• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 4x4 Question Thread

Thom S.

Hold your 4x4 so the Top Layer looks like in the first picture and do
Rw' U2 Rw' D' Rw U2 Rw' D Rw2

Then you pair up your L4E. This is pretty intuitive but if you need an Algorithm for it. (r' D r U) (r' D' r U') (r' D r U') (r' D' r U') (r' D r U) (r' D' r).

Now you have 3x3 Stage with only one of the easiest ZBLL Cases left.

You need to pair ALL the edges before you move on to 3x3 stage. This includes all the yellow edges.

That is true.

KJre

So I'm now aiming to get faster on 4x4 but I don't know where to start. I'm currently using the yau method, probably not the correct way but I am. I'm currently sub 2min.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
So I'm now aiming to get faster on 4x4 but I don't know where to start. I'm currently using the yau method, probably not the correct way but I am. I'm currently sub 2min.
I’m not the paragon of 4x4 achievement, but my guess is mostly you need practice. I used this tutorial to learn Yau, and after a couple thousand solves I average just above 1:30.

Shurrik

Hi,

I got my first 4x4 Cube a few days ago and always had the same result in the and after starting over. so as far as I know, there is only that one algorithm to circulate 3 corners. but I get 2 corners, that have to be swapped. is this even possible? I already thought mybe someone manipulated it but when I tried to remove the edges with a screwdriver it seemed like you cannot do this with this cube.
thanks

after having the 3x3 cube for years I got the 4x4 this week. As I try solving it, I always get this result in the end. As far as I know, I can only circulate 3 corners. Whats wrong there? Did I miss one algorithm or so? The color scheme is also right isnt it?

Last edited by a moderator:

bcube

bcube

AbsoRuud, by that logic, he/she could solve the dedges/composite edges on the left-hand side simulator (see that earlier linked page) by a U move (plus a 3-cycle of those pieces). However, then he/she would be stuck in an infinite loop (if your recommendation would be applied).

xyzzy

AbsoRuud, by that logic, he/she could solve the dedges/composite edges on the left-hand side simulator (see that earlier linked page) by a U move (plus a 3-cycle of those pieces). However, then he/she would be stuck in an infinite loop (if your recommendation would be applied).
And the solution to that would be to temporarily stop thinking of the composite edges as being composite edges, but to attempt to solve the individual edge pieces with 3-cycles. No infinite loop!

bcube

And the solution to that would be to temporarily stop thinking of the composite edges as being composite edges, but to attempt to solve the individual edge pieces with 3-cycles. No infinite loop!

Indeed :)

I wouldn't be objecting at all if AbsoRuud added to his/her answer what you have said (sure, it might be obvious for him/her, but I am not convinced it is also so obvious for Shurrik). Especially if a 4x4x4 beginner is asking.

When solving a 4x4 with beginner's method I have all the centers and i have paired all the edges. I am now solving like a 3x3 but the white corners are flipped so the white is one white side the red is on blue side and the blue is on red side on all white corners. How do I fix this?

Make the color scheme the same as it is when solved. It will probably be White top, green front, and red on the right face.
To swap the blue and red faces (on F and U) do this: r U2 r2 F2 r.

To swap opposite faces (R and L) do u2 R2 L2 u2

Hazel

Premium Member
Yep! hold the cube with yellow in top and green in front and do this to solve OLL:
U R U R' U' Rw R' U R U' Rw' U R U R' U R U2 R'
In general though, if you're trying to learn to solve 4x4, don't use layer-by-layer. Instead, look up a tutorial for the reduction method.

rcgldr

It might help to know that this pattern only occurs when there are an odd number of pairs of edges flipped, and that one of those pairs in the image is one of the flipped pairs (I don't know how difficult it is to identify flipped edges before solving nearly all of them). You can use the 12 turn 3x3 flip edge sequence to flip one of those pairs shown in the image with an pair on the back side (same side as one of those front side pairs in the image) (this involves moving the two inner slices at the same time, as if they were the middle slice of a 3x3), then the two pairs of edges shown in the image can be paired up using the normal 4 turn sequence.

Yep! hold the cube with yellow in top and green in front and do this to solve OLL:
U R U R' U' Rw R' U R U' Rw' U R U R' U R U2 R'
In general though, if you're trying to learn to solve 4x4, don't use layer-by-layer. Instead, look up a tutorial for the reduction method.
Does that work for OLL every time?