• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Skewb Question Thread

WCA
2016MOHA06
??????

I'm not sub-7 (I average low 7s), but a general thing to do for blockbuilding-type steps is to plan out as much as you can during inspection, and do slow, untimed solves while particularly trying to be efficient with every move. Try to position the corners so that when you solve one, you also set up another one to be solvable in as few moves as possible.
Lol Sorry about that :D. I was meant to say I was not sub 7 . anyway thanks a lot for the Tips!

RennuR

HOLY CRAP. The Skewb is frikkin weird. I just got one yesterday, and I still have massive trouble turning it comfortably? Im so used to 3x3x3 i feel like I wanna push everything, not grab and twist. Any tips on how to get comfortable turning this thing? Like I feel like i wanna turn horizontally idk. And its so uncontrollable! lol any help?

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
HOLY CRAP. The Skewb is frikkin weird. I just got one yesterday, and I still have massive trouble turning it comfortably? Im so used to 3x3x3 i feel like I wanna push everything, not grab and twist. Any tips on how to get comfortable turning this thing? Like I feel like i wanna turn horizontally idk. And its so uncontrollable! lol any help?
The biggest thing that helped me is realizing how it turns. Specifically that it turns around corners. Other than that, practice.

RennuR

Quick question, im new to skewb and I am confused on the best method, I believe its sarah's method, but does anyone have a good video for a tutorial on it? And all of these tutorials use these weird notations, which one is the best? Thanks again.

KraftDamus

I do a complete beginners method on Skewb, just one alg. Does anyone know a good website to learn intermediateish algs?

KraftDamus

Quick question, im new to skewb and I am confused on the best method, I believe its sarah's method, but does anyone have a good video for a tutorial on it? And all of these tutorials use these weird notations, which one is the best? Thanks again.
Meeeee too! What do we do???

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
Right now, I'm averaging just under 10 seconds, using Sarah's intermediate method. I have PB averages of 5/12/50/100 of 6.9/7.7/8.7/9.1 and a PB single of 2.6. Anyone have any tips on progressing from intermediate to advanced? Is Sarah's advanced the right method for getting faster at Skewb or is there another path?

Looking at Sarah's guide to her advanced method is pretty daunting -- learning 134 cases. Maybe that's what the fast people have done, but I wanted to check if there's a good way to approach it or if there's a better method overall.

VenomCubing

WCA
2017MORT01
I'm looking for a skewb under 10 dollars, and I can't decide. Should I get the Qiyi QiCheng Skewb, which is a dollar and 50 cents more, but has better cornercutting, and ball bearings, or the YJ Guanlong Skewb, with avereage cornercutting and no ball bearings for $1.50 less?

KraftDamus

If you are a beginner on skewb then I would recommend the Qiyi because the ball bearings can help a lot to stabilize the cube because it is really weird when you first try it. If you are more advanced I would recommend the moyu magnetic skewb. Right now the Qiyi QiCheng is on sale for 4.99 at thecubicle.us

VenomCubing

WCA
2017MORT01
If you are a beginner on skewb then I would recommend the Qiyi because the ball bearings can help a lot to stabilize the cube because it is really weird when you first try it. If you are more advanced I would recommend the moyu magnetic skewb. Right now the Qiyi QiCheng is on sale for 4.99 at thecubicle.us
I will not be able to order the cube before the sale is over, that's for sure, though it would be nice. I think I'l go with the QiCheng. Thanks!

Alfonzo

I am thinking about buying my first skewb and after some (a lot) research I have concluded that the MoYu Magnetic, QiYi QiCheng and the Original QiYi skewb is probably the best skewbs on the market. Is this correct? I have heard that the QiYi skewbs have big problems with center caps poping which is a DNF? So right now I'm considering the MoYu Magnetic, but some QiYi reviews haven't commented on cap pops while others have said that it's almost a dealbreaker. I have also heard that the Cong's Design is good but slow and I usually prefer fast cubes. Can someone share their experience with these skewbs? Especially regarding the centercaps of the QiYi skewbs?

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am thinking about buying my first skewb and after some (a lot) research I have concluded that the MoYu Magnetic, QiYi QiCheng and the Original QiYi skewb is probably the best skewbs on the market. Is this correct? I have heard that the QiYi skewbs have big problems with center caps poping which is a DNF? So right now I'm considering the MoYu Magnetic, but some QiYi reviews haven't commented on cap pops while others have said that it's almost a dealbreaker. I have also heard that the Cong's Design is good but slow and I usually prefer fast cubes. Can someone share their experience with these skewbs? Especially regarding the centercaps of the QiYi skewbs?
I don't have any experience with Qiyi Skewbs but I have a Moyu Magnetic Skewb and I think it is awesome. I doesn't lock up because of the magnets. I would recommend that one because it just came out recently and the Qiyi is a few months/years old. I had a hard time decided what skewb to get too.

AidanNoogie

WCA
2017MCKE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If your going to be speed solving, I would get the Moyu Magnetic Skewb, I have the Qiyi QiCheng Skewb and it's not good fo speed solving. So if you want to solve Skewb for fun and dont care about speed, get the Qiyi QiCheng Skewb, if you want to be fast get the Moyu Magnetic Skewb.

Alfonzo

If your going to be speed solving, I would get the Moyu Magnetic Skewb, I have the Qiyi QiCheng Skewb and it's not good fo speed solving. So if you want to solve Skewb for fun and dont care about speed, get the Qiyi QiCheng Skewb, if you want to be fast get the Moyu Magnetic Skewb.
I guess it's a budget cube? Now when both you and @CornerCutter suggested the Moyu Magnetic I'm going to buy it now when it's still on sale.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solving the first layer is mostly intuitive, but here are a couple tips:
Be color neutral, so you can pick the layer with the most pieces already solved when you start.
Try to solve multiple corners at a time. If a move you're using to solve one corner also affects another corner, use that to your advantage.
Experiment with the algorithm R' L R L' and its inverse. I discovered this on my own a couple months ago (although I'm sure it's something other people use as well), and it basically affects 2 diagonal corners in the first layer. It's the only alg I ever use for the first layer, just because it's easily fingertrickable and the case comes up surprisingly often.

Fingertricking the first layer is kind of annoying, but just try to make your solutions as efficient as possible so you don't need to do that many fingertricks. Although, with time and practice, I'm sure you'll come up with some of your own.