• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My General Cubing Progress

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ZBLL is a big commitment! I'm not saying you can't do it, but I've seen people make the claim time and time again that they're going to learn full ZBLL only to give up after a week. You should definitely go for it if this is something you really want to do, but make sure you understand how much of a commitment it is before you jump in. It's not just learning a bunch of algs (which is already a very big deal); you also have to consistently practice implementing them in solves if you want to retain them. (Also, do you know COLL yet? I'd honestly recommend learning that first; it's much easier to retain and is a good first step to learning a huge algset like ZBLL.)

Hmm I realize that this message has some discouraging undertones, but please prove me wrong! I'd love to see your progress of learning full ZBLL if you decide to go through with it. :)

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks DG! Ive always been a good fan! I honestly don't know COLL but I wont let that stop me. I can just do an Oll then Pll. But thanks for your feedback and I WILL learn full zbll no matter what! I already got a trainer and everything downloaded. I also already learned one today because 2 gen I feel is easy to learn. so far it has been. But I know it will get harder when Fs and Ds start appearing

Apolo

Little tip:
Give yourself a rule: You have to learn at least a new ZBLL every 3 days. You can't go against this rule, it works very well to not give up

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
As you can tell im trying to learn full ZBLL. I am trying to switch to ZB so I feel starting with learning ZBLL is a good start considering I know enough VHLS to always get to yellow cross solved. I will post every Monday about my progress. Also that's to PetrusCuber for giving me this idea with him trying to get sub-8 With petrus.
Current ZBLLS learned:
ZBLL-T: No corner swap: 5
ZBLL-U: No corner swap: 1
Good luck with this! It’s definitely posdible!

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
As you can tell im trying to learn full ZBLL. I am trying to switch to ZB so I feel starting with learning ZBLL is a good start considering I know enough VHLS to always get to yellow cross solved. I will post every Monday about my progress. Also that's to PetrusCuber for giving me this idea with him trying to get sub-8 With petrus.
Current ZBLLS learned:
ZBLL-T: No corner swap: 5
ZBLL-U: No corner swap: 1
I haven't tried learning ZBLL myself, so take this with a grain of salt but I would highly recommend learning full COLL first. Each COLL alg is a ZBLL, so you're really just picking certain algs to learn first. Also, recognizing COLL cases is very important for ZBLL recognition and not super intuitive either.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey! So I'm pretty late to the party on this thread, but I was learning ZBLL about a year ago, and had a little over half done when I quit cubing because I didn't have the motivation, time, blah blah blah. anyway, if you're planning on learning ZBLL, definitely make sure you know COLL, as COLL is very important to learning ZBLL since its one of the main (and most common) ways of recognizing ZBLL's.

Some tips that will hopefully help you out:

1. Learn the alg before the recognition. I know this sounds weird and stupid but hear me out. By learning the alg before the recognition, you're allowing yourself to do the alg properly with the case set up, such that recognition is not only easier to learn, but also quicker.

2. Make sure you aren't just trying to drill the algs into muscle memory. This rarely works effectively, especially for larger algsets such as ZBLL, where some algs are bound to be similar. Instead, learn them by "tracking" where the pieces are and where they are going as you do the alg. I made a video about it in I think March, and I'll link that to you here.

3. For most people, ZBLL is daunting as it is one of the largest algsets that people will learn. Be careful not to try learning too many at once for risk of burnout (happened with me, I learned a whole set [T] in like 45 minutes, didn't learn any more for almost 4 months because I just didn't feel like it) Pacing is very important with this, especially if it seems like ZB is your end goal, as ZBLS is another 306 algs.

4. Have fun with it! Don't make it something you have to do because you said you'd do it, do it because its something you want to do. A word of advice about this specific bullet point, is that don't expect ZBLL to make you fast right off the bat. Until your recognition of cases and algs get faster you'll most likely have a little bit slower last layer, especially if you only know, say 25 out of 72 for a set, as you have to check whether you know the alg or not from the recognition.

edit: 5. I also strongly recommend you do NOT learn ZZLL or any other subset of ZBLL that is just ZBLL algs but controlled to reduce alg count. Make sure you go on a set by set basis, and by that I mean something like T 2GLL, then T diag-swap, etc.

Good Luck!

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey! So I'm pretty late to the party on this thread, but I was learning ZBLL about a year ago, and had a little over half done when I quit cubing because I didn't have the motivation, time, blah blah blah. anyway, if you're planning on learning ZBLL, definitely make sure you know COLL, as COLL is very important to learning ZBLL since its one of the main (and most common) ways of recognizing ZBLL's.

Some tips that will hopefully help you out:

1. Learn the alg before the recognition. I know this sounds weird and stupid but hear me out. By learning the alg before the recognition, you're allowing yourself to do the alg properly with the case set up, such that recognition is not only easier to learn, but also quicker.

2. Make sure you aren't just trying to drill the algs into muscle memory. This rarely works effectively, especially for larger algsets such as ZBLL, where some algs are bound to be similar. Instead, learn them by "tracking" where the pieces are and where they are going as you do the alg. I made a video about it in I think March, and I'll link that to you here.

3. For most people, ZBLL is daunting as it is one of the largest algsets that people will learn. Be careful not to try learning too many at once for risk of burnout (happened with me, I learned a whole set [T] in like 45 minutes, didn't learn any more for almost 4 months because I just didn't feel like it) Pacing is very important with this, especially if it seems like ZB is your end goal, as ZBLS is another 306 algs.

4. Have fun with it! Don't make it something you have to do because you said you'd do it, do it because its something you want to do. A word of advice about this specific bullet point, is that don't expect ZBLL to make you fast right off the bat. Until your recognition of cases and algs get faster you'll most likely have a little bit slower last layer, especially if you only know, say 25 out of 72 for a set, as you have to check whether you know the alg or not from the recognition.

edit: 5. I also strongly recommend you do NOT learn ZZLL or any other subset of ZBLL that is just ZBLL algs but controlled to reduce alg count. Make sure you go on a set by set basis, and by that I mean something like T 2GLL, then T diag-swap, etc.

Good Luck!
also you really should learn coll first, you have to learn them anyway but if you learn them first then you can still do all the coll cases while your learning zbll, you don't have to, but it will make it easier
I get COLL is important but I really don't care. Sorry if I sound rude

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I get COLL is important but I really don't care. Sorry if I sound rude

COLL isn't just important, it is damn near mandatory for ZBLL. COLL is quite literally how you recognize your ZBLL's and tell the difference between some of them, and whether you like it or not, the 42 COLL algs are all ZBLL's themselves, so you're going to learn them anyway whether you want to or not.

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
Week 2 update and news:
ZBLL-T: No swap: 12 Diag swap: 4
ZBLL-U: No swap: 1
Ima take a break from ZBLLs for now because I am trying to make a skewb method. Unsure if it already exists. about to make a thread on it