• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] MoYu AoSu 4x4x4

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Total voters

Liz

This thread is for reviews of the MoYu AoSu 4x4x4. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just found this review about MoYu AoSu --- A new 4x4x4 cube with 3x3x3 good function.
It is said that it is the updated version of Weisu and will be better than Weisu.

Like to share this review with you all here:

Link here:

[video]http://v.qq.com/boke/page/x/j/z/x10733cokjz.html[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

GuhongV100

Hey guys,

I've found a site here that shows some better images of the Aosu, showing the mechanism of the inner pieces and such.

It's looking quite different to the Weisu, especially in the large internal pieces. It looks like they are also making a stickerless version, and if the Aosu is better than the Weisu, we'll have a awesomely illegal stickerless 4x4, (finally). The stickerless Diansheng 4x4 and Cyclone Boys 4x4 were decent puzzles, but they locked up a bit.

Hopefully the Aosu is good.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys,

I've found a site here that shows some better images of the Aosu, showing the mechanism of the inner pieces and such.

It's looking quite different to the Weisu, especially in the large internal pieces. It looks like they are also making a stickerless version, and if the Aosu is better than the Weisu, we'll have a awesomely illegal stickerless 4x4, (finally). The stickerless Diansheng 4x4 and Cyclone Boys 4x4 were decent puzzles, but they locked up a bit.

Hopefully the Aosu is good.

It looks very much like they took some design nods from the Weilong. The ridges around the center pieces, the base around the stalks of the corner pieces. And what completely separates it from Shengshou and others are the anti-popping ridges on the dedges. It also looks as if both the large AND small internal pieces have anti-locking-type designs. Which is making me very much look forward to giving this cube a try.

I might not feel like throwing down another $20 on a new cube right away... but as a compulsive collector, I will probably pick it up eventually.

GuhongV100

It seems that they have changed all the pieces slightly, the corner has a bit of Lunhui-ing going on, the base has become a prism rather than a plate, they have removed the small fins from the edges to replace them with a pseudo-anchor thing, locking with the center, which has a weird stem.

The internal pieces look revamped, longer and seem to lock together. By what I've seen so far from CBC and CubeorCubes, it looks fast, though it may be prone to locking out of the box.

It looks great, I just wish would have released the Aosu later so I would have enjoyed the Weisu more while it was the best on the market.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right out of the box, my Aosu is experiencing issues. One axis is much tighter than the other two. Meaning I can do Rw2, no resistance. Uw2, no resistance. Then Fw2... lots of resistance. Even though I've loosening the tensions on all side, the level of resistance stays the same. And since the core moves independently after each solve, the axis that experiences this tightness changes throughout the solve. It really sucks when the tightness winds up on my M axis during OLL parity.

I'm going to tear this thing down, clean it, and relube it. Hopefully that helps. Has anyone else experiences this? Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Edit: it seems as it a piece of plastic was jammed between the circle and square pieces on one of the centers, causing extra friction. Everything's fine now!

Last edited:

DavidCip86

WCA
2014CIPR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't really know if this is the right place for my question lol... but what is a good lube to use on this cube? Mine came in yesterday and I used standard lubicle. It was really fast at first but after maybe 30 solves its getting kinda slower... does it get better again after more solves?

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've had the AoSu for a few days and done at least a couple hundred solves. Here's my take on it:

I find it's like a slightly smoother, faster Weisu that doesn't pop at all. For the first day I used it, it was really inconsistent, super fast, but I had lots of lockups due to bad corner-cutting. Today however, I completely disassembled it and lube everything, and it got much better: much smoother, more consistent and the corner cutting was much better. Also, I didn't get the inner-layer only turning problem anymore.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't really know if this is the right place for my question lol... but what is a good lube to use on this cube? Mine came in yesterday and I used standard lubicle. It was really fast at first but after maybe 30 solves its getting kinda slower... does it get better again after more solves?

Phil gives a brief break-down of how he lubes his Aosu in his review.

Last edited by a moderator:

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mine is suppose to arrive within the next few days, do hopefully it's be super ultra amazing and I'll use it at Berkeley.

Edit: It just arrived. I have piano, and a science exam to study for, but I'll probably be able to play with it for a little while...

Last edited: