• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

Mia

This happened to me a few years ago. In my school, there are grades 3-12, so the youngest pupils are 9-year-olds. (I'm in high school so keep in mind that in their eyes I'm an adult.) I was casually solving my cube when a group of five or so little third grades come around me in a horseshoe shape and they all stare at me. One of them is brave enough to talk to me:

Little boy: Can you actually solve this?
Me: Yes.
Little boy: Can I see when you solve that?
Me: Yeah, take my cube and scramble it.

I give the boy my cube and he scrambles it pretty well. I then start to solve it and after I'm finished, they all start clapping to me and ask me how long does it usually take me to solve the cube. I answer "about 20 seconds" and when they're leaving, one of them shouts that his sister can solve it in under 10 seconds.

Another story starts in a similar way but instead of boys giving me an applause, after my solve a 9-year-old girl shouts to her friends "Oh my god, she can actually solve it, she can actually solve it".

Last edited:

TetCuber48

WCA
2018MART82
this kid (we'll call him BOI) at my school follows me and my friends at recess, and talks about cubing (but BOI isn't a cuber). BOI brings up that "some people use olive oil to speed up the cube" but luckily he knew it ruined the plastic. I told him they made special lube for it and BOI could not remember the word lube. So later he called it "speed oil" and i tried not to laugh. Then i pulled my friend aside and said "BOI just called it speed oil." We laughed way too hard for like 2 minutes.

CurseFlame

this kid (we'll call him BOI) at my school follows me and my friends at recess, and talks about cubing (but BOI isn't a cuber). BOI brings up that "some people use olive oil to speed up the cube" but luckily he knew it ruined the plastic. I told him they made special lube for it and BOI could not remember the word lube. So later he called it "speed oil" and i tried not to laugh. Then i pulled my friend aside and said "BOI just called it speed oil." We laughed way too hard for like 2 minutes.
lel

Piyush1905

Once a noncuber said to me that he could solve a Rubik's cube. Then i gave him a scrambled cube. He started to do R and U moves and said "After i do this several times, the cube will be solved"

Etotheipi

This happened like a month ago. I had switched from CFOP to Roux like a week ago, so obviously my average rose because I had less practice, and my mom's lsays ooks like the new method isn't going to well. And im like wow mom, i started a week ago.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 stories:
1. I was in church and I was talking about my recent OH PB (35.33 seconds- I did FMC on it later and got 35 moves, which is my PB and good considering in the FMC I used full CFOP) My pastor was like One Handed? In 35 freaking seconds!
2. I was at home and telling my dad about my recent PB on the GAN X (got the PB 3 days ago, got the cube 5 days ago, told my dad about the PB
3 days ago, 3rd PB on the GAN X btw) Anyway, I said it was 14.18 seconds and that it was my first sub-15 solve ever, and he was like 14 Seconds! That's frickin' fast!

I guess non-cubers use the word "freaking" a lot to describe that... type... of thing.
Bye! :)