• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a chance over lunch to check the video, and it's an interesting example of how post-DNF analysis can be helpful. The three edges-failed cubes were all off because I swapped two adjacent pairs. Clearly I do not always have strong enough ways of making clear the order of images in my scene. I've made this mistake many times before, and at Weston it cost me 6 points. So I need to work on this.

The other four errors were a mixed bag.
Do you have any rules that you follow for the order of pairs?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes I have a few conventions I follow if they fit, but clearly there are too many cases where they don't, or aren't reliable enough.
Me too but sometimes I have to just remember through brute force which wouldn't be good if short of time. I also might move a pair from the end of one image to the start of the next or come up with a better word but again, that takes time.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Me too but sometimes I have to just remember through brute force which wouldn't be good if short of time. I also might move a pair from the end of one image to the start of the next or come up with a better word but again, that takes time.
Yeah it all comes down to time. It would be way easier to get these things right with a couple of extra reviews.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What was the scramble?
B2 R2 B2 U2 L' B2 D2 L' R B' U' R' B2 L2 R' D F2 R2 B' R Fw'

My orientation is z2 (yellow/green).

Memo (DF/UBL/Speffz):-
Edges PALS MNEO HGF
Corners PD GJ OB Q

It was actually 5'/11 but I solved the twist with an extra comm so 7/11 for me.

z2
[x': [U' R2 U, M2]]
[M': [U' L' U, M']]
[U M' U', R']
[U': [M', U' R2 U]]
[L: [U' M' U, L]]
[x' U L2 U': M2]
[D' L2 D: M2]

[L D' L', U']
[R U: [R' D R, U]]
[R D R', U]
[R': Y-perm]

Last edited:
Reactions: h2f

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
guys... I’m super excited right now. I just sat down for the weekly forum comp to do 3x3 and maybe a couple other events just to wind down some and take a break from all my work and other “life” stuff. My first solve was 16.67. I was stunned. I don’t see 16.xx very often. I was ready to just call it a success to get a good time in the forum comp. Then I did 16.16 for the next! Then 18.95 for the third! Now... My PB ao5 is 19.4 as I sit here and look at these three times.
Fourth—21.56. Yep. That’s more like it.
Final solve—19.65... that means all sub-20s counting and a new PB ao5 of 18.42!

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I know that some of you guys work closely with WCA, I’m wondering if there is any way that you know of that I can do more to influence or reverse the decision to remove feet. I’m sure that in the final tally I was counted as someone who is not interested in feet solving, but the fact of the matter is that I just didn’t have the opportunity this year. I wanted to focus on big cubes in the comp that I organized, and the comp that I would have competed in feet is the one that my brakes went out on the way there. I am planning a comp for early February that will have feet, likely 2 rounds if enough people sign up. I really think that feet adds a lot to WCA, more than OH, in fact. This is a very upsetting announcement. I knew that feet was under review, but I was sure that at the pace that records have been broken and the level of competition has increased following the switch to Ao5 format that feet was safe.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I know that some of you guys work closely with WCA, I’m wondering if there is any way that you know of that I can do more to influence or reverse the decision to remove feet. I’m sure that in the final tally I was counted as someone who is not interested in feet solving, but the fact of the matter is that I just didn’t have the opportunity this year. I wanted to focus on big cubes in the comp that I organized, and the comp that I would have competed in feet is the one that my brakes went out on the way there. I am planning a comp for early February that will have feet, likely 2 rounds if enough people sign up. I really think that feet adds a lot to WCA, more than OH, in fact. This is a very upsetting announcement. I knew that feet was under review, but I was sure that at the pace that records have been broken and the level of competition has increased following the switch to Ao5 format that feet was safe.
Where was this announcement? When was it decided feet will go away from WCA comps and when will this decision take effect?

I didn’t see anything in the WCA announcements page about this....

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
https://github.com/thewca/wca-regulations/issues/652

I saw it posted on Reddit. Effective 1/1/2020
Interesting... I can see wanting to remove events that are low participation, on the other hand it’s nice to have variety. I personally don’t do feet, nor do I have interest, but I DO enjoy seeing it as an event.
For me this begs a greater question: what is the purpose for WCA comps? Is it only to support “popular” events and if not, how do you balance niche events against the larger Cubing experience.

Locally, I have struggled with cutoff times and soft cutoffs due to them being quite fast for anything other than 333. This is largely due to my area has a LOT of cubers and many are world class. Most comps, a person needs 13s to make the second round of 333 and often the larger cube cutoffs are only slightly more generous than the US Nationals qualifying time.

So, back to the discussion of feet... I’d be interested to hear what motivates it’s removal from a practical matter. Clearly there are additional logistics associated with doin feet, but I am interested to hear from a delegate or coordinator’s perspective.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Is the expectation that for an event to sustain in WCA that a significant portion of competitors participate in it?

Clearly there is a need to evaluate if an event doesn’t generate interest in the form of competition. How many other events could be removed using this logic? What about 5BLD? I hardly ever see a comp featuring 5BLD. The one I did see, only had 3 competitors.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting other events be removed. Rather, I’m hoping to get an full explanation of why one would be removed if that decision is made.

Interesting, none the less.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Is the expectation that for an event to sustain in WCA that a significant portion of competitors participate in it?

Clearly there is a need to evaluate if an event doesn’t generate interest in the form of competition. How many other events could be removed using this logic? What about 5BLD? I hardly ever see a comp featuring 5BLD. The one I did see, only had 3 competitors.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting other events be removed. Rather, I’m hoping to get an full explanation of why one would be removed if that decision is made.

Interesting, none the less.

It's not entirely based on popularity.

Main reasons (not mine, I'm not against) are bad publicity, sanity(x) sanitary (O :)), inconvenience in terms of organization (need a separate area or change the competition station for feet) + low attendance.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Sanity is my main reason for not competing
Honestly it’s not that unsanitary. Usually different timers are used, and even if they aren’t a quick wipe with an alcohol swab is more than enough. If somebody has really stinky feet, send them to the restroom to wash them off in the sink. Think about all the different filthy surfaces you touch with your hands in a day, and consider that the vast majority of the time you are not in bed or in the shower your feet are in socks, which are presumably regularly changed and washed.