• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Optimal movecount OLL and PLL can now be found at Speedcubing Portal

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't voice my opinion on the other thread, but who exactly profits from this?
If you are willing to learn a whole new 57 OLLs and 19 PLLs, can you not instead just learn the most basic FMC methods? It just doesn't seem like the reward comes.
It's just a fun thing to know; a cool trick to show your friends.

Like, why do people propose new methods in the new method thread when none of them come close to cfop, roux, zz, or petrus? Because it's fun.
It may not be practical, but that's not really the point.

Thom S.

It's just a fun thing to know; a cool trick to show your friends.

Like, why do people propose new methods in the new method thread when none of them come close to cfop, roux, zz, or petrus? Because it's fun.
It may not be practical, but that's not really the point.
Poor Argument. Novelty Methods are fun and I've tried many over the years. But this now is marketed as to compete in FMC at a low level and it clearly means more work and less reward for speedsolving than other low level things.

Silky

I didn't voice my opinion on the other thread, but who exactly profits from this?
If you are willing to learn a whole new 57 OLLs and 19 PLLs, can you not instead just learn the most basic FMC methods? It just doesn't seem like the reward comes.
It's never a bad thing to have more options to choose from when it comes to algs. For most people Ergo-Optimal algs are going to be the ones they want to choose but for others, for example slow turners or those who are looking to focus more on efficiency, move optimal algs are nice to know ( or at least have the options to choose ). An example could be N perm which, at least the one I know, is 21 moves long ( Trigger into J-Perm. Probably not the recommended one but whatever ) vs the optimal alg which is 14. I wouldn't mind learning the optimal alg personally as it doesn't seem that horrible. Another example could be choosing between 3-Style algs and BH algs. Preference is the point basically.

This wasn't made specifically for you. If you don't think it's useful, well, don't use it. Pretty straight forward.

Also, @Panagiotis Christopoulos, T-Perm is broken. Also good work and thanks for the contribution.

Last edited:

Billabob

Learning these for FMC is utterly pointless and a waste of time. Learning them for speedsolving is even worse, as you're getting your hands used to clunky algorithms and developing terrible habits - it's actively detrimental to your progress. The website is a cute HTML project and it's interesting to have the optimal solutions collected in one place but please don't pretend it's anything more.

That aside, what is the FOLL link you added to the 3x3 subsets page on the Wiki? It doesn't link anywhere and I can't find any information on it. Cheers

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learning these for FMC is utterly pointless and a waste of time. Learning them for speedsolving is even worse, as you're getting your hands used to clunky algorithms and developing terrible habits - it's actively detrimental to your progress. The website is a cute HTML project and it's interesting to have the optimal solutions collected in one place but please don't pretend it's anything more.

This wasn't made specifically for you. If you don't think it's useful, well, don't use it. Pretty straight forward.

Thom S.

With that mindset we don't need the New Method Thread either. Everyone should just dump their ideas onto the wiki or a new thread. Those, who like it will find it.
Look, if you do a thing, you need to learn that some are going to criticise it - the whole point of a forum is to discuss things, otherwise we could all just go on the wasteland that is Cubing Instagram.

I'm not going to elaborate further, but as someone who turns <3 TPS, I think I have at least some grasp on when slow turners need efficiency and when they need fingertrickable sequences.

bulkocuber

@cuberswoop can you see the rat? 😈

One day you'll compete in FMC and your friend will beat you using one of those algs, because a new alg can always be useful.
This was made for beginners and you can't just say "well just learn the basics of FMC" because some people may have problems learning concepts like blockbuilding (or problems doing it efficiently)

Last edited:

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
@cuberswoop can you see the rat? 😈

One day you'll compete in FMC and your friend will beat you using one of those algs, because a new alg can always be useful.
This was made for beginners and you can't just say "well just learn the basics of FMC" because some people may have problems learning concepts like blockbuilding (or problems doing it efficiently)
yes finally someone smart

WCA
2022CHRI09
It's never a bad thing to have more options to choose from when it comes to algs. For most people Ergo-Optimal algs are going to be the ones they want to choose but for others, for example slow turners or those who are looking to focus more on efficiency, move optimal algs are nice to know ( or at least have the options to choose ). An example could be N perm which, at least the one I know, is 21 moves long ( Trigger into J-Perm. Probably not the recommended one but whatever ) vs the optimal alg which is 14. I wouldn't mind learning the optimal alg personally as it doesn't seem that horrible. Another example could be choosing between 3-Style algs and BH algs. Preference is the point basically.

Also, @Panagiotis Christopoulos, T-Perm is broken. Also good work and thanks for the contribution.
oh! we are really sorry about that! We will fix it as soon as possible!

oh my god i created it for the community if you dont want to learn then dont learn it!

oh! we are really sorry about that! We will fix it as soon as possible!
done fixed the t perm

Last edited by a moderator:

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Learning these for FMC is utterly pointless and a waste
No, actually, some of them are worth learning.
Any algs 10 moves or less here will be worth it.
Let's say, for example, you have a 3c2e2e skeleton. A lot of LL algs can solve 3c2e2e cases, and having many move optimal (less than 10 move possibly) algs to choose from gives you a high chance of cancelling some of those moves. I believe a lot of top FMCers know every LL alg under 11 moves, and what they do. This image is taken from Sebastian Tronto's fmc tutorial (a very good read):
4095CC68-4F30-495B-87A0-9B1B29CF36B8.jpeg

Imsoosm

By the way, OLLs 28 and 57 seem longer than the standard alg.
For OLL 28, just do L F R' F' L' R U R U' R'
For OLL 57, just do R U R' U' L R' F R F' L'

I think there are some others that are also longer than the standard one

Last edited:

Silky

I'm not going to elaborate further, but as someone who turns <3 TPS, I think I have at least some grasp on when slow turners need efficiency and when they need fingertrickable sequences.
Well, as someone who also turns <3 TPS, checkmate. Joking aside, I'm just trying to keep things positive.

GodCubing