• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

HoooneyGuy

WCA
2009BOZS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That would be about 45secs average

Thanks I'll have a look at that.

The reason I'm not good at OH fingertricks is that I have hands as small as a grade 5 kid (cause I am :) )

Well,if you practise OH for a long time,your hands will be able to to these fingertricks,I know you don't like to hear that,but the secret is just practise. :D

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
That would be about 45secs average

Most people's OH to 1 hand ratio is like 3:2 or 2:1 so you should aim for sub 2. Seriously if you don't practice you won't improve. Try doing 5 solves a day or something. If you have small hands buy a smaller cube like a mini alpha or something.
If you use left hand for OH, these are the fingertricks I use:
R: ring finger/pinky toward you
R': opposite of R or index finger down toward you.
U: get a corner on FUL and flick towards the back
U': regular U' that you usually use on 2 hand solves
F/F': I ususally regrip and grip the entire F face then do basically a b or b' or rotate and do L or R

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, you've really got to learn to practice.

It really didn't take too much. After about a week or so of hardcore practice, I jumped from around 45-50 seconds to mid 30s, because I was able to learn finger tricks on my own, and learned where rotating the cube was faster than trying to do an awkward alg.

Also, you're not that fast at normal 3x3. Don't expect to be able to grasp OH easily if you're not even sub-40.

My advice: Get sub-30. Preferably sub-25. Know full PLL and quite a bit of OLL, and be able to easily and efficiently do all F2L cases. Learn how to influence LL edges to have easier OLLs. After you've gotten a grasp of regular 3x3, then bring what you know about that to OH. It takes practice to do well OH. Your hand will have to adjust to your style, and you really need to learn to adjust. If you think that you can get better at OH without practice, you're dead wrong. I know people who are sub-14 on 3x3, but barely sub-40 OH.

Overall, OH is probably the hardest thing to start, but exponentially gets easier. Practice, practice, practice.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
OH depends a lot on algs. For me, for instance - if I'm doing a CFOP oh solve then I can get ~50 seconds. If I have an easy oll or pll that I can do 2gen easily (RU) then I can get 40-45. If I get something like a g-perm of a dot OLL then I am usually around 1:00. Just practice all your PLLs and OLLs over and over again with One hand.
also, if I use Roux OH then I can get ~10 seconds faster if I know the CMLL - 1 alg instead of 2. This is more obvious than in 2H, because with two hands there is a 2 second difference between 1 alg and 2, as opposed to 10 seconds.

ncube

WCA
2010BAYL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's also about endurance for oh. That means keep solving until your hand hurts every (or almost every) day. After a little while, your hand won't hurt any more, but you'll get tired after many solves. Also, spamming R and U moves helps with tps, so practice sexy move, sexy inverse, U perms, etc. using the turning style mentioned above. Strengthen your pinky!

aznanimedude

i'm not saying this just because i'm a ZZ solver, but ZZ method seems perfect for doing OH solves just for the fact EO-Line reduces moves required to RUL group (which i feel makes doing OH F2L easier?) and guarantees a Cross for your last layer

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's my story, maybe it'll help.
I didn't start doing OH till I was sub 30, and I still actually don't. I time myself OH every once in a while, but I don't take it seriously.
My OH average? 50 seconds.
I'm sub 20 on 2H now, and every once in a while I randomly turn the cube or do sexy moves with OH.

It really doesn't take much to sub 2 mins with OH if your 2H is good (your F2L 2H is under 20 seconds and you're at most 4-Looks on the last layer).

Also get OH-friendly algs for the last layer if you want to improve OH (like reduce the D, B, L, F turns).

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is 2Look PLL edges first or corners first?

That's good, but remember that it's better for beginners to improve their F2L and their movecount than to keep learning algs. I'm not suggest to stop learning PLLs, I'm saying that you don't need to prioritize them.
4 more to go

That's good, but remember that it's better for beginners to improve their F2L and their movecount than to keep learning algs. I'm not suggest to stop learning PLLs, I'm saying that you don't need to prioritize them.
I use Badmephisto's basic Fridrich F2L

Last edited by a moderator: