• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If the competitor is not touching the puzzle, they may remove the blindfold before they stop the timer. They must not touch the puzzle until the end of the attempt. Penalty for touching the puzzle: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#B5c

[Edit: my lone official attempt was with a Stackmat and it was easy to find with the blindfold on, keeping in mind I'm very familiar since I use a Stackmat at home]

I was doing F2 R', now D2 R
Damn. I was hoping you were going to give me something better. This discussion has left G as my worst setup. It's not very nice for comms either.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I believe you can look but don't touch. The timer is easy to find though.
Best strategy - stop the timer before removing the blindfold (but do be careful not to reset it!), then remove the blindfold and then double-check to make sure the timer is stopped. And then be very careful not to touch the cube, no matter how tempted you are!

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Just checked my notes and the bad setups for J and W are on Noah's tutorial vids

For W op setup, grip is important. grip to UR & DR, right thumb on UR, (normal grip is FR & BR), after R’2 F (not R2 F, if you know what I mean), you can start Y perm without regrip.

Reactions: h2f

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Damn. I was hoping you were going to give me something better. This discussion has left G as my worst setup. It's not very nice for comms either.
Must be your comms - I find G one of the better stickers :).

I use D2 R setup, although I think it's slightly faster to setup lefty D2 flick to this O alg which flows a bit like Jb perm and starts with thumb on bottom: F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R'

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
So close... 16.90 3x3 single, two hundredths off my long standing outlier. Mounted fish + Ga Perm, thankfully no mis-execution on Ga this time. I'm ridiculously overdue for a new outlier.

Sub 18s are still rare enough that I've tracked all 8 of 'em. Four of them were this month.

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So close... 16.90 3x3 single, two hundredths off my long standing outlier. Mounted fish + Ga Perm, thankfully no mis-execution on Ga this time. I'm ridiculously overdue for a new outlier.

Sub 18s are still rare enough that I've tracked all 8 of 'em. Four of them were this month.
You’re obviously capable of these times more regularly. I know it might sound redundant but this advice is sound: work on that slow turning. Even if you keep effing stuff up, your lookahead is the most important thing to get faster. Also, the more mistakes you make, the more you will learn. My advice is don’t turn off the timer just try not to care about it.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
I don't see why it would be easier to track pieces with UF.

I use U.
I don't see why it would be easier to track pieces with UF.

I use UBL for corners.

Yes that is a good point. I was thinking of corners when I commented above. For edges I do X rotations a lot.
I meant tracking for sighted rehearsing. I have to check D face for DF buffer , I guess it would be easier to check U face?

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Thanks for the earlier answer... I thought I had read that in the regs too.
My mind is mush right now... I managed to get a LOT of time with my puzzles today. Had a good BLD session to start and then did as much as my head could handle of the weekly comp.... 222,333,444,555,234,2345,2BLD, 3BLD, mega, pyra, Skewb... then a 3x3 session. I was crushing last week and now just a couple days out from my Charleston comp, I’m definitely slower. Oh well... probably just fatigue from the day.

I did get an awesome 4x4 PB single of 1:08.90!!! That’s a HUGE improvement and even had an OLL parity. This weekend, I’d take 1:25 or better and would be thrilled with a sub-1:20 for 4x4. As thrilled as I am about that PB single, I’m really not too concerned with anything other than 3BLD and 3x3 (in that order) for this weekend. I’ve put more time into my 3x3 practice than I have before. I’ll be a little disappointed if I don’t have a good Average or single in there somewhere. That said, 3BLD is my priority for this weekend.

I'm ever so slightly interested to consider upping my BLD game after this weekend too. I’ll have to look into M2 for edges and play with that some. But I’m also intrigued by 4BLD o_O

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I’m also intrigued by 4BLD o_O

Now that I've advanced to the point that I still can't do 3BLD I'm getting curious about 4BLD too. I looked up some instructions for U2 last night, now I just need to figure out how to do the last few r-slice targets that aren't intuitive from M2, and I'll be set to fail at another event!

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Now that I've advanced to the point that I still can't do 3BLD I'm getting curious about 4BLD too. I looked up some instructions for U2 last night, now I just need to figure out how to do the last few r-slice targets that aren't intuitive from M2, and I'll be set to fail at another event!
I don’t mind “failing” per se... I just enjoy learning new stuff and BLD is a wide open field of new stuff to learn.

Does anyone get to where they can do 3BLD 100% of the time? It just seems like there are too many variables to guarantee success. Not the least of which is pushing memo and execution times. I’m comfortably at 7-8 minutes. I’m not likely to push that until a get a solid competition success. (Which I’m hoping for this weekend)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I don’t mind “failing” per se... I just enjoy learning new stuff and BLD is a wide open field of new stuff to learn.
Same here. Sorry if my post came across wrong, I'm just a little excited about working on big blind, and I feel like by rights I should have a better success rate than (roughly, iirc among timed solves) 2/60 before I start moving on. I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but that knowledge isn't going to stop me from keeping on jumping it.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Does anyone get to where they can do 3BLD 100% of the time? It just seems like there are too many variables to guarantee success.

Top BLDers say that "if you have extremely high success rate, it means that you're not pushing enough - in terms of your memo". I guess people will try to get faster by cutting down your memo when you reach to the point you most likely success. If your success rate is 70~80%, then, you may want to push your memo.

Big BLDs are quite fun - new challenges. Have fun!

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Same here. Sorry if my post came across wrong, I'm just a little excited about working on big blind, and I feel like by rights I should have a better success rate than (roughly, iirc among timed solves) 2/60 before I start moving on. I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but that knowledge isn't going to stop me from keeping on jumping it.

Well... depends, I suppose, how you think about things. I can see that building on top of a skill before “mastering” the skill is a set up for frustration and failure. On the other hand, these are puzzles and fun/entertainment. So if you’re interested, follow that interest! I suspect you will see gains in 3BLD by learning bigger blinds. But what do I know? I only started myself!! Hahahaha.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I meant tracking for sighted rehearsing. I have to check D face for DF buffer , I guess it would be easier to check U face?
Yeah I've heard that before but I don't get it. I still have to look at all 12 pieces, right? If I don't check DF at the start, I have to check it later. Plus, I've already looked at the four bottom corners so usually peek at DF and know what it is before even starting edge memo. If there's any tracing advantage in starting at UF, it's minimal IMHO, and there are better ways to optimise memo.

Some people say UF gives better edge comms, and that's the main reason to think it could be better. However, that's debatable, and subjective.

Does anyone get to where they can do 3BLD 100% of the time?
As @openseas said, if your accuracy is 100% then you're not pushing speed hard enough. Personally, for timed sessions I aim for 50-70% accuracy. If over 70% then I'm either having a lucky day or being too cautious. If under 50% then I'm doing something wrong. I try not to assume my mistake is going too fast. Instead I figure out what weakness is causing me to fail while going this fast and work on fixing that weakness.

Sometimes I set a countdown timer to beep after a few seconds and use that to limit my memo time and force myself to rush. When training this way, I'm aiming for less than 50% :). As soon as I hit 50% accuracy it's too easy and I knock a second off the timer.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some people say UF gives better edge comms, and that's the main reason to think it could be better. However, that's debatable, and subjective.

Agree, however I think sometimes that top blinders see something that I'm not aware. Ishaan, Daniel and others have switched to UF and say it's bette buffer. And only one Polish top blinder uses DF.

As @openseas said, if your accuracy is 100% then you're not pushing speed hard enough. Personally, for timed sessions I aim for 50-70% accuracy. If over 70% then I'm either having a lucky day or being too cautious. If under 50% then I'm doing something wrong. I try not to assume my mistake is going too fast. Instead I figure out what weakness is causing me to fail while going this fast and work on fixing that weakness.

Agree again. I've manged, due to Maskow's advice, to increase my acc to around 60%. I can do sometimes make around 80% but only if I slow down. If there's below 50% means I need to work with my comms because I'm too tired and they stopped being automatic. If I push memo my acc goes down to 30%. I think there must be a balance between pushing and accuracy.

Last edited:

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
Agree, however I think sometimes that top blinders see something that I'm not aware. Ishaan, Daniel and others have switched to UF and say it's bette buffer. And only one Polish top blinder uses DF.
I don't use optimized comms yet, my level is not there yet. Still learning them. What I've noticed is, that comms for edges/wings are quite fingertrick difficult, I much prefer Mark's advanced M2 approach as the solution is nicer, but few more moves sometimes. I say advanced M2 (or r2 for Bigcube) is 3-cycle with long conjugates.
Never tried how it would be with UF buffer, maybe it is more fingertrick frendly.