• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Square-1 Question Thread

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, I know nothing about Sqaure 1. Whats a good method to get sub 20? And how hard is sub 20? And a good tutorial. Thanks. Ill of course do my own research. Just want to see what you guys say.

Sub-20 takes a pretty solid amount of work. The only method people really use is the Vandenbergh method, and it's good beacause the beginner variation is easily expandable if you want to learn something like cubeshape parity or full EP.

You don't need many algs to be sub-20 though. I probably know around 10-15 total and I've averaged 19 for the past year or so.

WCA
2016WILH03
Sub-20 takes a pretty solid amount of work. The only method people really use is the Vandenbergh method, and it's good beacause the beginner variation is easily expandable if you want to learn something like cubeshape parity or full EP.

You don't need many algs to be sub-20 though. I probably know around 10-15 total and I've averaged 19 for the past year or so.
I currently use Lin, but do you know of any other methods that are expandable like Vandenberg?

Yoshi Cuber

Is that 10-15 algs for ep or for everything?

I am about to receive a volt square 1. What mods should I do to it.

I am going to magnetize but what other mods like replace the nut, low mod, etc should I do and how should I do it.

_effect

WCA
2015VANE01

I am going to magnetize but what other mods like replace the nut, low mod, etc should I do and how should I do it.
You’re on the right track with replacing the nut and doing the low mod, that’s the most important part. If you really want to you can swap the regular volt spring with something softer, like an aolong, hualong, or Shengshou sq1 spring. That mod is totally optional, but it never hurts to do it

Thom S.

I don't recommend magnetizing it from the start since your accuracy will suffer (assuming it's your first)

Yoshi Cuber

How do I finger trick u turns on a square 1?

Do I use my right hand or left?

I use my right index for U and left index for U’. Sometimes in an algorithm you can finger trick it differently so just experiment with different ways of doing algs.

Thom S.

Is it generally considered better to use full EP or CPP combined with all the non-parity EP cases?

Almost noone uses CPP anymore as CSP is objectively better. But if your PLL recognition is like really great, CPP might be a good thing

xyzzy

After just learning how to solve a square one (except the parity algorithm) I was wondering whether there is an faster and easier to learn algorithm for parity when I can recognize it before doing CP?
/3,3/1,0/4,-2/-4,2/-1,0/-3,-3/

The first three slices set it up to shield-shield; the fourth one swaps three pairs of corners; the last three slices undo the setup moves.

xyzzy

I have been trying your algorithm but it seems to give me parity on both layers which can be solved with two edge cycles, it also is not possible to do 4,-2 after 1,0 but I found it worked if I did -1,0.

Also what are the chances of parity
No, it's an H perm on the top layer and diag corner swap on the bottom layer. The alg should be executed starting with both layers aligned with the left equatorial bit.

Probability of getting odd parity is exactly 50% unless you know CSP.