• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

xyzzy

Anyway, does anyone have a breakdown of times for each step? I assume the breakdown will be different than for 4x4 because edge grouping will take longer.
Had these numbers saved from somewhere; not sure how applicable/relevant they are.

First two centres: 15%
Partial cross: 15%
Last four centres: 20%
Last cross edge and edge pairing: 35%
3×3×3 stage (with cross already solved): 15%

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I think this cube is absolutely fabulous! Like you said, it is probably the quitest cube ever produced. And it turns so nice that it is an actual joy to solve. I love it!

I'm still exclusively using the Dayan for practice. It's another really busy period with work and I'm rarely doing timed sessions, however... that's usually the real tell-tale on whether I switch back to the GTS2M or not: break out the stackmat and sit down to do 50+ solves. But between the better shades and the feel I still really enjoy this puzzle and have used it exclusively since I got it.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Just smashed through 2:00 for 5x5 single with a 1:50.77. Previous best in my regular 5x5 cstimer session was 2:05.65. Just a nice smooth solve, I remember two f2l pairs inserted with F’ L U F L’, or something to that effect, and ended with a G perm. Centers and edges just flowed well.

I may have just come up with a new incentive to practice blind: there’s a comp in June that I might be able to get to that’s FMC, then all Blind events and Feet.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Just smashed through 2:00 for 5x5 single with a 1:50.77. Previous best in my regular 5x5 cstimer session was 2:05.65. Just a nice smooth solve, I remember two f2l pairs inserted with F’ L U F L’, or something to that effect, and ended with a G perm. Centers and edges just flowed well.

I may have just come up with a new incentive to practice blind: there’s a comp in June that I might be able to get to that’s FMC, then all Blind events and Feet.
1:50! That’s great. Very nice.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Just got Dayan Tenyung M.
Quite smooth out of the box, and very very quiet. This one will be my to-go cube especially when I fly :) (for sleeping fellow air passengers).

A little bit scratchy, but became much smoother after several drops of D&M. Tension is a little bit weak but I like as it is. There are two more different spring sets (different length) - so, 3 different tension settings (not advanced like moyu or gan but the basic physics are pretty much the same, anyway).

Magnets are donut shape, not disc. That makes the magnet strength a little bit weaker but effective to a wider range, the way I like. I prefer larger disc but weaker strength for that reason.

It may not be good for aggressive cubers but good for BLDers. Between GTS 3 (DIY) M vs. Tenyung M, my main will be still GTS 3 (DIY) M.

Greycube

WCA
2019BOWE05
Hi all. Just a quick intro 48 turning the big five ohhh next year. Set myself a challenge of getting to sub30 by at least my birthday next year.
Have been watching a few... a lot of youtube vids to get my head around things. I did find the hunting vids for f2l very useless as they helped me visual what was happening with the cube. Is there other vids like this out there?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have recently bought the Yixin Kylin v2m cube and so far am loving it. Wondering what is a good starting lube for this item is.

Welcome! Glad you found cubing and the speedsolving forum!

I don’t have that particular cube, but in general weight 5 or Traxxas 50k are highly recommended. Personally I’m a fan of Silk and occasionally DNM-37 for almost any cube. If those are too fast I do have a little weight 5 that I like to put on the core to smooth things out.
I’m not sure which videos you’re referring to in your first post, do you mind posting a link? There are a lot of good videos out there, and even more unhelpful ones.

Greycube

WCA
2019BOWE05
I checked the reviews of the lubes you suggested and silk does look the best buy. I will order a bottle and see how it goes. Thanks.
Ridos Hunting Story for F2l is the youtube vid I watched. I liked the way he explained what was happing with movement with the cube. At first I thought it was a joke video but I after a few watches it all made sense.

Oldmancfop

Hi all. Just a quick intro 48 turning the big five ohhh next year. Set myself a challenge of getting to sub30 by at least my birthday next year.
Have been watching a few... a lot of youtube vids to get my head around things. I did find the hunting vids for f2l very useless as they helped me visual what was happening with the cube. Is there other vids like this out there?
I had the same goal, turned 49 in March, just managed my first sub 30 this afternoon (and a 21 pb, it's been a better day with the cube), took me just over 6 months, 25 feels a long way away!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Just got Dayan Tenyung M.
Quite smooth out of the box, and very very quiet. This one will be my to-go cube especially when I fly :) (for sleeping fellow air passengers).

