• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to develop finger strength for cubing

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
See video.
Things to work on:
1. Gripping a bar with weights or bodyweight
2. Gripping bricks
3. Fingertip Pushups
Results:
Never clumsily drop your cube again!
Faster turning speed!

My form is not perfect, but you get the idea. That's why I'm not the fastest.
I would like to see a video of Chris Hardwick warming up for cubing.

Last edited by a moderator:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Real feedback: rofl

:p
jk
Umm...I have bunkbeds. So what I'll do, is every night before I go to bed from now on, hang my feet on the bars connecting the 2 beds, and do like 100 upside-down pull-ups. Then I'll eventually tell you my progress.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Real feedback: rofl

:p
jk
Umm...I have bunkbeds. So what I'll do, is every night before I go to bed from now on, hang my feet on the bars connecting the 2 beds, and do like 100 upside-down pull-ups. Then I'll eventually tell you my progress.

By the way, we are on a cubing forum. If you want to using correct terminology, use ROF2L, not rofl. ROFL if you only solve 2x2x2.

If you can do hand stands, it would be nice too, but I can't do them.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
nah...I can't do handstands.
Unfortunately, I'm also in the middle of switching methods, so my time progress will be quite skewed...

Edit:
actually, I'll try handstands against a wall, but I have a headache today, so that won't be happening soon.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice idea, though I can't say I'll ever have the effort to try it...
I've always been able to turn fast on 3x3, and I reckon it's down to playing guitar for about 9 years. Perhaps another way of strengthening hands would be to learn some simple piano scales and practice getting fast at them with good technique.

Perhaps getting some of these might be good too:
http://www.gripmasterpro.com/bodygm.html

EDIT: @ amostay: perhaps it's finger stamina you need, rather than strength?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice idea, though I can't say I'll ever have the effort to try it...
I've always been able to turn fast on 3x3, and I reckon it's down to playing guitar for about 9 years. Perhaps another way of strengthening hands would be to learn some simple piano scales and practice getting fast at them with good technique.

Perhaps getting some of these might be good too:
http://www.gripmasterpro.com/bodygm.html

EDIT: @ amostay: perhaps it's finger stamina you need, rather than strength?

Nice ideas!

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
You have to types of muscle fibers, fast and slow twitch. I think lifting weights like that would develop your slow twitch muscles, I doubt it would do much for the fast twitch.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You have to types of muscle fibers, fast and slow twitch. I think lifting weights like that would develop your slow twitch muscles, I doubt it would do much for the fast twitch.

That's for grip. ;) I think the push ups work quite well for triggers.
That is a good suggestion. Can anyone think of any other exercises involving fast twitch finger muscles?

ConnorCuber

WCA
2008GRIE01

That's for grip. ;) I think the push ups work quite well for triggers.
That is a good suggestion. Can anyone think of any other exercises involving fast twitch finger muscles?

Possibly one of those stress balls? If you squeeze, and release fast, then it will be working fast twitch muscles (I think, I am not 100% sure)

vgbjason

the thing with the bricks is way harder on arms than fingers

and i laugh at the essence of your post

push-ups on a wall. . .wow

piemaster

23k4yhd.jpg

rofl

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like the powerball for finger and forearm strength, I feel it has potential to help with cubing.

Here is the home workout I do. When warming up for cubing I basically rotate between doing the parts of this workout that don't involve weights, or I do the same thing only minus the weights. I find this works especially well when done 30-45 minutes before competing.

Wuqiong, I like your idea. I wonder also about the fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. I wonder which workouts will help the most with cubing? I assume mostly the fast twitch muscles are used, but also there is some endurance to longer solves (BIG cubes) or longer cubing sessions. I like your idea of holding the bricks, or some thing, with fingers as long as possible.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: