• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Remember my cubers survey from a few months ago? Here's the talk it informed!

tenpn

I did a talk on the history of speedcubing at a large conference for video game developers, diving into how what was essentially a dead toy became a fast-growing sport. It's 30min and you can see it below:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025688/Board-Game-Design-Day-Twists

Thank you so much for the survey responses you gave me. I ended up not using a lot of the raw stats, but the "why I got into cubing" answers were massively helpful. You can find a breakdown of the actual survey here.

I'm sure I made mistakes - I've already had a few pointed out! - but I had great fun giving the talk and am excited to share it with you.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Really solid presentation, great job. Well presented and organized, and really describes speedcubing well. Will definitely be sharing it, cheers for sharing. Out of curiosity, how'd you get a spot at the GDC to do it, and what was your motivation to do it?

tenpn

Really solid presentation, great job. Well presented and organized, and really describes speedcubing well. Will definitely be sharing it, cheers for sharing. Out of curiosity, how'd you get a spot at the GDC to do it, and what was your motivation to do it?

GDC is the biggest conference in our industry, so I'm always looking for ideas for talks to give there. This was my forth. Selfishly, this is good for my career, but I hope some people there found it interesting and useful.

They have an open call for submissions in the summer, although my talk was rejected then! It's hard to pitch a talk about a "toy" to a videogame conference. They have several sub-conferences that have different submission rules, and I submitted it to the boardgame design sub-conference, which I hoped would be more interested in a physical thing, and I was lucky to have them accept it.

Reactions: pjk