• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pochmann Memory Methods

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
that is not a bump. this is an 8 minute old thread.

anyway, visual. its incredibly easy, and i dont see why everyone doesnt use it, if they are doing classic pochmann. also, jtw, edit your thread so are specific as to whether you mean M2/R2 or classic pochmann.

EDIT
to stefan, fair enough, ive never, ever tried to use M2 :p

Last edited:

KevinK

WCA
2008KAPI01
For edges (M2), I use letters (learned from Eric Limeback's tutorial). For corners (old Pochmann), I use half visual and half letters (also learned from Eric, from whom I learned the algorithms for M2).

VirKill

YouTube
Visit Channel
Story... PAO method...

It fast and Tim (also many other) said that it can be very useful at competition.

I'm start BLD one and a half month ago and my time drops really fast with this method... now I average sub 3 with PB 2:12.02

it's good memo method... just find it in memory method thread

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Stefan explains his method on his site. There are also tons of memory methods here. Come up with one on your own if nothing else. After all, it is what works best for you.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
jtw, edit your thread so are specific as to whether you mean M2/R2 or classic pochmann.
I think that doesn't really matter. Memorization-wise, they're pretty much the same.

And Ville's advice is what I'd suggest, too. But to answer the question: Journey method with person-action pairs.

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually use Room with person-action pairs. To my opinion, the disadvantage is that I have to arrange the person with the action in my memory and that takes few time. The advantage is that you can build this system in one day and it is fairly safe, so it is a good system to begin.

As pointed out by Pochmann in its tutorial, it is good to use a system base on pairing since it keeps track of the state of the M and R slices.

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use set letter pair images for the edges, eg, Blue/Orange = Bone (BO)

To remember edges I use a link/story method. It's not very fast, I know but I don't have much time to learn a new way at the moment.

I use syllables for corners, (fanwuq's method) but as I'm getting better all the time, I sometimes find that I do corners visually without realising.

mrbiggs

I use Pochmann corners, M2 edges. I started with roman rooms subject-object pairs, but I've switched mostly to journey for single solves and I'm gradually going to mostly visual.

CuberZ06

WCA
2008MERK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For corners, I just use the beginner's method that uses numbers, but for edges I use the Pochmann method and I tap where pieces need to go and just remmember my taps.

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, I'm thinking either numbers or journey. How exactly does visual memorization work?

It is to memorize the path of the cycles. It does not required any system, just look where pieces (or stickers) have to go. It's very direct.

I was using it for the 3-cycle method (the first I learned) and was able to memorize in 2 min. Then I switched to M2/R2 (thanks to Stephan tutorial) and found that visual was difficult. I think it is because there are 20 pieces but 48 stickers. With 3-cycle, I was memorizing the path of pieces. With M2/R2 I was memorizing the path of stickers that produce a more complex pattern. That is just my own experience and I did not push further the visual method. I use person-action now.

Vampirate713

I just use the story method, and remember something that swiches or swaps, to remember to switch to corners, and I put something significant to remember that I am done solving.