• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Big Cubes Question Thread

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
According to that I average sub-7.5 on 3x3 given my 6x6 times lol
Yes, they aren't always accurate, because the people who are best at other events practise them lots, so it begins to curve downwards. Also, sometimes the lines aren't always that good even when you ignore this bit.

Ignore the lines, and just look across from your 6x6 times. Go to about halfway through where the points are (e.g. if you average 200s, go to about 13 seconds). That gives a better estimate imo.

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I currently average 2m10s on 5x5 using Reduction.
Is it worth switching to Yau5?
I'm currently getting times between 2:30 and 3:00 using it, and my best is 2:28.xx
I've only done a few solves using it though, I was wondering if it was worth me improving with it?

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I currently average 2m10s on 5x5 using Reduction.
Is it worth switching to Yau5?
I'm currently getting times between 2:30 and 3:00 using it, and my best is 2:28.xx
I've only done a few solves using it though, I was wondering if it was worth me improving with it?
Yau5+ doesn't give as big of an advantage as it does on 4x4, and is equally efficient IMO. I think that it's up to you. You might as well try it though because even if you don't like it, when you go back to reduction, your reduction will probably be faster.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Is it normal to solve edge parity at last layer? I do this for 6x6 (which I guess it's good to do) and for 5x5 too. I find that saving the edge parity for last layer helps me predict the OLL better.

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
I wait for edge parity till last layer too, for me it just feels right, i get so disoriented after doing edge parity so any look ahead into f2l is just gone but my recognition ime for oll is pretty fast so even if i finish the parity with zero idea of the outcome for oll it less wasted time. After parityl prediction is kinda easy if you learn what the parity alg actually does to the cube, you can predict the changes during f2l but multple colors to pay attention versus one last layer color make it harder

Note

WCA
2014LUCI02
this might not be the right place to ask, but where is the best place to buy an 8x8, 9x9, or 10x10?

Erm.. I believe TheCubicle.us has all three of those cubes.. all of them being Shengshous.. Might be available on other sites too but that's the only site I saw them on.

unirox13

Best 6x6 on the market?

I've been away from the speedsolving scene for quite some time. Been mostly focused on learning to solve and collecting unique puzzles.

6x6 has always been one of my favorite cubic puzzles to solve, but my Shengshou is really not cutting it. I'm sure there's something better on the market by now.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Best 6x6 on the market?

I've been away from the speedsolving scene for quite some time. Been mostly focused on learning to solve and collecting unique puzzles.

6x6 has always been one of my favorite cubic puzzles to solve, but my Shengshou is really not cutting it. I'm sure there's something better on the market by now.

Moyu Aoshi is arguably better than the Shengshou, but only arguably.

unirox13

Moyu Aoshi is arguably better than the Shengshou, but only arguably.

My biggest complaint with my Shengshou is how unbalanced the layers are. I've disassembled, cleaned, relubed, and retensioned multiple times to no avail. I'll go to do a 2R or a 3R and the outer layer of the left face will also turn. This happens with almost every deep turn on every layer. It's not really a big problem, more an annoyance, especially since I don't really speed solve the 6x6.

Did I just get a crappy cube or is this a common issue with the Shengshou? And, does the Aoshi have this same problem?