• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

Hey everyone.
I was wondering why you all think cubing in front of people who don't know how to cube. They are always so amazed and I can't even solve it that fast(sub 1 minute:(-beginners method) and I am like What? What did i do different? :confused: :?

On to the funny non cuber stories...
I had just bought a gan air. I was at my old primary school picking up my siblings and solved my new cube. A kid about 7 years old grabbed my cube and tried to do it...
He couldn't and so....
He chucked my cube halfway across the hard playground floor.:eek::mad::eek::mad:

Talk about throwing money down the drain :(

What are your funny (or painful) non cuber encounters?

YouTube
channel/UCPGidmc
One time I was at the grocery store and one of the employees asked what I had been doing over vacation and I told her that I went to a Cubing competition (which she had no idea what that was) so I explained what solving the Rubiks Cube is and how it takes practice. In return she said "oh, so thats where you've been.......turning squares."

Isn't that hilarious? Lol!!! :p

I've gotten "Still trying to solve it?" When I'm learning a new method and I've already solved it several times since they first noticed me solving it, and the classic "You're cheating" when I am learning a new method and referencing algs.

Non-cuber 1: hey can i see that?
Me: Ok
Non-cuber 1: watch i can solve this *scrambles with one move * Oh i solved it
Non-cuber 2: hey can i see that?
Non-cuber 1: Ok
Non-cuber 2: watch i can solve this *scrambles with one move * Oh i solved it

40yearstosolve

Premium Member
“I solved it once, years ago when I was young”.

I always greet this with suspicion. They are talking of over 40 years ago and now that I know just how hard it is to solve I am extremely skeptical that they solved it all that time ago.

It is entirely possible of course, but I believe they are remembering with nostalgia ‍♂️

One of these people is my Dad, the other is my sister-in-law

I just smile and nod.

They then attempt to solve it remember their ‘technique’. It last less than a minute

I spend a lot of my time sat in cafes solving, I get a buzz out of people watching me solve it. No-one has approach me yet though.

I had always used my Rubik's when I started and when I got my GAN Air the kids at school asked me: That one has circles in the middle. Is it harder than the other one?
Hahaha.
Ohhh that gives me PTSD of me explaining every way a Valk is better than a Rubik's brand before the inevitable "Yeah but how is there like... A difference?"

WCA
2016FOWL01
"Whoa, that guy just solved it in 3 seconds!"
"Ha, NERD."
"Do you do anything useful other than cubing?" (someone said that to me today. ;( It hurt my feelings AND THATS NOT ALL I DO)

Noncuber: "How do you do that?"
Me: "How do you do what?" (solves cube)
Non: "THAT"
Me: "Like the finger trick or the cube?"
Non: *tries to explain something that only geniuses of high intellect and knowledge can fully understand*

Non: "Got the 4x4?"
Me: Yep
Non: "Got the 5x5?"
Me: Yep
Non: "Got the tryengl roobrick?
Me: Speak English Please.

*Explaining algorithms to non cubers*

x 1 = 79*263 + 71 (mod 100) = 20848 (mod 100) = 48,
x 1 = 48*263 + 71 (mod 100) = 12695 (mod 100) = 95,

x 1 = 95*263 + 71 (mod 100) = 25056 (mod 100) = 56,

x 1 = 56*263 + 71 (mod 100) = 14799 (mod 100) = 99,