• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

OLLCP discussion

Angry_Mob

Jay sent this a while back

Why I Don't Do OLLCP

If I had a dollar for every time I've declared x thing in cubing to be "overrated", I'd probably have like 7-8 dollars...

But really, OLLCP isn't something I strictly "never" do in my solves. There's absolutely a time and a place for it

However, after spending a lot of time recently optimising my LL, I realised that of the few OLLCP cases I DID use, most of them weren't helping me...

This is definitely a byproduct of me heavily optimising my PLL's, as well as knowing enough ZBLL to justify occasionally doing EO>ZBLL rather than OLL>PLL, or OLLCP>EPLL

However, OLLCP is something I do get asked about pretty often, among other alg sets since I'm kinda known for being good with algorithms. As such, it makes sense to write on the topic

How useful OLLCP is going to be for you really depends on a few main factors

Firstly, how optimised are your PLL's? Do you use the fastest algorithms and best fingertricks possible for each of the 21 PLL's?

You know, the cases that are going to come up in EVERY SOLVE?!?

I emphasise the part about them coming up every solve because I often get the Reddit-dweller-mouth-breathing-intellectual response of "well um ackshually if you learn all 300whatever OLLCP algs, then you NEVER get non EPLL's ever ! ! ! I think this method is EPIC and has uNtApPeD pOTeNShAl"

To which I say, sure thing Buckaroo. If you really wanna learn 300+ algorithms and pat yourself on the back for being cool instead of getting really really proficient at like, 80 algorithms, be my guest

Oh and if you get an OLL skip then you can still get nonEPLL PLL cases, LOL

So that's point number 1

Point number 2, OLLCP only saves time if the time difference between doing OLLCP is made up for with a faster PLL

Some basic math that I'm sure 200IQ Redditors will be able to handle

Time of OLLCP execution + Time of EPLL execution = Some number
Time of OLL execution + Time of PLL execution = Probably a lower number, a FASTER number

And for what it's worth, I don't think recognition is a key factor for either OLLCP or PLL. Given enough practice time, OLLCP recognition should come automatically with standard OLL recognition unless it's something like a Sune/Antisune corner case from an awkward angle

Plus PLL recognition is, well, PLL recognition. Yes, some cases are a bit easier to see than others (Eperm vs Uperm for example), but again, given enough practice time it shouldn't be a key factor at all

So there you have it

A free formula for you to use when it comes to testing how worthwhile an OLLCP case is for you

Some random OLLCP algs that I like that might not be super common

f R' F' R U R U' R' S' (sub .6)
f' r U r' U' r' F r S (sub .6, surprisingly faster than the above for me as well)
R U R' U R U' R' U R U' R' U' R' F R F' (sub .7 though extremely reliant on TPS. I personally prefer EO>ZBLL here for this OLL)
x R' U' R D' R' U2 R' U' R2 D (sub .6, the regrip is a little annoying though and I think EO>ZBLL will be better long term for this OLL)
R' F U R U' R2' F' R2 U R' U' R (sub .7, my fastest OLL for this case. Another one where I think I'll gravitate towards EO>ZBLL)

~

That's all for now

Any questions let me know

Sub to his newsletter: https://jaydenmcneill.com

Last edited:

Kristapsas

This is prodably true, but im gonna explain my reasoning: I like M moves, EPLLs have those, and im way too far into cfop to switch to roux so i figured i might as well learn seperate olls to get eplls
Well if you like M moves you should check out CFCE

Kristapsas

Well Its definetely more worth it than learning full ollcp. The only down side to CFCE comapred to CFOP is that LL recog is slower but ofcourse with enough practice that probably could be sorted

Kristapsas

Let me know how it goes. Its a very unpopular method so alot of people would probably be interested to hear your experiences

N's-cvt

I'm going to be learning some OLLCP's for fun and for generating some algs with the generators, so I was thinking about what people do for recognition because I think there are 2 main methods to do it and that is to:
(1) In COLL where you AUF your OLL, look at the corners, and do the alg. Or in this case AUF based on the corners, look at the corners, look at how the edges are, do alg.
(2) AUF to where you normally preform the normal OLL alg and recognize CP from there.
I think I like method 1 more.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I'm going to be learning some OLLCP's for fun and for generating some algs with the generators, so I was thinking about what people do for recognition because I think there are 2 main methods to do it and that is to:
(1) In COLL where you AUF your OLL, look at the corners, and do the alg. Or in this case AUF based on the corners, look at the corners, look at how the edges are, do alg.
(2) AUF to where you normally preform the normal OLL alg and recognize CP from there.
I think I like method 1 more.

Recognize OLL, then recognize CP(no bar, bar on left, bar on back, etc.). Also OLLCP is generally considered to be not worth it, but if you want to learn it I'd recommend AlgDb's list

xyzzy

For most cases, recognise OLL then do CLL recognition, usually at the same angle that I normally use for that OLL alg. For a few cases, recognise CLL then find the bad edges (this only works for the immediately-obvious CLL cases like the checkerboard-pi case).

(This is what I do and is not a recommendation that you should definitely do the same thing.)

Silky

Has anyone implemented this into Roux solves/ have any algs been developed specifically for Roux? Something for dot cases could be nice. Although I'm assuming that EOLR is generally better with the addition of having fewer algs.

zzcuberman

Has anyone implemented this into Roux solves/ have any algs been developed specifically for Roux? Something for dot cases could be nice. Although I'm assuming that EOLR is generally better with the addition of having fewer algs.
yes people use ollcp instead of cmll algs to orient edges. just like they said above though its not worth it most of the time.