• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Pyraminx Question Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the proper way to orient a pyraminx for official scrambling? As I see it, there's a front, left/back, right/back, and bottom face using the official scrambler, and no "top" face. So which of those four faces should be white (or the lightest color), and which should be green (or the darkest color)?

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's the proper way to orient a pyraminx for official scrambling? As I see it, there's a front, left/back, right/back, and bottom face using the official scrambler, and no "top" face. So which of those four faces should be white (or the lightest color), and which should be green (or the darkest color)?
I keep white on front and green on bottom

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I keep white on front and green on bottom
Cool - that's what I do too for the weekly competitions (except I use yellow and green - I don't have a white side). I'm glad I'm not the only one who decided that was the logical conclusion.

Chuberchuckee

Sorry for bumping such an ancient thread, but I have some nooby questions that don't deserve their own thread.

1. What is the best quality pyraminx? I've done some research, and found some mixed opinions. I've heard that Meffert's had great ones, but Erik Akkersdijk said that the ones on cube4you are cheaper and are just as good. Then I heard that an eBay store called "tropicalestore" sells good pyraminxes.

2. What is the best quality square-1? Again, mixed opinions. Some say DIY/mf8 is decent, others say the original is the best while others say the original is terrible.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for bumping such an ancient thread, but I have some nooby questions that don't deserve their own thread.

1. What is the best quality pyraminx? I've done some research, and found some mixed opinions. I've heard that Meffert's had great ones, but Erik Akkersdijk said that the ones on cube4you are cheaper and are just as good. Then I heard that an eBay store called "tropicalestore" sells good pyraminxes.

2. What is the best quality square-1? Again, mixed opinions. Some say DIY/mf8 is decent, others say the original is the best while others say the original is terrible.

1-I personally HATE my c4y pyra but LOVE my Mefferts, although it's technically not a pyraminx, but instead a tetraminx(no tips).
2-I used to have a DIY from C4Y, and I STRONGLY recommend that.

RubiksBeast

Is there anywhere where you can get all the one flip algorithms for the pyraminx one flip method .

Last edited:

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
I don't believe there's pictures anywhere, but drew's video shows the cases, and you don't even need that, you should be able to do it with just the description.

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
What is the fastest method for pyraminx?

Very few pyraminxers would say there is a "fastest method", if you really want to get fast,the method is too use a lot of methods.
I would recommend something like this;
Learn oka, and practice it until you're at least sub-10
then learn 1-flip and practice that until you're sub-6.
Then learn Nutella and/or WO, and then just practice.
For every scramble, you do not just pick one method, but you use whichever method you think is best for that scramble.

Drew Brads (Xtowncuber) has tutorials for all of these on his youtube channel. I would also recommend watching his How To Get Fast video in cubing world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQmdF0cUdM

Last edited:

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very few pyraminxers would say there is a "fastest method", if you really want to get fast,the method is too use a lot of methods.
I would recommend something like this;
Learn oka, and practice it until you're at least sub-10
then learn 1-flip and practice that until you're sub-6.
Then learn Nutella and/or WO, and then just practice.
For every scramble, you do not just pick one method, but you use whichever method you think is best for that scramble.

Drew Brads (Xtowncuber) has tutorials for all of these on his youtube channel. I would also recommend watching his How To Get Fast video in cubing world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQmdF0cUdM
That's was annoys me about this puzzle, I wish this wasn't the case.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
..Would it be a good idea to jump to keyhole method after learning the basic LBL method, or get faster with LBL before learning a new method? Most of my times with LBL fall around Sub-30..

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
..Would it be a good idea to jump to keyhole method after learning the basic LBL method, or get faster with LBL before learning a new method? Most of my times with LBL fall around Sub-30..

If I were you I would practice LBL until you're somewhere around 15, it's good to get used to how the pyraminx works and how the pieces move. Then switch to keyhole or maybe even oka.

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
Didn't the Russian guy have a 3 second average with lbl! ?

He probably had either lucky scrambles or a really good pyraminx. I've been hoping to get a Moyu soon but all I have is a QJ. ;~; ..Could I also see a video of the guy, if possible?

lejitcuber

WCA
2014JAYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3 seconds? I am pretty sure that there has been sub 3 averages and also many 1 looked solves, however I think they were done with algs not intuitive and it would take a long time to learn and get good at so I would just stick with the top first methods as it is easy to transition to the pinnacle of pyraminx speed, intuitive solves.