• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Skewb Question Thread

Omg thanks so much DGCubes. BTW I am big fan of yours. LUV UR VIDS. anyway yea I will definitely try to implement the sledgehammer and hedgeslammer into first layer. Is it ok if I know if you use Sarah's intermediate or advanced method?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Omg thanks so much DGCubes. BTW I am big fan of yours. LUV UR VIDS. anyway yea I will definitely try to implement the sledgehammer and hedgeslammer into first layer. Is it ok if I know if you use Sarah's intermediate or advanced method?

Thank you! :)

The alg actually isn't sledgehammer or hedgeslammer; it's something slightly different. I use probably about 75% of intermediate, and beginners for the cases I don't know. I average around 6 seconds. :)

Oh thats quite strange since I see Antoine Cantin say R' L R L' was a sledgehammer and L R' L' R was hedgeslammer. Thanks though!

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh thats quite strange since I see Antoine Cantin say R' L R L' was a sledgehammer and L R' L' R was hedgeslammer. Thanks though!

That's probably a different notation. I'm using WCA notation; the same thing used for scrambling the puzzle.

I'll make it simple and use Rubik Skewb notation. The alg I'm talking about is r' l r l', whereas the sledgehammer is R' F R F'. Sorry about the confusion! :eek:

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
I use Sarah's intermediate and for solving the last centers I only know the U perm (sledgehammer, y2, sledgehammer). Can someone tell me the H and Z perms that they use? Thanks!

For H perm I use sledge y2 hedge y2 sledge and for Z perm I use R L' U' L U L R L' R (fixed Corner notation). Hold it so the different colour faces are both in the front for Z perm

Jupiter

Is there any way to just flip 2 centers on a skewb without messing up any corners?
Kinda like a U-Perm but only 2 centers and not 3

xyzzy

Is there any way to just flip 2 centers on a skewb without messing up any corners?
Kinda like a U-Perm but only 2 centers and not 3
You mean swapping two centres? That's not possible. (It's not possible even if you allow messing up the corners, in the sense that if you don't rotate and just do normal turns, every normal turn is a 3-cycle of the centre pieces and hence an even permutation; you cannot get to an odd permutation by just doing even permutations.)

xyzzy

Question for the skewb experts:

By WCA regulations, skewb scrambles have to take at least 7 moves to solve. There is, in fact, a roughly 10% chance of getting a 7-move skewb scramble. (This is much higher than e.g. the chance of getting a 6-move pyraminx scramble or a 4-move 222 scramble.)

How often do good skewbers notice such scrambles?

If you seriously practise skewb (even if you don't consider yourself "good" yet), how often do you notice 7-movers?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Question for the skewb experts:

By WCA regulations, skewb scrambles have to take at least 7 moves to solve. There is, in fact, a roughly 10% chance of getting a 7-move skewb scramble. (This is much higher than e.g. the chance of getting a 6-move pyraminx scramble or a 4-move 222 scramble.)

How often do good skewbers notice such scrambles?

If you seriously practise skewb (even if you don't consider yourself "good" yet), how often do you notice 7-movers?
I didn’t know that! That seems like a really high chance. If you only have to do 2 averages to get a 7-mover (theoretically, obviously), then you would think NRs would be happening left and right, but they’re not. I’d also be curious to know how you got those odds.