• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
well. who wants to watch people solve cubes for X amount of days, and what kind of news channel will waste their time
Well, people would be very interested at first, and watch it, but after a bit, I think people would start to think it's "gay". I don't want cubing to get a bad name, and as I have stated earlier in this thread, the Olympics would not be good for cubing. Many people rushing into cubing at the same time is not a good idea.

WCA
2009CHYI01
If cubing is included in olympics, I guess the competitors have to be chosen perfectly. All competitors is at least sub-13 in 3x3 and as well good in other puzzles.

WCA
2004CHAN04
You have to admit though, the way most cubers practice it, speedcubing isn't much of a mind sport. I can see an argument for blindfold solving as a memory sport, maybe.

WCA
2005KOCZ01
You have to admit though, the way most cubers practice it, speedcubing isn't much of a mind sport. I can see an argument for blindfold solving as a memory sport, maybe.
Yes, I agree.
Basically when somebody asks me if speedcubing is a sport or not, I answer: "It's more a sport then chess."
Because:
- We are only interested only in solving time, not in optimal solutions. For example most speedcubers use the 14 moves T-Perm for speedcubing instead of the 10 moves one.
- We practice fingertricks. I've never heard any chess player who practiced fingertrincks for short castling. :p
- We lube/mod our puzzles to make them faster/smoother.

I only don't see any chance to add speedcubing into real Olimpics, as speedcubing/WCA is young (10 years old) and as I know WCA is still unofficial. And I heard this association today (because of our Brigde team), so this could also be an improvement.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
ThomasJECubing
- We practice fingertricks. I've never heard any chess player who practiced fingertrincks for short castling. :p
Maybe in blitz/lightning chess. But, in high profile chess tournaments, you can only make moves and press the timer with one hand. So, 'fingertricks' may come in useful.

WCA
2012PATE01
18 would be no problem. Off the top of my head:
USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Holland
Germany
Belgium
France
Japan
Hong Kong
China
Brazil
UK (or is it separated into the four countries, so England?)
Poland
Greece
Finland
Korea

There are tons more in the database.

EDIT: I only got 17, another would be... Hungary!
GREECE i am NR champions with sum of average and single ranks olympica should at this it would be awsome

YouTube
pipkiksass
Er, I really don't think speedcubing would ever be considered as an Olympic sport. Primarily because it's not a sport. Secondly, because it needs to be sanctioned by an international sport federation, which it isn't. Thirdly, because it would need to be approved by the International Olympic Committee to replace an existing sport, which wouldn't happen, as these sports have significant financial backing.

I'm not saying cubing isn't exciting, before people jump down my throat, I'm just calling it like it is.

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
abunickabhi
I got interested in speedcubing only from 2012.till then i thought speedcubing was the weirdo and unneccessary thing.but seeing the efforts put in by top speedcubers and the intense competition in 3x3 i see it as a future sport.i also had a long debate with my friend that eventually cubing will take over football in popularity.i say this eventhough im a football fan.i think cubing is a 21st century sport and has become a full fledged sport since 2014 (since getting better in it isnt trivial nowadays).Also skills like mind speed,recognition,memory,processing,decision making and experience builds a good speedcuber.i have been seeing olympics intensely and i feel comparing to most of the sports cubing is comparable.it can grow in recognition and sponsorship but the only downside is that it is new.i wild guess is another 15-20 years and cubing will be a top sport.and for those ppl who think the records are now unbreakable.i think when the record starts getting unbreakable the sport is really born testing the limits of human