• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Please STOP making "Quest" Threads! Do THIS instead!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
There's also a goals thread, which is great for short or long term goals.
And you know, your status in your profile where you can post your updates. I think most 'quest' threads could probably be condensed into profile posts.

With regard to threads in general, I don't think we need a new sub-forum for quest threads. There are only two at the moment that I think are really worth keeping. The petrus thread and the YruRu thread. Both are with non conventional methods, and both are trying to get to a point that is pretty objectively 'fast'.

Sub 20 OH or color neutrality or sub 45 Triangular Francisco are not terribly unique or objectively fast. Those are things you can post about once in the goals thread and keep a link in your signature, or post updates every day/week in your profile status (420 words arent a lot but make two posts if you need to).

Opinions on general "Cubing Journey" threads? They're long term, as they can go until your career ends, and are about just the person's entire cubing journey, not just one goal

YouTube
Visit Channel
There's a bunch out there, but almost none of them are active pretty much the only consistent ones are Porqupine's, mine(if you can call it a quest thread), M&Ms, and a couple new ones that are likely to die soon. It's not that big of a deal since there aren't many active at a time, even if sometimes someone revives it, it usually dies soon.

I do think there should be a Quest sub-forum though. Also if pjk eventually implements the suggestion of being able to see posts from only certain subforums then people could block out quest thread subforum posts
Why am I always forgotten lol

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Opinions on general "Cubing Journey" threads? They're long term, as they can go until your career ends, and are about just the person's entire cubing journey, not just one goal
Cubing journey threads are even worse. That's super broad and even less unique. The whole idea behind the Petrus and YruRU threads is that they're unique methods with a set goal. Not everyone can make those types of threads because they use a 'normal' method and do pretty standard things that aren't unique. That's the exact thing for which status updates are. You don't need to create a thread for your own journey; it's not special. The forum is not your blog.

If you really want to make a cubing journey, write it up in a google doc and link it in your signature. People do that for their PB spreadsheets all the time. Imagine if people made individual threads to keep track of their PBs and posted each time they broke them. No, that would be insane, that's why we have the accomplishment thread. Post your PBs there and link to them if you want to.

I think that this could also work with the quest/journey mega thread. Make a post there and update it weekly or daily. If you want people to find it (guess what I'll say next) link to it in your signature!

Cause your a flipping pineapple
*you're

Cubing journey threads are even worse. That's super broad and even less unique. The whole idea behind the Petrus and YruRU threads is that they're unique methods with a set goal. Not everyone can make those types of threads because they use a 'normal' method and do pretty standard things that aren't unique. That's the exact thing for which status updates are. You don't need to create a thread for your own journey; it's not special. The forum is not your blog.

If you really want to make a cubing journey, write it up in a google doc and link it in your signature. People do that for their PB spreadsheets all the time. Imagine if people made individual threads to keep track of their PBs and posted each time they broke them. No, that would be insane, that's why we have the accomplishment thread. Post your PBs there and link to them if you want to.

I think that this could also work with the quest/journey mega thread. Make a post there and update it weekly or daily. If you want people to find it (guess what I'll say next) link to it in your signature!

*you're
lol, if that's the case, I can make a website for my cubing journey then.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's also a goals thread, which is great for short or long term goals.
And you know, your status in your profile where you can post your updates. I think most 'quest' threads could probably be condensed into profile posts.

With regard to threads in general, I don't think we need a new sub-forum for quest threads. There are only two at the moment that I think are really worth keeping. The petrus thread and the YruRu thread. Both are with non conventional methods, and both are trying to get to a point that is pretty objectively 'fast'.

Sub 20 OH or color neutrality or sub 45 Triangular Francisco are not terribly unique or objectively fast. Those are things you can post about once in the goals thread and keep a link in your signature, or post updates every day/week in your profile status (420 words arent a lot but make two posts if you need to).
Pretty much this and I agree with most things in this thread. Quest for sub 8 Petrus has been a good example of one of these typs of threads because it has been used, is active and there's actual progress and updates.

YruRU is Briggs btw.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally decided not to post in my thread unless something notable happens (like my recent PB ao12). I edit it weekly, which keeps it updated without bumping it and cluttering the forums. I personally don't mind seeing quest threads, even if they're not anything special, but I understand that others get bothered by it. A quest subforum with options to filter it out sounds like the best solution, but it might be a lot of work to implement.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I think a good solution would be to just make another thread category for this stuff so it's easy to filter it out if you want to

@pjk I do think it is a good idea to have a Quest sub forum. And with that, the ability to filter new posts, so people who want to see stuff like quest threads and off topic stuff can, and people who don’t can just choose not to see them.