• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RotoSphere -- This time for real

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ayy how ironic! I remembered my brother had a cube similar to this and I just started playing with it before finding this thread. my brother got it from our grandpa. Apparently this was an old puzzle he must have had when he was a kid or something idk really know, but heres a picture of itView attachment 14502

Looks like a much easier version of a V-sphere

1610241730254.png

Pawel

Wow this is a nice twisty puzzle. I hope you get the patent approved, and more people start enjoying this puzzle.
I don't have to have the patent approved for starting production and marketing (patents take 2+ years to be approved) -- The main delay is in manufacturing and getting into distribution... In my case since I am giving it a chance to try the licensing route before I commit to starting a company, there is the extra time that will be spent on finding a partner that will make serious commitments. (This process has already started the initial response looks promising)

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't have to have the patent approved for starting production and marketing (patents take 2+ years to be approved) -- The main delay is in manufacturing and getting into distribution... In my case since I am giving it a chance to try the licensing route before I commit to starting a company, there is the extra time that will be spent on finding a partner that will make serious commitments. (This process has already started the initial response looks promising)
I hope it gets manufactured soon! I can't wait to try one.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good luck for all the legal process ahead, U' F R' E' R F' R E R' U.

Pawel

what would you consider the "solved state" for this puzzle? looks really cool, just a little confused at what you would consider "solved"

RotoSphere is pattern-based, so it has multiple "solved states" with "half and a half" being the easiest... (you just need to move the colors to separate hemispheres without the need for precise location for each tile).

As you start the puzzle you pick the destination you want to go to --"half and half", "zigzag", "wave", "island", "zigzag island", "star", "zigzag star", "hollow star", "hollow zigzag star" -- Those are based on symmetry with a pentagon on top. Plus you have additional symmetrical patterns base on a triangle on top -- "Wave", "Dot Wave" "3 Dots Wave". It is also possible to create non-symmetrical patterns like the "bandit" I've shown earlier (red and yellow) or discover and share your own patterns to solve.

I suppose this is where RotoSphere forges its own way in the "twisty puzzle" universe -- you have many places to go! I even envision devising a system wherein maybe the competitive setting patterns could earn extra points -- obviously, this would be something that would evolve through experimentation from within the community of players... It may or may not work -- Everybody would start from the same place, but end up at different destinations.

Also, I already know that there are multiple algorithms to use for the same situations -- I am sure there will be more that will be discovered. This is what made me excited about this concept and I decided to move from virtual to physical forms. Think of RotoSphere as a spherical origami... You make things up with it!

Pawel

Just an update after a few months of silence. My first preference, licensing path for making RotoSphere wildly available is still on the table, but I am also taking another path -- I started a company Brainy Toys, LLC with the intention of marketing and possibly manufacturing RotoSphere.

There also will be a Kickstarter campaign starting in the next 2-3 months.

I started a campaign already on June 1st, but I pulled the plug after it became clear that the marketing company I paid thousands of dollars, basically was a scam-- they did not do any advertising they were paid for. Such is our world full of crooked people (by the way I prefer twisty over twisted). ;) So, the next time there will be a campaign that will be run under the guidance of a well-known and respected marketing agency accredited by Kickstarter.

Go to https://rotosphere.org/ and subscribe for updates. I will have a raffle and send the winner a prototype once I have 200 subscribers

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry to hear about the marketing company scam.
Have you tried to reach out to a company like qiyi or Calvin's Puzzle? They have the capability to manufacture very high quality puzzles from submitted designs and they are very reputable.

Pawel

Sorry to hear about the marketing company scam.
Have you tried to reach out to a company like qiyi or Calvin's Puzzle? They have the capability to manufacture very high-quality puzzles from submitted designs and they are very reputable.

I think I did approach Qiyi -- there was no answer... But that's OK. Betting on big companies is always asking for a mirracle -- too many people knock on their door all the time and the standard operating procedure is to reject. If, as an examiner of submissions you make a mistake rejecting something, who will know about it? On the flip side if you take on something that is going to be a big flap could become a career destroyer for you)...

Plus, the "not made here" prejudice is very common among employees of large corporations.

In the end, it is small companies and startups that bring innovations to the World.

Pawel

this is an example of how you can take two different paths to get to the same place in RotoSpheree... RotoSphere is like this!

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
I like how it's made of wood, just like Erno's prototypes. It's an interesting puzzle. On a side note, have you ever solved it? and if so, how did you do it

Pawel

I like how it's made of wood, just like Erno's prototypes. It's an interesting puzzle. On a side note, have you ever solved it? and if so, how did you do it

My prototypes are made with 3d printer, not wood. Or are you referring to something else?

As to solving -- sure. It is a lot of fun! Very nice twisting experience... I even enjoy getting lost every now and then.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rotosphere Prototype Review
Hey everyone! I got the awesome opportunity to try out a prototype Rotosphere. Thanks @Pawel! Here are my impressions. I will also make a video on it.

Turning

To be honest, this puzzle doesn't turn very well. But keep in mind that it is a 3d printed prototype in the very early stages. I was even told beforehand that the one I was being sent would be an earlier version, which I am ok with. The turning certainly isn't great, but it isn't unbearable. Nothing that kept me from not enjoying the experience.

Mechanism
The mechanism and pieces on this cube are pretty unique. The pieces have magnets on the feet to connect to a large round metal core. Definitely a makeshift way of holding the cube together, but it works. One thing I do really like about this is that it allows for solvers to easily take pieces on and off and rearrange them. Obviously this could be use to "cheat", but it could also be used to experiment and find new patterns and "solved states" (something I'll talk about in a bit). AFAIK though, this design is being phased out in the later prototypes for something more reliable.

Solving Experience
This is an awesome puzzle to solve! It is mostly intuitive, but surprisingly challenging. It stumped me quite a bit when I first got it! The methods and strategies I used were pretty different than most cubes. But at the same time, it will feel very familiar for cubers. Knowing common cube triggers and algs like the sledgehammer and sune can be very helpful later in the solve.

Multiple Solved States
This is the Rotosphere's main "gimmick" and the main way it is different than other twisty puzzles. This puzzle is absolutely OVERFLOWING with different patterns and states that could be considered solved. I haven't taken the time to explore many of them, but the variations I have tried have made the solving experience feel more fresh and challenging. For those who just want to do a basic solve though, the "half and half" pattern is what I started with as it is the easiest and makes the puzzle look the most "solved". The more complicated patterns all build on the half and half.

Conclusion
Overall I think the Rotosphere has a very bright future. The puzzle experience is some of the best I've had in a while. If the design and turning is improved, and @Pawel is able to get these mass produced, then we've got the next great non-WCA cube on our hands!

Pawel

Regarding the mechanism -- The prototype I had sent you indeed was made several months ago. The new prototypes are much better but I don't have enough of them... My intention is to make the first release with magnets, so this early edition will be great for experimenting and learning.

I already have another mechanism I am experimenting with, but I will need to make sure that I am not accidentally doing something that will be infringing on some other patents...