• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Gen 4 display and timer issues.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
So after having a ridiculous and annoying time this past weekend with SpeedStack displays, and some timers, I wanted to see if any one else has been having issues with New Gen 4 displays and timers malfunctioning and causing things such as frying timers, displays lagging behind on time, or the front display lights (that the audience sees) is not working correctly, if at all.

I have heard from several people (and even the delegate this past weekend) that the first batch Gen 4's work fine, as well as the Gen 3's (which I know work), but since we just spend several hundred dollars for new Gen 4 timers/displays to only have them not work correctly, I am curious if other people are having the same issue, and what you are doing to fix it. Thanks

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I don't have a display, but my gen 4 timer is working fine. I just got it at Christmas, so it's not a first batch.
That's the other thing I mean to mention. If everyone's timers are working just fine then it must be display related issues, and if that is the case ho to fix the displays.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I don’t have the display, but the timer is all good. Which leads me to a question, my timer doesn’t show a zero for times within a minute and a ten seconds after that. e.g.
1:07.36 is shown as 1: 7.36. Not a big issue, since I don’t go above a minute except for 4x4, and it just looks a bit weird.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Yeah, I don’t have the display, but the timer is all good. Which leads me to a question, my timer doesn’t show a zero for times within a minute and a ten seconds after that. e.g.
1:07.36 is shown as 1: 7.36. Not a big issue, since I don’t go above a minute except for 4x4, and it just looks a bit weird.

Yeah the timer was built that way.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I don't have a display, but my gen 4 timer is working fine. I just got it at Christmas, so it's not a first batch.
Did either of you replace the factory batteries that came with the timers? I am not completely certain, but I think some of the timer issues we were/are having have to do with the cheap batteries, but again not positive that is a issues at all.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
So far it seems like the timers are working according to everyone, which I know for me have been working well, but anyone (especially organizers and delegate) is anyone having trouble with displays?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
So I just heard back from the WMT who I have been in contact with regarding all the issues that we have been facing with the SpeedStacks timers and displays, and here is what SpeedStacks came back with although the wording is paraphrased and told from the WMT

"They believe it is a power source issue. If power is disrupted for any reason, the microchip has to reboot. If you are using batteries, they recommend replacing all batteries with new batteries at the start of every competition. They also recommend plugging the displays in for best performance. If the display reboots too many times, or does not get to complete its reboot numerous times (if power disruptions continue to occur), the display will never completely reboot and it may malfunction."

My issues with what SpeedStacks came back with is s follows.
1. If they know that there displays are not working 100% correctly, and that a lot of people are having issues then why do they feel like they can still charge a arm and a leg for the gear and provide no help with fixing it? I honestly find that most unhelpful and wrong.
2. What do they mean "replace batteries at each competition"? Why would someone want to spend $100+ on new batteries each time there is a competition? Is that really the only thing that SpeedStacks recommends for using batteries at competitions? I don't know about anyone else, but having spend $1000+ within the last year and a half to two years on SpeedStack equipment to now on top of that spend $100 or less on batteries each competition, I find that most annoying and not a good thing at all. SpeedStacks has to eventually provide a better fix or lower their costs for the displays since they are faulty.
3. With respect to there recommendation on "plugging in the displays for best performance" that again is not helpful at all, especially since not ever competition has the ability to plug it 8-20 displays, not least of which with that many cords laying around can cause a falling hazard for competitors and runners. Also, if something is meant to run on Battery power then you should not have to worry about plugging it in for "better performance" since it should already be working 100%.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or help with the display and timer issues. I know many competitions have been having issues with their equipment, so if you are one of those delegates or organizers I would really appreciate your input and thoughts on this? Having to deal with 15-20 E1's at each competition is very annoying, although if that is the only solution for now then I guess we have to deal with it, although any fix would be much appreciated.

Additionally, we are going to be trying some different battery brands out, so if something comes of that I will post that here.

For the timers I am still waiting to hear back from the WMT who are waiting to hear back from SpeedStacks, but for now I found this video for a possible fix, although not guaranteed.