• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My first Speed Cube!!!

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
any way why would you want to hybrid it?
To make a better cube.

Type D core doesn't cut corners, and you can't get the screws all the way in. This results in a cube that jams a little bit and is pretty loose (for 100% Type D cube).

The old Type A core is good at cutting corners, and will let you get the screws all the way in. This results in a cube that barely jams and almost never pops (for Type D cube with old Type A core).

McWizzle94

WCA
2008CHAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, just no. Being able to solve doesn't mean you should get a DIY. And with a pb of 3 minutes, there isn't much speed. There aren't many benefits you can reap from owning a DIY. You probably never use fingertricks. That would pretty much make the adjustability feature useless. You probably never pop on a storebought. Once again, the adjustability is of no use. I don't see why people rush out and buy a DIY when they don't even need it. The "Omg, I need better times. Must buy DIY's. They magically decrease times" mentality is getting really annoying now.

i completely agree with you. All i have to say is that I got Sub-20 times even before i got a DIY. I have been using my first cube (a store bought walgreens cube) for a year, and i still use the corners in my hybrid cube.

also, wasn't Yu Nakajima using a Storebought cube up until like a couple months ago?

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, just no. Being able to solve doesn't mean you should get a DIY. And with a pb of 3 minutes, there isn't much speed. There aren't many benefits you can reap from owning a DIY. You probably never use fingertricks. That would pretty much make the adjustability feature useless. You probably never pop on a storebought. Once again, the adjustability is of no use. I don't see why people rush out and buy a DIY when they don't even need it. The "Omg, I need better times. Must buy DIY's. They magically decrease times" mentality is getting really annoying now.

i completely agree with you. All i have to say is that I got Sub-20 times even before i got a DIY. I have been using my first cube (a store bought walgreens cube) for a year, and i still use the corners in my hybrid cube.

also, wasn't Yu Nakajima using a Storebought cube up until like a couple months ago?

Yu Nakajima used a storebought for world championship 2007. If you can get times like that with a store bought. There's no need for a DIY until you get sub-20sec.

And I agree that there's a lot of mentality towards DIY cubes. Get super fast times out of thin air. Whatever. I got sub-20sec times with my store bought (also from walgreens). With times like 2-3 minutes, don't bother wasting the money to get a DIY with cubesmith stickers knowing you can't even do sub-1 minute. If you think you can be like Nakajima, Harris Chan, Jason Baum, etc.etc.etc, just because you have a DIY cube, you have to know that DIYs ARE NOT magical self solving cubes.

I just prefer a white cube and that's the only reason to my decision to buy a DIY. If they sold white store bought cubes, I'll still be using a store bought right now.

Laurentius

So is the White DIY type (a) a horrible cube?

Because I've ordered one, along with an eastsheen 2x2x2 cube. I am sort of in the same situation as the threadstarter, considering I can only average about 1 min, but instead of ordering stickers, I ordered 2 cubes that already has stickers for 20$ more, so I sort of though it would be cool with a better cube anyway. But now I see everyone talking bad about the a type, and I'm already regretting..

MistArts

Because I've ordered one, along with an eastsheen 2x2x2 cube. I am sort of in the same situation as the threadstarter, considering I can only average about 1 min, but instead of ordering stickers, I ordered 2 cubes that already has stickers for 20$ more, so I sort of though it would be cool with a better cube anyway. But now I see everyone talking bad about the a type, and I'm already regretting..

Read carefully. The third model is bad.

Laurentius

Read carefully. The third model is bad.

Oh :)
White DIYKit 3x3x3 Cube II (a)

So it's cool?

H

hdskull

Didn't read all of the responses, but, according to some people, a DIY isn't necessary until you're as fast as Nakaji or have won World Championships with a store bought.

If I'm not a reknowned F1 driver, then I can't buy a Ferrari? Even if I suck nuts at driving, I still have the right to purchase whatever car I want as long as I have the money and a driver's license. Same thing applies here.

Back on topic: you probably should've checked this forum's threads regarding which cube is the best to buy before you purchased the cube. I've heard a few bad things about the 3rd type. I still recommend the original type-A I've used it the whole time I've been cubing.

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I'm not a reknowned F1 driver, then I can't buy a Ferrari? Even if I suck nuts at driving, I still have the right to purchase whatever car I want as long as I have the money and a driver's license. Same thing applies here.

Skulls right but any way what ppl are saying is that the cube i bought is a good cube has a few probs but is a good cube (not the best) am i right?

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Skulls right but any way what ppl are saying is that the cube i bought is a good cube has a few probs but is a good cube (not the best) am i right?

don't get me wrong. Overall its an ok cube for your average. Its just that you can get results from a good regular cube. Well its your money do what you want with it.

ductape98

I have been cubing for one month and i'm at 47 sec. So i don't think you have been cubing for a month. Any way thats a great cube for now, mist arts is probibly in a "cherry picker" they search for the very best store boughts.

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

don't get me wrong. Overall its an ok cube for your average. Its just that you can get results from a good regular cube. Well its your money do what you want with it.

No i agree with you if ive been speed cubing for years and hear some one whos been cubbing for a few weeks wanting to get a DIY i wouldent want him/her getting one, but still i love cubing, and i just wanted to know what ppl think about my cube i got but still is a D/A core hybrid better then a pure A diy?

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

No i agree with you if ive been speed cubing for years and hear some one whos been cubbing for a few weeks wanting to get a DIY i wouldent want him/her getting one, but still i love cubing, and i just wanted to know what ppl think about my cube i got but still is a D/A core hybrid better then a pure A diy?

I have tried that cube before and i've gotten sub-20 so it really is a GOOD cube. But you can't get the BEST cube until you make a hybrid. But OVERALL that cube will get you great results but not the best.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
hey when and if i put the tabs on it can i take it off?

Get a cheap file from a hardware store and some sandpaper. Start removing parts that the cube doesn't need internally. :D

Unless the plastic easily breaks and the core is weak, you can still turn that DIY into a good speed cube.

Some people just think that if a cube isn't "born" elite, then it's not worthy for their hands. For the rest, start hacking bits off. :cool:

Tim.

darkzelkova

NEVER ever ever ever EVER get a DIY until you really NEED it! Ever! Okay!?!

That's what people keep saying and it is making me pretty mad. If someone has one of those cheap, cheap, CHEAP imitation cubes (you know which ones i mean) that aren't meant for turning and moving them is next to impossible, then get another cube. If you get a DIY at 3:00 then it's fine. Just don't expect it to make your time all that better, and don't complain if it doesn't. If it does though, then great!

In short - don't complain if it doesn't improve your time, and don't tell people that they shouldn't get one because it won't improve their time.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Speed is not the only reason for changing. I have made the switch from storebought to DIY when I was averaging around 45; the DIY didn't magically improve my times, but feels more comfortable to use, and being tunable is IMHO a big advantage. I really don't regret it.