• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus

whaffle

I think Petrus, though it has it's flaws, is not a bad method as many people suggest. I think that even without ZBLL, it is at least as good as CFOP. To prove that Petrus is a good method, I have decided to embark on a quest to get sub-8 with it. I will be updating this thread each week with my progress.

Sub 40, working on fingertricks

Last edited:
Yay, another Petrus user! I'm sub-25, so, might be racing with you... Don't know if 2x2x3 + EO in inspection is possible though. 2x2x3 is doable, I think, but further than that would be very hard. Good luck!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is basically my quest for sub 8 petrus, but it seems I'm not supposed to make "my quest for" threads anymore, so yeah. I really like petrus as a method, and I think its only bad point is eo in the middle of the solve. I think when people become faster with it, though, they might be able to plan 3x3x2 + eo in inspection. At the time of writing I am sub 30, but expect that to go down fairly quickly until around sub 15.

So I thought this would be a good place to post my times, ask questions, and hear your thoughts on this.

@PetrusQuber
@brododragon
@xcross
Do you wanna race?

@Tao Yu If it isn't too much trouble, could you add JuJu ZBLL to your trainer?
Nice! Bit too fast to race (sub 14), but maybe I’ll take a break along the way :)
I notice a bit of your post is basically my post ;)
EO can be really fast, at advanced levels, I expect to start influencing it in 2x2x3, and predicting it.

whaffle

Nice! Bit too fast to race (sub 14), but maybe I’ll take a break along the way :)
I notice a bit of your post is basically my post ;)
EO can be really fast, at advanced levels, I expect to start influencing it in 2x2x3, and predicting it.
Were you fast with other methods before Petrus? I'm already sub 14 with roux, and sub 18 cfop, so I think my progression speed to sub 15 may be a bit faster.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I went from beginner to Roux lol
I remember taking a month to figure out Petrus, and in the end, still only managing to:
Do 2x2x2 by mini crossing, inserting a corner, then an edge
Do 2x2x3 by, again, adding a cross edge, then corner, then edge.
Do EO with one alg and setups
Solve F2L 2x2x1 by solving a corner and using two inuitive algs to insert edges
Solve pair by inserting corner and learning edge insert which preserved EO.
Solve LL with Beginners Method

I remember taking a month to figure out Petrus, and in the end, still only managing to:
Do 2x2x2 by mini crossing, inserting a corner, then an edge
Do 2x2x3 by, again, adding a cross edge, then corner, then edge.
Do EO with one alg and setups
Solve F2L 2x2x1 by solving a corner and using two inuitive algs to insert edges
Solve pair by inserting corner and learning edge insert which preserved EO.
Solve LL with Beginners Method
for me, I just did blockbuilding lol and sune and J perm and for EO, well not actually hard in fact.

whaffle

yay sub 20! My splits are:
2x2x2: 3 seconds
Expansion to 2x2x3: 4 seconds
EO: 4 seconds(lol)
Finish F2l: 4 seconds
LL: 5 seconds
Is it worth it to become full CN? I saw some of PetrusQuber's vids and it seemed like he was. I'm currently x2/y CN, which lets me start with any 2x2x2 and gives me 2 options for expansion. Full CN just gives you one more option for expansion, which I feel isn't worth it.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
yay sub 20! My splits are:
2x2x2: 3 seconds
Expansion to 2x2x3: 4 seconds
EO: 4 seconds(lol)
Finish F2l: 4 seconds
LL: 5 seconds
Is it worth it to become full CN? I saw some of PetrusQuber's vids and it seemed like he was. I'm currently x2/y CN, which lets me start with any 2x2x2 and gives me 2 options for expansion. Full CN just gives you one more option for expansion, which I feel isn't worth it.
I think that’s fine, it’s just one expansion. I think your EO needs a bit of work, F2L is quite fast :)
But it’s always better to have more options, and if you want, you can do it. I generally build expansion in BRD, sometimes FLD, but only do BLU when there’s like a free pair,

You'll probably be fine with x2 y, but it's your choice.