge and brains to play. For a poker player, it would take learning hand rankings (from 2/2 to A/A for example) and for speedcubers it would take the form of learning full Fridrich and so on.

You could argue both ways on both speedcubing and poker as a "sport".

And you also could add chess to the debate too.

ElderKingpin

YouTube
Visit Channel
olympics is like an official WCA competition with press coverage.

I like speedcubing but that doesnt mean i need thousands of people "trying it out" and all of this other junk.

DcF1337

If speedcubing is to become an event at the Olympics, why not cup stacking? Or skateboarding? Or speedtexting, speedeating and speeddrinking for that matter?