• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Parents threw away cubes

I get straight A's, I do music, karate, Religion and art, but my stupid Grandma says "Rubik's Cubing isn’t for girls, why cant you focus on cooking like your cousin Selena?" everytime I do more than one solve a day.
That sucks. Tell your Grandma that there are plenty other girls who cube, and that Erno Rubik invented his puzzles for everyone, not just for guys.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I get straight A's, I do music, karate, Religion and art, but my stupid Grandma says "Rubik's Cubing isn’t for girls, why cant you focus on cooking like your cousin Selena?" everytime I do more than one solve a day.

Sounds like your grandma is from the 1800s or something, when females were meant to cook and clean and stay at home and not do anything...

1cubealot

I can see a parent grounding people from cubes (when I was younger, my parents confiscated all my cubes for two weeks because my grades fell.), but I could never see a parent throwing away cubes. I'm pretty sure your parents took a last-minute stand to "force you to quit", not necessarily ground you.

As I understand from your relatively cryptic post above, you said "yes" to a question without thinking? If so, your parents may think you told a huge lie, or went outside of their morals (very common with religious parents, if you are in a religious household this may explain it) and decided to throw them away in a rage. I would take a few days to cool off and talk to your parents about it in a few days, and try to meet the common ground, and apologize. I'd avoid talking about buying new cubes for a while, as they would probably be super unhappy. As well, I'd try to contribute more around the house. Get off the phone and clean your room and the house, try cooking dinner or doing the family laundry. This will get you on the good side of your parents.

Overall, This may be a good time to back away from cubing for a bit and participate more in life. Even though losing your favorite hobby for a bit sucks, a break can be a really good thing.

I took a long break when i was averageing about 26, 27 and my pb was about 23. Now i am averaging 23, 24 and my PB is 12.914