• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Moyu should stop releasing so many cubes..?

potatoman

So I heard about a bunch of controversy regarding this topic and was just kind of confused on how it all started/what exactly it's about. Yeah I'm a bit late to the topic, but it still seems like it's somewhat relevant even right now, so I figured I'd dig a little deeper.

I mean at the end of the day, it's not like the company making the cube affects you is it? I just don't understand the controversy behind it and all these arguments that "____ company should stop releasing so many cubes."

It'd be cool if someone can enlighten me on all these potential arguments. I just don't understand it.

Sion

I can explain.

Moyu is trying to be the "everyone should use us!" company, and releases hoardes of puzzles. they release so many that it ends up turning into "you just released another average cube that was overhyped" and ends up just releasing more overexaggerated puzzles and flops (the GTS feels like a less-gansy gans and not like a weilong at all, and the meiyu was the biggest 4x4 overhype flop of the year.)

potatoman

I can explain.

Moyu is trying to be the "everyone should use us!" company, and releases hoardes of puzzles. they release so many that it ends up turning into "you just released another average cube that was overhyped" and ends up just releasing more overexaggerated puzzles and flops (the GTS feels like a less-gansy gans and not like a weilong at all, and the meiyu was the biggest 4x4 overhype flop of the year.)

yeah okay, I see what you mean but that still doesn't explain why people are so angry.
I mean I'm just kind of confused as to why everyone thinks Moyu releasing a bunch of cubes is such a big deal...it's overhyped, sure. But even if it does get overhyped, and it turns out it isn't as they claim it to be, what's the big deal? If you don't like it, just don't get it and it won't affect your life at all...

Also I think people need to think from a marketing standpoint. I mean, they're a business. Obviously they're going to hype up their cubes so that people want to buy them. They want to make more money...that's the point of the business. If they stop producing a bunch of cubes, they lose profit. And no company wants that.

I guess the only people this would really affect would be those YouTube puzzle collectors where they feel obligated to get literally every single cube Moyu releases for a video...but then again, isn't that how they profit anyway? From making videos ON the cubes Moyu releases? So why exactly are they complaining?

I don't know man. it seems 3x3 technology is reaching a sort of limit, but people are still expecting Moyu to be releasing revolutionary cubes like they did with the Weilong/Aolong a few years back. Not sure why everyone is so mad.

Sion

yeah okay, I see what you mean but that still doesn't explain why people are so angry.
I mean I'm just kind of confused as to why everyone thinks Moyu releasing a bunch of cubes is such a big deal...it's overhyped, sure. But even if it does get overhyped, and it turns out it isn't as they claim it to be, what's the big deal? If you don't like it, just don't get it and it won't affect your life at all...

Also I think people need to think from a marketing standpoint. I mean, they're a business. Obviously they're going to hype up their cubes so that people want to buy them. They want to make more money...that's the point of the business. If they stop producing a bunch of cubes, they lose profit. And no company wants that.

I guess the only people this would really affect would be those YouTube puzzle collectors where they feel obligated to get literally every single cube Moyu releases for a video...but then again, isn't that how they profit anyway? From making videos ON the cubes Moyu releases? So why exactly are they complaining?

I don't know man. it seems 3x3 technology is reaching a sort of limit, but people are still expecting Moyu to be releasing revolutionary cubes like they did with the Weilong/Aolong a few years back. Not sure why everyone is so mad.

I wouldn't necessarily say mad. it's more of annoyed. i mean, honestly, if you look at videos of the dayan guhong (cyoubx's 2014 review of the guhong per-se), some of them display yuexiao corner cutting.

It's annoying to see cubers get hyped over really just basic designs, as compared to moyu's early "long" cubes (Weilong, Weilong V2, Aolong, Aolong V2, and Hualong.) The neo-modern Longs (Tanglong, AoLong GT, Weilong gts) are rather just elementary designs with today's standards of performance that were already attained in the past, and is starting to backslide.

XTowncuber

WCA
2010BRAD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think part of the problem is that people think of all the different sub brands as just one company. This year MoYu itself has only released WeiPo 2x2, WeiLong GTS 3x3, BoChuang and WeiChuang 5x5s, and soon the magnetic skewb and pyraminx. The only repeat is 5x5 and both of those puzzles were different, new, and really good.

potatoman

So from what I understand, what you guys are saying is that people are annoyed because Moyu hasn't really released any 3x3s with "revolutionary new design"? I mean that seems a bit silly to me; at this point, 3x3 technology is so advanced that stuff like corner cutting/turn speed is almost trivial, since all modern cubes on the market can pretty much be adjusted to however fast you want and however much corner cutting you want.

And yeah Drew, I see what you're saying, which is ironic since I believe Moyu is a sub brand of YJ, not the other way around. So really, people should be complaining more about YJ's constant release of new puzzles; then again, I never saw it as a negative thing and I don't see why other people should. What's wrong with more puzzles? Not like you're FORCED to spend money on it.

I dunno if there's just something I'm not seeing or what, but if the only reason people are annoyed is because the cubes are only "decent" and not "amazing and mindblowing", it seems that our community's expectations have gone up far too significantly; kinda like a spoiled child.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I t
So from what I understand, what you guys are saying is that people are annoyed because Moyu hasn't really released any 3x3s with "revolutionary new design"? I mean that seems a bit silly to me; at this point, 3x3 technology is so advanced that stuff like corner cutting/turn speed is almost trivial, since all modern cubes on the market can pretty much be adjusted to however fast you want and however much corner cutting you want.

And yeah Drew, I see what you're saying, which is ironic since I believe Moyu is a sub brand of YJ, not the other way around. So really, people should be complaining more about YJ's constant release of new puzzles; then again, I never saw it as a negative thing and I don't see why other people should. What's wrong with more puzzles? Not like you're FORCED to spend money on it.

I dunno if there's just something I'm not seeing or what, but if the only reason people are annoyed is because the cubes are only "decent" and not "amazing and mindblowing", it seems that our community's expectations have gone up far too significantly; kinda like a spoiled child.
I think some people are annoyed simply because they liked having the newest and best cube but since moyu releases so many by the time the shipping gets to them it is no longer the newest, most up to date cube.

Also, with so much choice, it's kind of hard to choose as each time they really hype up a cube it's a gamble to get that one or one that you know works and by the time they can check the reviews they are already hyping another new cube so the decision remains.

IDK why I'm even typing this. I haven't even got any new cubes apart from one bad sq-1 (the rest were second hand).

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I don't see any problem. More cubes means more choice for everyone. Sure it may be difficult to chose one if budget is a problem, but realistically any of the new cubes will work just fine for almost everyone.

Those that complain about new cubes being released ... just go sit in your corner with your cube .. really. If you're happy with your cube quite complaining about other being released.

Lightake.com

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't see any problem. More cubes means more choice for everyone. Sure it may be difficult to chose one if budget is a problem, but realistically any of the new cubes will work just fine for almost everyone.

Those that complain about new cubes being released ... just go sit in your corner with your cube .. really. If you're happy with your cube quite complaining about other being released.

Haha ,just go sit in your corner with your cube ,me here not a corner ,wall by wall cubes

rumarfer28

You don't have to buy them all if you don't want XD

For most part of the people 3x3's are unsurpassable since some time ago, indeed some people is still using an aolong as their mains. So, if you are happy with your cube, just ignore revolucionary promises of companies, none new 3x3 will be revolucionary.

The same is starting to happen with 5x5 or 2x2, even 4x4.
All the improvements will be very slighly, so unless you're a professional speedcuber there's no need to upgrade unless your cube is getting old or damage.

Personally I think magnets aren't necessary, but companies will be using them on their new pyras and skewbs in order to increase their sales. I am pretty sure the tips of the new moyu pyra are considerably worse than the original one, and if the puzzle is overall better is for the design of the pieces, not for the magnets. If the point was to have a softer click would have been enough adjustable ballbearings like in the Qiyi one, magnets don't let you adjust anything, so I don't see the improvment anywhere.

In the future there will be more "revolucionary" improvements like this or like the squared corner design was, marketing strategies that doesn't seem to improve the performance too much... BUT, more products can only be better for the consumer, never worse

DTCuber

I dunno if there's just something I'm not seeing or what, but if the only reason people are annoyed is because the cubes are only "decent" and not "amazing and mindblowing", it seems that our community's expectations have gone up far too significantly; everyone is a spoiled child.

ftfy

N Zhang

its difficult to relase a revolutionary 3x3cubes,including 4x4.i got a lot of new products this year when the new cubes doesnt on saling.my feeling talks to me

M

Malkom

I think people get pissed because moyu releases tons of 3x3 without really improving them instead of focusing on events where better hardware is "needed" such as clock and Sq1.