• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

how do people average around 15seconds without using plls and olls?

dylan0606

so i have seen alot of people on here saying that they average about 15 seconds with using 2-look oll and pll i use 2-look but i still only get average 1minute im really confused about this

thanks in advance for any advice and answers :)

Last edited:

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Having a good average with any method takes months, if not years of practice. Don't let that discourage you though. Everyone starts somewhere.

Although, if you're not using a speedcube yet, you should definitely get one; your times would definitely go down at least a little bit.

dylan0606

Having a good average with any method takes months, if not years of practice. Don't let that discourage you though. Everyone starts somewhere.

Although, if you're not using a speedcube yet, you should definitely get one; your times would definitely go down at least a little bit.

ok thank you i already have the rubik's brand speed cube but im soon getting the dayan zhanchi its in the mail im just waiting on it to be delivered

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
People who get around that time use lots of other techniques that you're probably not using, efficient F2L, lookahead, blind crosses on the bottom, stuff like that. Having good times is more than just PLL and OLL, it's just an easy way to help yourself solve faster.

dylan0606

People who get around that time use lots of other techniques that you're probably not using, efficient F2L, lookahead, blind crosses on the bottom, stuff like that. Having good times is more than just PLL and OLL, it's just an easy way to help yourself solve faster.

what is lookahead and blind crosses on the bottom?

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
what is lookahead and blind crosses on the bottom?
Lookahead is seeing what your next move is going to be so you don't have to pause at all during a solve, that's why fast people seem like they're doing the solve in one continuous motion. And blind crosses on bottom are the first step of CFOP, cross, done on the bottom of the cube (this way you don't need to do a rotation to transition to F2L) and without looking and the bottom of the cube. You're supposed to plan your moves in inspection.

These are just examples I gave but lookahead can really help your times out a lot.

dylan0606

Lookahead is seeing what your next move is going to be so you don't have to pause at all during a solve, that's why fast people seem like they're doing the solve in one continuous motion. And blind crosses on bottom are the first step of CFOP, cross, done on the bottom of the cube (this way you don't need to do a rotation to transition to F2L) and without looking and the bottom of the cube. You're supposed to plan your moves in inspection.

These are just examples I gave but lookahead can really help your times out a lot.

how could i learn to do look ahead?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
how could i learn to do look ahead?

Speaking as someone with bad lookahead, but not non-existent lookahead: the common advice is slow turning, and it's not bad advice. Try not turning, or at least not finishing a turn until you see at least the next two turns that you are going to make. I have also found that OH solving is helpful, both because turning is more difficult (and therefore slower) and because with only one hand gripping the cube it is easier to see more pieces at once.

dylan0606

Speaking as someone with bad lookahead, but not non-existent lookahead: the common advice is slow turning, and it's not bad advice. Try not turning, or at least not finishing a turn until you see at least the next two turns that you are going to make. I have also found that OH solving is helpful, both because turning is more difficult (and therefore slower) and because with only one hand gripping the cube it is easier to see more pieces at once.
What is OH solving?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't have a very good F2L, Cross, and I don't know full OLL or PLL and I average 11s

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
OH stands for one handed. And some words of advice, Learn the best F2L out there. And Don't worry about how fast you turn the cube yet, you do finger trick right? I wouldn't get into OH until you're sub-30. Also, Don't worry about you're last layer, just work on you're cross and F2L, Make sure you solve your cross on bottom. Once you have learned good F2L then worry about look ahead. This advice should get you down to 40 seconds or so with a few weeks of practice, then work on your look ahead by intentionally solving slow half of the time and the other half of the time try turning faster to increase your turning speed, after a few weeks of this, solve some where in between those two turning speeds and see if you still can solve without pausing, then practice this for a few more weeks. now you should be down to 25 seconds or so. Once you get here, Learn 2- Look LL, solve without cube rotations, try to see farther into your solve with inspection, and work on TPS. Practice this for a couple months and you should reach 15-17 seconds or so. After this you should learn advance algs and try to optimize your move count, learn X-cross, and some OLLCPs. Don't worry about anything I said beyond the 40 second mark, until you get to it, by then you should have heard of the meaning of the next step.

I myself am a 13 second solver using 2 look last layer and some winter variation as well.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I wouldn't get into OH until you're sub-30.
I have only been doing OH at all for the last couple of weeks, and I know that I'm overall pretty slow, but I still think that OH practice is largely responsible for dropping my 2H times from ~42 seconds to ~35 seconds. In that time I've gone from ~2:00 to ~1:10 OH. Other than holding off learning big alg sets until you understand what's going on with the cube, I really don't see the point in waiting until you improve or reach a certain time to learn something new.

dylan0606

OH stands for one handed. And some words of advice, Learn the best F2L out there. And Don't worry about how fast you turn the cube yet, you do finger trick right? I wouldn't get into OH until you're sub-30. Also, Don't worry about you're last layer, just work on you're cross and F2L, Make sure you solve your cross on bottom. Once you have learned good F2L then worry about look ahead. This advice should get you down to 40 seconds or so with a few weeks of practice, then work on your look ahead by intentionally solving slow half of the time and the other half of the time try turning faster to increase your turning speed, after a few weeks of this, solve some where in between those two turning speeds and see if you still can solve without pausing, then practice this for a few more weeks. now you should be down to 25 seconds or so. Once you get here, Learn 2- Look LL, solve without cube rotations, try to see farther into your solve with inspection, and work on TPS. Practice this for a couple months and you should reach 15-17 seconds or so. After this you should learn advance algs and try to optimize your move count, learn X-cross, and some OLLCPs. Don't worry about anything I said beyond the 40 second mark, until you get to it, by then you should have heard of the meaning of the next step.

I myself am a 13 second solver using 2 look last layer and some winter variation as well.
Wow cool great advice thank you could we possibly keep in touch if need any questions lol?