A little bit scratchy, but became much smoother after several drops of D&M. Tension is a little bit weak but I like as it is. There are two more different spring sets (different length) - so, 3 different tension settings (not advanced like moyu or gan but the basic physics are pretty much the same, anyway).

Magnets are donut shape, not disc. That makes the magnet strength a little bit weaker but effective to a wider range, the way I like. I prefer larger disc but weaker strength for that reason.

It may not be good for aggressive cubers but good for BLDers. Between GTS 3 (DIY) M vs. Tenyung M, my main will be still GTS 3 (DIY) M.

Excellent review, I hadn't thought of the ring vs disc magnets and I think you're dead-on there.

The OOTB scratchy/sandy feel went away for me in ~50-100 solves even without lubing, so fear not after first turns: it quickly becomes a smooth feeling puzzle.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Excellent review, I hadn't thought of the ring vs disc magnets and I think you're dead-on there.

The OOTB scratchy/sandy feel went away for me in ~50-100 solves even without lubing, so fear not after first turns: it quickly becomes a smooth feeling puzzle.

Yes, agreed. After 1,000 solves, the scratch feeling is almost gone.

I was curious whether I can swap the core with GTS3. Both of them have very similar core shape (like crown shape core bottom). But the crown of Tenyung is located in the middle while GTS3 crown is located in the bottom of the plastic. In other words, Tenyung's center core is much deeper than GTS 3's. Once assemble everything, other pieces (edge and corner) are kinda squeezing in - the core/center parts are ending up with standing out / making non-even surface. Need to come up with a different idea. Gan 356 X core will be good, too but it is too pricey just to swap with cores :-(

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I just got possibly the most frustrating PB single ever. 4th scramble of the Weekly Comp.

Green cross, yellow front: D R’ F D’

Easy F2L, wasted probably 2 seconds looking for the last F2L pair (already solved) and another 3 looking for the OLL (skip). Sloppy J-perm, and finished in 15.26, about 2.5 seconds better than my previous best, IIRC.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I just got possibly the most frustrating PB single ever. 4th scramble of the Weekly Comp.

Green cross, yellow front: D R’ F D’

Easy F2L, wasted probably 2 seconds looking for the last F2L pair (already solved) and another 3 looking for the OLL (skip). Sloppy J-perm, and finished in 15.26, about 2.5 seconds better than my previous best, IIRC.

I feel your pain. My current PB was a full-step so you know there have been some "shoulda-coulda" solves that I managed to foul up somewhere along the way.

Still, you were overdue for that one and a victory is a victory!

Sergey

D2 F' L2 F R2 F D2 L2 U2 B' R2 U' L U L D2 R' F' U L2

x2 y' // inspection
D2 L U' R' F // cross
U2 R U R' y' U L' U L // 1st pair
U2 R U' R' U R U R' // 2nd pair
y U' R U2 R' y U2 R U R' // 3rd pair
y' U2 R U' R' U' R U' R' U R U' R' // 4th pair
U' R U R' U' R' F R F' U' // OLL, PLL skip, AUF

alg.cubing.net

Not efficient at all, but tps was fine. GAN 356 X.

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
It's another really busy period with work and I'm rarely doing timed sessions, however... that's usually the real tell-tale on whether I switch back to the GTS2M or not: break out the stackmat and sit down to do 50+ solves.

I'll go ahead and make it official at this point: the stickerless TengYun has indeed usurped the GTS2M as my main. I accidentally picked up the GTS2M by mistake last night (with headphones on or I'd have noticed the different pitch) and was immediately annoyed that something had gone wrong with my puzzle. It felt all snappy and was fighting with with me the whole way, I've become very accustomed to the light magnet strength and lighter turn style of the TengYun. After I realized what happened I decided to pull out the GTS3M for comparison and it feels almost comically snappy to me with the strong magnets. The beauty of this hobby: falling in love with new hardware and immediately obsoleting every other puzzle in your collection. I feel for all you 356X folks, that's an expensive fix!

Still in the midst of a super-busy work period with only a few dozen solves a day to keep from getting completely rusty. The usual stuff: lots of sup 25s when I timed yesterday, some OLL amnesia (I seem to be perpetually about a half dozen or so shy of 100%), lookahead regression, lost the gains I'd started to see practicing deeper unlimited inspection, and a couple full step 17s that could have been even faster for some relief that I haven't lost much as far as potential when things go well.

Last edited: