• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

OLLs and PLLs: Do you know them?

What is YOUR status on the last layer?

• Full PLL and Full OLL

Votes: 82 36.4%
  • Full OLL and 2-look PLL

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Full PLL and 2-look OLL

Votes: 81 36.0%
  • 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • I'm learning Full OLL

Votes: 51 22.7%
  • I'm learning full PLL

Votes: 27 12.0%

• Total voters

jackdexter75

YouTube
Visit Channel
My pb is 21 sec. and I avg 25 sec. I don't know all the full pll or oll. I recommend learning 1 look oll and pll. learn pll first cause it shortens your time way more than oll. two look oll takes me about 2-3 sec. big woop. just learn the oll cases over a period of time when you can only concentrate on them, they are easy to learn though. 1 a day is easy to do, 2 or more depending on what cases they are. I know probably 15 olls and I lack 5-6 of 1 look pll. to be fast you do not have to know 1 look oll and pll. it does help though. and why not learn them? but pll is best to learn first if you really want to see a time change. I say if you are 30 sec or more... get a better f2l. my avg for ll was 7 sec and my avg for f2l was 30 sec... this was a week ago. my f2l is now sub15 and my ll is the same. and now I am avg. sub 25. that was a mouthful, but I thought I would say it cause this is kinda where I'm at/ past.

dada222

I'm finally taking the time to learn full PLL, like I said earlier I already know full OLL. So far, I can agree that they shorten your times more than OLL does, but that remains to be seen.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
21 PLL's, 33 OLL's.

Apart from the 2 look OLL's, I figured them all out myself apart from the one what thrawst teaches in his memorising algorithms tip of the week (I learnt it as he was learning it :p)

WCA
2010YUPH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Woah. I know, like, 5 OLLs and 7 PLL's and I average 22 seconds. Practice with what you have and youll come a long way. That how my PB of 16 seconds is with the beginners method. :O

Yes, but this will fail when you apply it to OH and if you want to get faster than a 20s average.

JasonD

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know full OLL and PLL. I average 26 seconds. Most of F2L is intuitive but I am starting to learn algorithms for tougher cases. A few can be done at multiple angles, but not many.

I am impressed at all of your times without knowing the full sets. Your hands are just fast. That's what I need to work on next....

Feryll

I myself am surprised at how many 2 look last layerers are out there. I thought I was a bit odd for knowing full oll and pll at this level, but apparently it's not too uncommon. But now, I am feeling awkward. What do I "learn" next? Only practicing seems a little uncannily boring for me, so I always have a second task to bide my time when I am tired. I think I'll start with more lookahead and X-crossing...Or 2x2

JasonD

YouTube
Visit Channel
Feryll,

I'd say learn the F2L next. Even once you know them all as algorithms, some of which would be more efficient than intuitively solving them, you could then learn how to do all 42 possibilities from all 4 angles. That's a lot to learn.

Another thing is to learn how to do the cross without looking, with your eyes shut. And learn to do it on both the white and yellow sides (or whatever colors are opposite on your cube), picking whichever is easiest to do. Furthermore, you'll need to get used to the reversed ordering of colors when you choose the opposite side, which isn't too hard to do, but it does slow you down a bit.

Feryll

Feryll,

I'd say learn the F2L next. Even once you know them all as algorithms, some of which would be more efficient than intuitively solving them, you could then learn how to do all 42 possibilities from all 4 angles. That's a lot to learn.

Another thing is to learn how to do the cross without looking, with your eyes shut. And learn to do it on both the white and yellow sides (or whatever colors are opposite on your cube), picking whichever is easiest to do. Furthermore, you'll need to get used to the reversed ordering of colors when you choose the opposite side, which isn't too hard to do, but it does slow you down a bit.
Thanks! I am already full color neutral, with no advantage over any particular color. I already know all the f2l algorithms from the front two angles (just by muscle memory anyway. The ones where the edge pair is connected but corner is twisted/edge is flipped, I actually know the algorithms.) I just don't know the ones where the edge is permuted right but the corner isn't oriented/permuted. I'll learn those. I'm also looking for smexier oll's and pll's.

Last edited:

chris410

I finally have full PLL down however, I need to practice more to develop the muscle memory and execute the algorithms faster and smoother. They were not too hard to learn, I wrote them down on note cards and worked on learning them when i had time.

Once I gain some speed I will start on full OLL. I think it will take about a month of practice (I get maybe 1 hour per day to practice if I am lucky)

Feryll

I finally have full PLL down however, I need to practice more to develop the muscle memory and execute the algorithms faster and smoother. They were not too hard to learn, I wrote them down on note cards and worked on learning them when i had time.

Once I gain some speed I will start on full OLL. I think it will take about a month of practice (I get maybe 1 hour per day to practice if I am lucky)

Lol, yeah. That's how I was on my OLL's before I got them completely right, except I sued that one member's super helpful OLL excel sheet. I suggest you use it too, it makes learning them extremely easy.
EDIT: Dangit, I have problems typing 'used' right...But at least I catch the 'jsut's before I post. Oh well, too late to change it.

chris410

21 PLL's, 33 OLL's.

Apart from the 2 look OLL's, I figured them all out myself apart from the one what thrawst teaches in his memorising algorithms tip of the week (I learnt it as he was learning it :p)

that is a good idea, I used a pll trainer which helped cut the time down and improved my recognition. I will compete in the Baltimore Open however, I am not very fast so if I can simply remember all the algorithms and finish my solves I will be happy. Thank you for the spreadsheet suggestion.