• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Big Cubes Question Thread

Flexico

Corners first is very easy to learn, since you don't need silly 15-move parity algs. (Wait, I feel like I've mentioned this before.)
Yeah, pretty much this. Thanks. :3

It does look like some of the algs there are incorrect, but what exactly do you mean by "I reduce the 6x6 to a 4x4 by aligning the faces and edge pieces first"?
Well, the 6x6 has 4 edge pieces per edge, and I line up the matching left 2 and matching right 2 so that it effectively has 2 pieces per edge, like a 4x4, since the algorithms I'm using are designed for a 4x4. And I do the same for the center pieces, so that each center is basically 2x2 instead of 4x4. I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, but it's the best I could figure out.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Is there a way to get around the 5x5 edge parity’s? Thanks! Sarahs cubing site has 12 cases.
I believe it has to do with center formation, so the short answer is no, unless you use a cage method, which is generally understood to be sub-optimal for speed solving. What I do is to use my slice-flip-slice back method for l4e until I have a single edge that is either solved (in which case on to 3x3 stage) or unsolved (in which case I do my one 5x5 parity alg on that edge). It's probably worth learning the alg for when you have 2 2-piece blocks paired up as well, but when I average roughly 3:00 on 5x5 I've got bigger worries.

xyzzy

Is there a way to get around the 5x5 edge parity’s? Thanks! Sarahs cubing site has 12 cases.
Easy mode: always use slice-flip-unslice until you're left with a single problematic edge, then use the "OLL parity" alg.

Intermediate mode: recognise whether you have parity the moment you get to L2E, use your favourite parity alg(s), and optionally predict which non-parity L2E case that leads into.

Hard mode: learn all the parity algs.

Insane mode: trace wing cycles during inspection and see if you have parity, then track the number of quarter turns you make on the inner slices and toggle the parity accordingly; make sure you have even parity when you finish your third centre and this'll guarantee a non-parity L2E case if you don't do something weird with your other centres.

xyzzy

Ill try the easy mode. What’s flip alg? I get everything but that. Thank you very much!
It's the same flipping alg you would use with the rest of your edges: R U R' F R' F' R (for E-slice edge pairing) or U' R U R' F R' F' (for M-slice edge pairing).

Merry Christmas everyone. Does anybody knows what is a good book to buy for solving 7x7x7 speed cube please?
Because i have bought speed cube book by Dan Harris, which is good for upto 5x5x5, and also bought Cube yesterday by david singmaster which claims to have solution for 7x7x7 but really, it just contain 1 page on it. Is there any detailed step by step instruction book on solving the 7x7x7 speed cube?

Many Thanks

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you can solve a 5x5 you should be able to extend the same techniques to a 7x7. Failing that, look up some tutorials on youtube for reduction and freeslicing (assuming you don' already do that) and apply to 7x7

@shadowslice e
Thanks for your advice, i use 3x3 reduction method for 5x5 as instructed in dan harris's book. However, i need a set of algorithm that can direct me from beginning to end. Also, i prefer to read books than watching videos

xyzzy

What would the best 5x5 be? I'm looking to get a really good one and so far i'm thinking of the Moyu AoChuang GTS M
Yep, that's the best one. By far.
Aochuang GTS M is certainly the most "value for money" option available so far, but it's not exactly the objective best by a gigantic margin, considering that there are people who prefer the Wushuang M.

The Aochuang GTS M and the Wushuang M are both (allegedly) the best cubes, so it really comes down to (i) cost and (ii) personal preference. For one, you can get the Aochuang GTS M factory-magnetised, which is way cheaper than getting a custom Wushuang M from Cubicle/SCS/CubeDepot/etc. If cost absolutely isn't a concern, see if you can try out both cubes and buy whichever you prefer. (You can also somewhat extrapolate your preferences on other big cubes by Qiyi and Moyu to help you make the decision; e.g. if you prefer the Shadow over the Aoshi GTS, you'd probably also prefer the Wushuang over the Aochuang GTS.)

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aochuang GTS M is certainly the most "value for money" option available so far, but it's not exactly the objective best by a gigantic margin, considering that there are people who prefer the Wushuang M.
"Objective best" is a nonsense phrase since, as the rest of your statement indicates, it comes down to personal preference. Since we're talking personal preferences, there can be no "objective" best.

That said, IMHO, having used both a lot, the Aochuang is miles better.

I do agree that you can kind of guess which you'll like based on other Qiyi/Moyu preferences, exactly as you said.