• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Red Bull Rubik's Cube World Championships

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
It is quite possible to choose orientation on 5BLD too; several of us do it regularly. But I admit I don't know if any of the fast 5BLD people choose orientation.

I only ever choose from the 6 easy orientations, but I know François Courtès chooses from all of them. It's actually one of the most fun things about 5BLD for me, when it's useful for a given solve.

Uff da. So much for that argument. I was figuring with the fixed centers it would be more like 3BLD that way. Got a better argument for keeping 5BLD than the fact that it's mind-numbingly awesome? I'd be happy to advocate for 6 and 7BLD, but I understand the logistical difficulties with that.

Max Cruz

Cubing isn't a spectator sport because it is not entertaining to watch. Especially from the point of view of someone who doesn't cube. Sure, it might be impressive to look at for a bit, but trust me, no one wants to sit down and watch a whole competition of cubers moving their hands fast for a while until the cube is solved.

Why can not cubing be a spectator sport? As Zerksies and others have said, there's nothing wrong with translating cubing to a racing format to make it more "entertaining to watch."

Just for the lolz. Don’t take offense if you don’t agree :p

Very funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanay B.

WCA
2015BIRA02
I have to say I disagree with this idea that cubing is only for cubers. Of course it's nice to have our own in-group kind of thing, but I don't think it's bad if 'outsiders' can enjoy it as well, even if it's not what we think of as cubing.

Overall, I think that this competition will be good for cubing. Of course, as a cuber, the way this is advertised looks silly and cringey, but I don't think they're harming the WCA or its competitions. It's not like the WCA is going to disappear or all the top cubers are going to sell-out and never go to WCA competitions again. This is really just like the episodes of the Chinese game show "The Brain" that Feliks and some other cubers participated in. We can't expect non-cubers to try and understand how we run our competitions, so I think having these kinds of events is a good way to 'introduce' the public to speedcubing.

EDIT: If Rubik's starts to use this competition to try to ban or destroy WCA competitions, it would be horrible, but so far from what I see, I don't think (or at least I hope) that the two types of competitions can exist together.

We're cubing for ourselves (and the community), not the public. We don't need to change the way we cube if it works well. It's not mainstream and it's not for everyone. I don't know about all of you out there, but I'm not going to change the way I cube for the public.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We're cubing for ourselves (and the community), not the public. We don't need to change the way we cube if it works well. It's not mainstream and it's not for everyone. I don't know about all of you out there, but I'm not going to change the way I cube for the public.

You should speak for yourself and not on behalf of everyone.

Cube Factor

In my opinion, I feel like this competition could be would create a form of competition between the wca and the Red Bull/Rubik's orginizations. Competition like this always allows for growth of the community and a general improvement of quality. This is why YouTube has been going downhill, there is no competing website that is an alternative, so YouTube doesn't need to try and beat anyone so it has become sloppy. I feel like this competition could really expand and improve the community. However, the problem with this competition, is that non of the stuff I listed above will probably happen if the competition is a success. This is because although it is not confirmed, it seems like Rubik's/ Redbull's intention is to completely replace the wca and curbing stores with their own products and competitions. I feel like Rubik's/Red Bull is treating this competition less like an alternative for the community, but more as a permanent replacement. This is my main issue with this competition. I would be fine if this competition would help expand the community, but it feels like their intention for this competition isn't to expand or improve the community, it is to convert community to their own company, which will not work and could possibly break the community apart and cubing will just die out. That is my main concern. I didn't word this very well because it is hard for me to express my thoughts in words so i ramble a lot but I hope my point is clear.

bgcatfan

WCA
2022ALBR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
She could be a strong candidate for the rescramble competition.
One of the world's best blind solvers demonstrating that this is basically going to be approached similarly to a blind solve, which someone mentioned earlier. Interesting that she split the corners and edges into two steps. I wonder how much time the shorter memorization chunks (2 looks) save in the solve compared to a true blind solve (1 look).

Gomorrite

One of the world's best blind solvers demonstrating that this is basically going to be approached similarly to a blind solve, which someone mentioned earlier. Interesting that she split the corners and edges into two steps. I wonder how much time the shorter memorization chunks (2 looks) save in the solve compared to a true blind solve (1 look).
Maybe it is not so much about being faster than about being safer (to avoid a DNR)?

And she didn't just start doing this now, this video is from July:

U

Underwatercuber

Maybe it is not so much about being faster than about being safer (to avoid a DNR)?

And she didn't just start doing this now, this video is from July:

She did it differently then. In this Redbull version she did it in 2 looks wheras that one is one look. Plus the old version isn’t a DNF wheras her Redbull ones were.

turtwig

We don't have to change the way we cube. It's just one competition that's different.

xyzzy

What you need to know+ Our thoughts

The actual content in this video doesn't start until 2:30 and how is expressing your thoughts in a video, where the actual video is of unrelated 2×2×2 solves, any better than just typing out what you have to say? ("you" = whoever made this, in case you weren't the one who made it and you're just linking it here.)

Max Cruz

The actual content in this video doesn't start until 2:30 and how is expressing your thoughts in a video, where the actual video is of unrelated 2×2×2 solves, any better than just typing out what you have to say? ("you" = whoever made this, in case you weren't the one who made it and you're just linking it here.)

Well, a video gets "views" while a post does not.