• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus

whaffle

This should be interesting. What's the hardest part about switching methods for you? Currently switching to roux, it's... not going well.
The hardest part about Petrus for me is probably EO recognition, as it's the part I have the least amount of experience in. I assume that the LSE is probably the hardest part of Roux for you at the moment, and honestly, unless you're doing something wrong, it just comes with practice. When I was switching to Roux from CFOP, I found LSE hard too, but after a while, I just got used to it.

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The hardest part about Petrus for me is probably EO recognition, as it's the part I have the least amount of experience in. I assume that the LSE is probably the hardest part of Roux for you at the moment, and honestly, unless you're doing something wrong, it just comes with practice. When I was switching to Roux from CFOP, I found LSE hard too, but after a while, I just got used to it.
Oddly, LSE is pretty easy for me, blocks are the hard part, since I try not to resort to simple CFOP. Once I hit sub 20 with roux I'll learn CMLL.

whaffle

Oddly, LSE is pretty easy for me, blocks are the hard part, since I try not to resort to simple CFOP. Once I hit sub 20 with roux I'll learn CMLL.
For FB, I do F2L pairs about half the time, and line-based square+pair the remaining half. This gets me to an average movecount of about 8. Watch teodius's video on effecient FB, it helped me a lot. For SB, I do DR then F2L pairs nearly all yhe time. Many notable rouxers, such as Sean or Kian, do so too. The only difference I see between a roux-style SB and a cfop-style SB is that in the roux-style SB, you use m-slice edge pairing, which I think J Perm explains pretty well.

Also, does anyone know if @Kirjava is still using Speedsolving Forums, or where I could find him if he isn't? There's some questions I would like to ask him.

Last edited:

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For FB, I do F2L pairs about half the time, and line-based square+pair the remaining half. This gets me to an average movecount of about 8. Watch teodius's video on effecient FB, it helped me a lot. For SB, I do DR then F2L pairs nearly all yhe time. Many notable rouxers, such as Sean or Kian, do so too. The only difference I see between a roux-style SB and a cfop-style SB is that in the roux-style SB, you use m-slice edge pairing, which I think J Perm explains pretty well.

Also, does anyone know if @Kirjava is still using Speedsolving Forums, or where I could find him if he isn't? There's some questions I would like to ask him.
Hmm, that's helpful, thanks.

Kirjava became less active about when I did, but it looks like he's still competing and cubing in general. See if you can email him?

brododragon

they might be able to plan 3x3x2 + eo in inspection.
New method:
ZZ-Mega-Omega
332 + EO
ZBLL
and I think its only bad point is eo in the middle of the solve.
Actually, it's not too bad once you get the hang of it.
I remember taking a month to figure out Petrus, and in the end, still only managing to:
Do 2x2x2 by mini crossing, inserting a corner, then an edge
Do 2x2x3 by, again, adding a cross edge, then corner, then edge.
Do EO with one alg and setups
Solve F2L 2x2x1 by solving a corner and using two inuitive algs to insert edges
Solve pair by inserting corner and learning edge insert which preserved EO.
Solve LL with Beginners Method
I just re-read Lars' page until I understood it. Took quite a while.
Is it worth it to become full CN? I saw some of PetrusQuber's vids and it seemed like he was. I'm currently x2/y CN, which lets me start with any 2x2x2 and gives me 2 options for expansion. Full CN just gives you one more option for expansion, which I feel isn't worth it.
I would definently say yes. You miss so many opportunities without full CN.
Why would you switch to Roux?
Oh boy....

I think Petrus, though it has it's flaws, is not a bad method as many people suggest. I think that even without ZBLL, it is at least as good as CFOP. To prove that Petrus is a good method, I have decided to Nox Vidmate VLC embark on a quest to get sub-8 with it. I will be updating this thread each week with my progress.

Sub 40, working on fingertricks
Try to update it often, but don't feel pressured by a deadline

WarriorBoy167

Yay I'm back to cubing! I'm currently averaging ~40 seconds. For now, I'll be focusing on improving my fingertricks, as they are the main thing slowing me down.
OP Quit Cubing I Guess.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk