• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

mr. giggums

WCA
2011BERN02
What is the best possible commutator for this,

http://i.imgur.com/1a5odl.jpg" title="Hosted by imgur.com

I'm doing U R2 (Li' U2 Li E' Li' U2 Li E) R2 U'

[Where 'i' With the L means inner layer L (sorry I'm not so familiar with the notation)]

So I know this is quite bad and there is surely a better commutator with less moves to solve that.Thanks

optimal is (u F2 u') b' (u F2 u') b
or in comm notation [u F2 u', b']
or in your notation (Ui F2 Ui') Bi' (Ui F2 Ui') Bi
or in your notation and comm notation [Ui F2 Ui', Bi']

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Can someone please help me with the Old Pochmann Method?

Whenever I solve the edges, at least one of the top edges isn't oriented correctly.

What am I doing wrong?! (I use T-perm and J-perms)

The two possible problems that come to mind: either you already have some permuted but misoriented edges before starting the solve, or you don't set up and shoot to the top layer targets correctly.
Rule out the first possibility by getting a scramble that doesn't have any permuted but misoriented top layer edges. Then solve this scramble, and whenever you shoot to the top layer, pay close attention and check afterward if you inserted the edge correctly. If not, redo the last alg, and find the correct one.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool,you did that F2 to make white and red center pieces interchangeable right,thanks
Yes, to make things simpler for myself:
-When there are 2 targets in the E-layer, they will be the interchangeable pieces. (I've been doing this from the beginning so have got into a habit, u and d slices are more fingertrick friendly for me anyway)

-The only time I use the buffer in the interchange is when a target is in the D or U face.

eg. Ubl > Flu > Dbr: [r F2 r'] b2 [r F2 r'] b2
eg. Ubl > Flu > Ufr: [r u2 r'] U2 [r U2 r'] U2

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
All you people who use M2 in BLD:

In BLD (as opposed to SpeedSolving) Do you tend to:
A) flick the M-Slice with your ring-finger, (As in M2')
B) flick the M-Slice with your index-finger,
C) Finger-trick it with ring-and-index fingers
D) Do (r2 R'2)
E) Do (R2 r'2)
Or what?

I normally do 2 flicks of my ring finger. But out of curiosity, I started messing about with R2r'2 / r2R'2. In a limited set of trials performing (M2 U)*12 I found I was only slightly slower doing the latter method.

Sighted, I sometimes try to flick the M slice really hard and make it rotate a half turn, but it's ridiculous to do that blindfolded.

If the piece to solve go to L slice:
l' M' L (M' and L done simultaneously -- M' with right ring and L with left hand)

If the piece to solve go to R slice:
r M' R'

peedu

Can someone please help me with the Old Pochmann Method?

Whenever I solve the edges, at least one of the top edges isn't oriented correctly.

What am I doing wrong?! (I use T-perm and J-perms)

There must be a mistake in setup move. Try to give more detailed description. Better with example. Then we can try to find out what is the problem.

Peedu

toastman

So yeah, recently I've not been doing enough BLD, focusing on speedsolving (making big improvements). I've also been practicing quite a bit of 4x4, and started learning all the 3x3 OLLs.

Currently I use Old-Pochmann, and want to move on. I was going to wait until my PB was better, but I've decided to move on. My previous attempt at trying M2 didn't get far, as I was trying to learn it by "algorithms".

WRONG.

When pairing Dedges on a 4x4 (if you suck like I do), you spend a lot of time "flipping" edges, or doing "set-up, solve, undo". You don't need algs, it's intuitive. When I realised this is how all the L and R slice stickers worked in M2 -> Eureka. It's so easy! I only need to learn the 3 "special" algs for the awkward M-Slice stickers and I'm there.

Another Eureka moment I had was when I decided to start trying the TuRBo algs. There's only 8, and I realised that in addition to 2 of them being U-PLL, 2 are basically OLLs that I know. Dayamn, without trying I already know half the algs. And the other 4 are basically variants of "Sexy-M-Sexy".

Overall, I think I'm going to give TuRBo a shot and look for another corner method as well. Sweet!

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to start practicing 4BLD, so I have been considering enhancing my image system by using Person Action Object. Does it really make a difference to differentiate between persons and objects? Couldn't you save yourself a lot of trouble and just use the same set of images for both the person and the object?

toastman

I'd like to start practicing 4BLD, so I have been considering enhancing my image system by using Person Action Object. Does it really make a difference to differentiate between persons and objects? Couldn't you save yourself a lot of trouble and just use the same set of images for both the person and the object?

You could. The benefit I get is I always know what "number" I'm up to. If I'm memoing edges, am on my second "verb" and find I've solved the buffer, I know I have to look for a solved or flipped pair.

Personally I found that coming up with the list of "people" was way harder than the list of "objects". Especially for tricky letters like U. Coming up with verbs is the worst (I've barely got 10%).

I'll post my mega-mega list when I'm done... but it's going to be a long while yet.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wooooooooooooowww I deserve a major facepalm.

I've been teaching this kid (rubiksarlen here) a lot of BLD stuff for some time now, and I told him that Y perm affects the centres of 4x4 and asked him to count the Us and U's to prove it. Today he asked me, 'how about the corner parity fix (PLL parity + T perm)? T perm has an extra U' turn as well'. Then in my head I went 'lol nah' for a few seconds before it dawned on me....he's right!

All this while I've been doing the corner parity swap right after solving corners before solving centres without realising that both PLL parity and T perm affects the centres! So that may be the reason why I had a lot of DNFs with some centres off all this while O.O And I didn't notice at all that all my solves with corner parity are DNFs. So now I know to do the corner swap AFTER solving centres :fp

Oh well, I guess sometimes you learn from noobs too ;P

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Advice to all big cube BLD solvers: if you own a supercube, try all your BLD algs on it before actually using them during BLD solves, so that you will know their exact effect on centers. That migh save you similar DNFs.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Advice to all big cube BLD solvers: if you own a supercube, try all your BLD algs on it before actually using them during BLD solves, so that you will know their exact effect on centers. That migh save you similar DNFs.

I completely agree with this. I also recommend doing supercube BLD solves. It gives you some useful perspective on regular big cube BLD solving.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm trying to make speed optimal comms for a couple bad edge cycles (and their reflections along M). I have some ideas but I'm hoping someone can maybe find something better.

DF -> RD -> FR

u' R2 [U M' U', R] R2 u --> u' R2 U M' U' R U M U' R u

b [U' M2 U, R] b' --> b U' M2 U R U' M2 U R' b'

DF -> RD -> FL

u' R2 [U M' U', R'] R2 u --> u' R2 U M' U' R' U M U' R' u

b L' U' [M', U2] U L b' --> b L' U' M' U2 M U' L b'

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ryan, here was my practice session this morning (3BLD):

1:47.05
1:44.61
1:14.78
DNF
1:06.89
1:00.99
1:58.46

So close, but no cigar! I don't know if I'll have more time to devote to serious practice tonight, but I will tomorrow morning. So you've got the rest of the day for our race! ;)

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ryan, here was my practice session this morning (3BLD):

1:47.05
1:44.61
1:14.78
DNF
1:06.89
1:00.99
1:58.46

So close, but no cigar! I don't know if I'll have more time to devote to serious practice tonight, but I will tomorrow morning. So you've got the rest of the day for our race! ;)

Oh crap. Uhm, I'll go do some solves. I figured I'd have a few days :p. Apparently not.