• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Roux method

rubik'scube

I'm currently getting ~65 second averages, and I've just learned the 4LLL algorithms, and I'm hoping that I can get my average down to 55s. I've looked at the different methods available, and I was wondering: is the Roux method ever used for speedcubing?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yes! it is great! You can probably get a 15s average with lots of practice. But most people don't use it. It would be more difficult to find help than if you were to use Fridrich. But it's quite interesting. I'm starting to learn it myself.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
If i were to start again, I would seriously consider learning Roux... but I already know too much Fridrich, and the prospect of re-learning a method is not that exciting to me. I think you should do it, and let us know what you think

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'd recommend Roux. After going sub-15 w/ Fridrich, I decided to switch over to Roux. I've been seriously practicing for about 2 weeks, and I am down to 30 second average. I honestly think it will be the top method to use one day.

I like Roux except for the edge orienting step, it can end up frustrating me, with Fridrich I can gradually add more and more algorithms if I feel the need to get faster (I'm sure I will).

If both are on the F side, do a U2 and then a y2 so that the top front and back bottom are the wrong ones and then do M`U M (I learned a lot when someone told me that you have to have 2, 4, or 6 wrong edges).

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm using a diffrent method for Roux last step. It uses a few turns more than the original but is has got faster recognition and is, at least for me, easier to do.

1. Place centres and BD edge ... this leaves 5 edges to solve.

2. Orient all edges ... 9 cases I think it was but to me it's intuitive solving using M' U M as base.

3. Place FD edge ... M' U2 M ... Often you can do this while orienting in the previous step.

4. EPLL .... U-PLL, H-PLL and Z-PLL ... skips 1 of 12 times.

Lighting fast :)

I can post the algs for orientation if you like? (it's some work so I don't do it now). Edit, iI counted them, t's only 5 cases, you will easily find the "algs" yourself =)

EDIT: note that the worst case of six unoriented edges does not occur using this style.

Last edited:
Yeah, they do all resolve to another case, but sometimes it keeps going back and forth between them for (what feels like to me) a long time.

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Waddayasay, I just did a couple of Roux solves and had 22.21 EPLL-skip as best (happens 1 of 12 solves), also a 23 sec but rather lucky and a few 25-27 second non lucky solves. But most times it was 30-35 becuse I'm not used to this method, just know all steps from other methods I know.

Note that my best average using my speed method is 28 seconds, so... it's definitly worth learning, it's a wery nice method.

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
EO is one of the easiest steps, like Dan said. Just takes practice w/ recognition, like anything.

And when solving, don't rotate the cube. That is one of the advantages to Roux, you can solve without even rotating, and it really improves your times. And a typical Roux solve is like 48 moves, nearly 10 less than w/ Fridrich.