• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Next Saturday I have 3bld. Guess how many solves I did in last 2 weeks. You can be mistaken by 10 solves. ;)
I guess you're asking either because you did loads or did none :). Let me give you the benefit of the doubt: 30 per day with 2 rest days = 360...? :)

What was the scramble?
Not posted on WCADB.net yet. I'll post it when available. I think it was 11/7 but can't remember the memo at all. Here's the video. I nearly dropped the cube at 0:34 :)

Last edited:

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One edge with corner are solved so 11/7 is possible. I like fluidity of your solves. Awsome judging. ;)

You are in an error margin - 22.

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
WSM was another fun comp and generally better results for me than earlier this year. I met a couple of new oldies which is always nice and more people wanting to be on our unofficial rankings.

It was great to see Feliks in action again in the flesh and I have a ton of video footage to edit and upload from the various finals. I've edited the head-to-heads but the upload will be going through most of the night. I think it will be one of the best videos I've uploaded as I tried a few more things out during the editing.

preview_small.png

Practice priority before the comp was 4x4 (daily), Pyra (daily), 2x2 (daily), OH (every few days), 3x3 (every few days), 5x5 (practically nothing).

Performance summary...

My best result by far was a 4x4 average of 1:05.07, 6 seconds faster than my PB average at UKC in October and 11 seconds faster than the prior PB from 2016. I'm comfortably a couple of seconds faster at home but it was a solid result considering I started the average with a DNF. It was a big improvement over my past performances despite the solves being far from perfect but it's what I wanted most from this comp. I'll keep practising as I'm enjoying the event at the moment.

My Pyraminx solves were better than at UKC as I was able to inspect calmly, giving me two comfortable 5's and a 6. I made a silly recognition error during L4E on my fourth solve which turned another comfortable 5 second solve into a counting 8. That added a second to my average (6.67) so it was a minor PB but still not the sub-6 that I've been after this year. I was happy with how I was inspecting and solving so I'm not too upset by the result. I've also got another oldie into Pyra - Aaron.

My first round of 3x3 was hideous as I had no ability to inspect but the second round was a lot better. Unfortunately, I messed up the third solve which was by far the best cross + F2L but when I encountered an F-Perm I confused myself by setting up for a one-handed alg and had to undo my mistake, leading to a counting 18. One of the counting 17's also had swapped cross pieces which wasted a couple of seconds. Again, I'm content with how I was solving in the second round but it just didn't come together for a good average - 17.29.

My warm up for OH was promising and I even knocked out a new PB single of 14.77 (PLL skip) but the same didn't happen at the comp table. In retrospect, I was having trouble with the table height which I'd probably have compensated for had I done some practice OH solves at a solving station. I also had a counting 30 as a result of a +2 on my last solve so the average ended up at 28.50. Slightly disappointing but my bad results seem to be getting better!?!

I couldn't do 2x2 to save my life at the beginning of the comp as my fingers were not co-operating that morning. I'll try again next year but I won't be practising in the months in between. 5x5 was just entered for fun as I've only done a handful of solves this year but it showed at the table. I think it was kind of useful doing some official solves just before the second round of 3x3 though.

Hopefully I'll get to compete again next month - OH, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5. It'll be my last chance until mid to late-2019.

Edit: Congrats to Mark Adams for the best PB by the oldies - 7/7 MBLD.

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
One edge with corner are solved so 11/7 is possible. I like fluidity of your solves. Awsome judging. ;)
Thanks. Yes I can also see I solved parity, which is how I guess 7/11. I don't recall feeling it was easy or lucky, but I really can't remember anything else. I listened to the "don't go safe in 3BLD" advice and ruahed memo with no review, so it's no surprise I forgot the memo quickly :)

Brief summary of the Weston comp: I attended just Saturday evening and about 2-3 hours on Sunday, as I had some family commitments too. So I competed in only MBLD, 3BLD and 5x5. Aside from the 50.14, my other 3BLD results were unremarkable. I had a bad night's sleep and was unprepared, so I didn't expect to do well. The PB was the last solve and I was quite relaxed, having got one success in the second and been already satisfied just to not go home with all DNFs. I think that helped, and my focus, composure and thinkahead were all better than usual.

All my (limited) practice leading up to the comp was MBLD and I even adapted my diet and sleep pattern to try to prepare. So I was disappointed not to do better than 13/20. My time management was good and memo was quite strong. Three cubes were off by corners only and three by edges only. I suspect these were incorrect recall, or incorrect choice of comm - either way, mistakes of the mind not the fingers, which was a factor in my disappointment because that should have been better. The seventh was clearly a wrong turn somewhere. Anyway, I plan to keep plugging away at 20 cubes. That was my 6th official attempt at 20.

Finally, 5x5. I rarely practise sighted solving but like to maintain my standard when I do compete. For 3x3 that's sub 20, 4x4 sub 1:10, and 5x5 sub 2:20. Those are my thresholds for disappointment. Here I messed up PLL on two solves and had to restart from the last two slots, but still came out with a 2:19 average. Phew :)

All in all it was a great comp: great venue and organisation (thanks to Andy and Chris), great entertainment in the head to head event (looking forward to your video, Mike), and we had a good turn out of oldies and the traditional oldies' curry night. Nice to catch up with @Shaky Hands, @Selkie, @Logiqx, @newtonbase, @speedpicker and all the rest of the UK crew, and congrats to everyone on their PBs - especially that awesome 7/7, Mark :D.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Was it Robert Yau in the background? Also very fun to see as you judging Felix (he thanked you for the footage. I noticed that Felix is very kindness guy) ;)

At which point do you think Rob is in the background? It is more than possible...

It is funny how that worked out. I had been filming other people and I was unaware that Feliks was up when they asked for more judges.

I went up to help and ended up with Feliks for his third solve so I started filming and judging him on the front table.

Funny to think that I started out with the sole intention of recording Feliks doing Megaminx and ended up on his channel as the judge.

Sergey

At which point do you think Rob is in the background? It is more than possible...
F.e.
and

Also noticed that semi-finals had unequal attempts (4 vs 5). Maybe Mats decided to surrender....

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Three cubes were off by corners only and three by edges only. I suspect these were incorrect recall, or incorrect choice of comm - either way, mistakes of the mind not the fingers, which was a factor in my disappointment because that should have been better. The seventh was clearly a wrong turn somewhere.
I had a chance over lunch to check the video, and it's an interesting example of how post-DNF analysis can be helpful. The three edges-failed cubes were all off because I swapped two adjacent pairs. Clearly I do not always have strong enough ways of making clear the order of images in my scene. I've made this mistake many times before, and at Weston it cost me 6 points. So I need to work on this.

The other four errors were a mixed bag.