• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

pppatty

Thank you @pppatty .
This would be a good feature. e.g. One could choose 8 different algs to drill today. And the app would randomly display 1/8 each scramble. Better yet, use some SRS (spaced repetition system) with the robot.

Thanks for your suggestion. What you mean is that the robot can only select one algs each scramble to practice, right?

SnowyDay

To clarify, today I want to practice only 8 specific algs (which I pick in the morning). So I would like to tell the robot to just keep testing only those 8 algs today, and randomly scramble just those 8 algs today.

povlhp

For those with battery trouble, please notice that silocne - the main ingredient in silicone oil is an insulator. Silicone is used a cable insulation when the load is high and plastic would melt. Used often for drones and other devices with very high load.
So make sure there is NO silicone oil on replacement battery or in battery compartment.

Joann Huang

To clarify, today I want to practice only 8 specific algs (which I pick in the morning). So I would like to tell the robot to just keep testing only those 8 algs today, and randomly scramble just those 8 algs today.
Hi @SnowyDay
Do you mean you want us to have a function that could select many specific algs and use the robot to scramble it? Scramble could be Randomly or follow the specific rules.
Looking forward to your reply!

SnowyDay

That is what I envision Algorithm practising to be. Cuber can select certain algs to drill for the day.

Only the robot could do this and I think it would be a great way to accelerate learning for intermediates.

Well, I could buy say 16 cubes, self scramble them in the morning, solve them. Scramble all 16 again at lunch. . .

TPERM lover

so when I hold my cube green front, white top, and when I do an R move it does an L move and everything on the screen is the same green is front and white is top, it just does an L move for some reason. Can anyone help me with this problem?

pppatty

so when I hold my cube green front, white top, and when I do an R move it does an L move and everything on the screen is the same green is front and white is top, it just does an L move for some reason. Can anyone help me with this problem?

hi, please provide us the video you move it and your ID. We will check it.

povlhp

Got my ICarry today. It takes forever to download the 50MB updates. They should use servers in EU/US.
It works well. But missing support for briefcubing.com. OR algo training should support picking algos to practice. But I like briefcubing. and Cubeast.

Turning it feels a bit dry. Need lube. But generally turns way better than the giiker.

stanleydesu

Have had my iCarry for a week or 2. (Purchased from speedcube.com.au).
Before using it for the first time, took the cube apart and wiped the factory lube off the pieces (cube was originally drenched in lube).
Both the original battery and the battery pull tab had some oil/lube on them.
After the first 30 minutes of use, stopped working (white light doesn't flash).
After replacing the battery, it stops working every hour or so, and I have to take it apart and move/reinsert the battery... quite the hassle.
I tried wiping off any lube or oil in the battery compartment, and ensuring the battery was dry, yet the issue persists.

SnowyDay

Have had my iCarry for a week or 2. After the first 30 minutes of use, stopped working (white light doesn't flash).
After replacing the battery, it stops working every hour or so, and I have to take it apart and move/reinsert the battery... quite the hassle.
I tried wiping off any lube or oil in the battery compartment, and ensuring the battery was dry, yet the issue persists.
I suppose you could try warranty exchange via the retailer or Gan.

Without seeing the cube, my first guesses for research repair would be:

1. Software glitch
--> Does Gan have firmware updates you can send to the cube?

2. Hardware
--> Maybe bad battery contact or defective battery

** Is the plastic flexible battery removal tab not fitting right so interfering with good battery contact, particularly when cube is dropped on mat or shaken roughly? Check that seems to fit OK and both sides of battery make good contact inside the cube (if possible to see).

** The battery and contacts are dirty? You may be able to gently clean the contacts with iso alcohol (99%+ is best) and let dry. I'm not sure best way to get in there without damaging or stretching or breaking the springy contacts, maybe a piece of cardboard. I don't know if the cube can be disassembled for easier access to the battery compartment. You can clean the battery but you need to be very careful not to short the + and - side.

** There is not enough spring tension in the battery compartment so battery comes loose briefly, glitching the cube? I suppose you could see if there is a way to gently stretch the battery contact but it does not look easy (see video below).

** The lithium battery is defective or provides insufficient voltage? Buy a high quality branded battery (e.g. Panasonic. Toshiba, Energizer). From a reliable electronics retailer such as Digikey, Farnell, Lowes, etc (NOT Amazon or eBay where you risk fake or defective components). The cubicle shows the battery size is CR1632 but that is stamped on the battery (that would mean 16mm diameter, 3.2mm height, 3 volts, 130 mAh capacity)

povlhp

Alcohol and iso-propanol are not conducting electricity. I have no issues cleaning coin cells with paper towel with alcohol.

povlhp

One quick tip. If you want to replace the colored travel adjustment caps, no reason to press them down and turning them.
press down and do one U turn to release. Much easier. U’ to get the new one in.Wiggle U a bit to make sure it is in place.

povlhp

And if your fingers are too big, use another of the colored pieces upside down to press.

My setup is now strongest springs. Green caps. And some lube. Mine was fairly dry out of box. Only lightly lubed if at all. Not overlubed as some have experienced, and which might cause battery issues. Guess they fixed in production. But I like a lubed feel. I use 4000cSt aka weight 0.4 - 6-7 drops I think. More than usual. my next step up is 50k/ weight 5.

pppatty

Have had my iCarry for a week or 2. (Purchased from speedcube.com.au).
Before using it for the first time, took the cube apart and wiped the factory lube off the pieces (cube was originally drenched in lube).
Both the original battery and the battery pull tab had some oil/lube on them.
After the first 30 minutes of use, stopped working (white light doesn't flash).

hello, please change a new battery and try again. If the problem still not solve, please contact the official shop where you buy from.

freshcuber.de

WCA
2016FRIS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you use an bluetooth dongle, put it in one of the front USB slots, because the Gan might not "see" it if it's in the back. Cube and bluetooth dongle have to be quite near. I don't know why.
And it has to be bluetooth 4 or 5. Did you check correct bluetooth settings?

povlhp

i want to pair my gan i v2 to cstimer to my tower pc but it won't detect my cube is there a way i can fix this
Not sure what cubes works with cstimer, you could download the software and hack it.
The other solution is to use Cubeast.com - It works with all(?) smart cubes, tried Giiker and iCarry. Gives extra stats like moves/time per step and pauses between steps.