• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Square-1 Question Thread

Since everyone's asking about Sq1 now I just copy paste this

Learn some EO and CP from here. I would suggest this order:

* One-one (DG's alg is silly)
* M2 (using this with one-one gives a decent solution for L-I, I-L and three-three)
* Double M2 (just the previous alg twice)
* L-L (short alg and very similar to the EP alg, and you can't solve it with M2+one-one)
* L-I (very similar to one-one)
* Three-three (also similar to one-one)
* I-L (quite unique alg so will be harder to learn)

For CP:

* Double J (short alg and is very useful)
* Double N (even shorter alg but rarest case)
* N-J (very simple alg, just R2 U' R2 U R2 U' R2 U R2)
* J-N (mirror of previous alg)
* Bottom J and top J
* Bottom N and top N

And for EP:

M2 U2 M2 is very useful. With that and the other two algs, just work on solving cases efficiently.

The most important part is probably cubeshape. Learn scallop-kite ("advanced cubeshape"), and use this list. It's like F2L; don't try learning all of them, but check the list often to see if there's anything you haven't tried.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
I do some weird stuff on squan and don't know if its good or not.
Here goes one: After cubeshape I do cp with making corner blocks so the U layers cp is done. I basically started using this because I hate swapping layers and find that it cuts the alga I have to learn a lot.

Is this an efficient way?

I do some weird stuff on squan and don't know if its good or not.
Here goes one: After cubeshape I do cp with making corner blocks so the U layers cp is done. I basically started using this because I hate swapping layers and find that it cuts the alga I have to learn a lot.

Is this an efficient way?

Just make sure you solve top layer corners to top

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
Is there a commonly-used name for every face-shape for square one? Like scallop, barrel, kite, etc., but I'm wondering about the weirder shapes...

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
I need help with my cubeshape.

SO i do the edge pairing technique, pair until 8, then reduce to cube. This sucks for me, i get 25 second cubeshapes sometimes (usually)

I would like to learn how to do intuitive Scallop Kite. Can someone show me a tutorial?

Josh B

So I got my Square 1 in today, I can solve it all the way up to the parity. But the parity algorithm does not work. My notation is correct, and I am sure I am holding my cube correct, with the little square part on my left. I can only solve it when watching and following along with the YouTuber whose tutorial I watched, but as soon as I'm sight reading the notation, I run into issues where there's a wide piece blocking me from doing a slice move, or a notation such as (0,-2) and on the bottom there is a skinny and wide piece, and I cannot perform the move as it would be -3. I have solved it with parity Only when doing it with the video. I have even filmed myself doing it and comparing the two; I see no difference, yet I cannot do it on my own. My cube physically cannot perform the algorithm. What is Wrong?

Josh B

I had the same problem. If the video works for you than learn from the video.
Hey man, I just don't get it, though. I know the notation, I read it fine, I slowed myself down to doing one turn every few seconds and replaying the video to make completely sure I am doing the right move, and I can do it fine. But the moment I do it on my own, I get a corner piece in the way of the slash, or a corner where it's not supposed to be, like I need a two count but it's an edge then a corner, instead of two edges or a single corner. It's baffling me and I need someone to teach me where I'm messing up. Everyone else says the algorithm works 100% of the time, but it isn't for me.

Hey man, I just don't get it, though. I know the notation, I read it fine, I slowed myself down to doing one turn every few seconds and replaying the video to make completely sure I am doing the right move, and I can do it fine. But the moment I do it on my own, I get a corner piece in the way of the slash, or a corner where it's not supposed to be, like I need a two count but it's an edge then a corner, instead of two edges or a single corner. It's baffling me and I need someone to teach me where I'm messing up. Everyone else says the algorithm works 100% of the time, but it isn't for me.

Like I said post the video of you executing it wrong. But since there's only one 0,-2 in the alg, you're probably doing / -3,0 / 0,3 / 0,-3 / 0,3 / 2,0 / 0,2 / -2,0 / 3,0 / instead of / -3,0 / 0,3 / 0,-3 / 0,3 / 2,0 / 0,2 / -2,0 / 4,0 /

Duncan Bannon

Okay, I know nothing about Sqaure 1. Whats a good method to get sub 20? And how hard is sub 20? And a good tutorial. Thanks. Ill of course do my own research. Just want to see what you guys say.

Last edited: