• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Memory Methods

WCA
2012BRAS01
Anki is a good method for practicing them.
Oh believe me, I know :). I've used anki to associate 2200 kanji to keywords and to learn the meaning of nearly 2000 Japanese vocab words, and I plan to use anki to associate letter pairs to images and images to commutators. I just am hesitant to add 400 cards that I might not really need. However, right now the consensus seems to be that a word list would help, so I will heavily consider it.
Do you practice tracing? The easier you find that then the more you can concentrate on memo.
What do you mean? Do you just mean going through all the pieces in my edge cycles? Should I be thinking of the letters, but just not memorizing them?
Memo the first 8 edge targets with audio, and if there are more, just visualize where the sticker is (probably even faster than full audio if you don't forget the visual part of your memo).
Hmm, interesting, I'll try this out. I've never really tried visual memory before so I'll be bad, but in the long term this might be really good.

Thanks everyone!

I'm very motivated to improve in BLD, and I think that currently, my slowest step is memorization of the edges.

I use audio memory for the edges and have a lot of issues with retaining 12+ letters through audio pairs. I'm not really seeing much improvement after practicing, and it's not getting easier to remember it all.

I see three options for me that I'm willing to do. First, I could keep at it and hope it gets easier and faster. Many fast people do this, so in theory, I should be able too, with enough practice. Secondly, I could memorize a list of one syllable words, like Chris Hardwick does. I think this would result in better retention, but doing this is a lot of work that I'm not sure I'm up to do, especially while I'm busy writing up my letter pair to image list. And finally, I was working on a system to encode more letters into one syllable. I really like linguistics and therefore I have a pretty good understanding of how syllables and sounds are formed. I couldn't quite figure out how to pack 4 letters in one syllable though. I could make a system to encode 3 letters into a syllable, but that would get confusing as I currently use M2. With either of these, I would practically lose all my progress in familiarity with my letter scheme and encoding them into sounds, and this system would be very complex, assigning multiple sounds to each sticker depending on the part of the syllable. However, retaining the letters would be muuuuuch easier.

I'm most leaning towards option two, but I wanted to ask what other better people thought. Thanks!
I also have had this problem in the past, Here's what i do now.

I use a P.A.O system for corners (Can chuck locations in also if it is relevant and strengthens the image) and for edges i always do the first 8 with audio and the last ones (If any) with two fast words that don't need to make much sense, like DGOJ would be DoG OJ (Orange Juice or OJ Simpson). I also memo corner twists as a specific person for each corner and they are displayed a certain way depending on rotation direction, Edge flips are purely visual (I leave my fingers on the flips during the memo and just before dropping the blindfold i "Snapshot" where my fingers were).

Before i started doing this, about 2 months ago, i would use sentence memo for corners and full audio for edges with flips and twists being visual. My memo splits (according to the times i was getting just before switching) were 10-20 seconds for corners and 20-35 seconds for edges with somewhat poor accuracy, unless i was aiming for accuracy but then i would be going into the higher memo time.

Looking at today's session data i am getting 7 seconds for corners and 9-13 seconds for edges with some going over these and some going as low as sub-15 memo. But that seems to be the general area. Accuracy also increased quite dramatically a couple of days after switching but that was also the same day i decided to switch parity methods.

The best thing i like about this is that when i'm doing the first 8 edges i can rehearse the corner memo quite easily at the same time and then when i am doing the last of the edges i can do a quick recall of the first 8 and then finally snapshot any flipped edges.

I don't know if this ramble helped at all but this is the way i have found that works best for me. P.A.O images for corners mean i can go as fast as i like and not worry about strengthening, but it did take about 2 months to make a full list and their's still some pairs that are not fluent.

Good luck, man!

WCA
2012BRAS01
I also have had this problem in the past, Here's what i do now.

I use a P.A.O system for corners (Can chuck locations in also if it is relevant and strengthens the image) and for edges i always do the first 8 with audio and the last ones (If any) with two fast words that don't need to make much sense, like DGOJ would be DoG OJ (Orange Juice or OJ Simpson). I also memo corner twists as a specific person for each corner and they are displayed a certain way depending on rotation direction, Edge flips are purely visual (I leave my fingers on the flips during the memo and just before dropping the blindfold i "Snapshot" where my fingers were).

Before i started doing this, about 2 months ago, i would use sentence memo for corners and full audio for edges with flips and twists being visual. My memo splits (according to the times i was getting just before switching) were 10-20 seconds for corners and 20-35 seconds for edges with somewhat poor accuracy, unless i was aiming for accuracy but then i would be going into the higher memo time.

Looking at today's session data i am getting 7 seconds for corners and 9-13 seconds for edges with some going over these and some going as low as sub-15 memo. But that seems to be the general area. Accuracy also increased quite dramatically a couple of days after switching but that was also the same day i decided to switch parity methods.

The best thing i like about this is that when i'm doing the first 8 edges i can rehearse the corner memo quite easily at the same time and then when i am doing the last of the edges i can do a quick recall of the first 8 and then finally snapshot any flipped edges.

I don't know if this ramble helped at all but this is the way i have found that works best for me. P.A.O images for corners mean i can go as fast as i like and not worry about strengthening, but it did take about 2 months to make a full list and their's still some pairs that are not fluent.

Good luck, man!
I really like your strategy for edges. I think memorizing the first eight letters with audio and the rest with words (that critically, aren't necessarily one syllable, so that I wouldn't have to make a new list), would work very well for me. Or maybe I could do the first 4 targets with words and the rest with audio, I'll have to try them both out.

This does mean that I need to add more letters to my letter pair list, in order to accommodate the different buffer, which might be problematic. For example, for "X" I am often using "A" when I can't find an image that uses "X", which is fine since my buffer has "A". However, if I implement this, I would have to make sure not to confuse "A" with "X" pretending to be "A", if that makes sense. I mean this is something I'd have to do anyway if I wanted to get into bigger cubes BLD, which I think I will. (quick sidenote: I plan on using a UB buffer for when I switch to 3-style, which has my "A" letter, so this is a short term problem)

Thanks for ramble and for the luck!

WCA
2012BRAS01
Not that I would know but....
UF I think is faster at least that's what fast people say
This is completely off topic at this point, but my justification is that the commutators with UB are actually just as good as with UF, and my buffer for corner and my buffer for edge would be right next to each other, allowing for easier setups to 22LL cases if I ever decided to get super super serious about BLD.

Also, I really like the consistency of having my first letter in my lettering scheme be my buffer, no matter the type of piece.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
MASTERMIND2368
I just found this now and am gonna share something that I did, I bet some people might use something like it, but whatever. When I first started BLD, to memo my first edge cycle I would replace the letters with the "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink." In Sia's song, chandelier. Hope it helped someone.

I just found this now and am gonna share something that I did, I bet some people might use something like it, but whatever. When I first started BLD, to memo my first edge cycle I would replace the letters with the "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink." In Sia's song, chandelier. Hope it helped someone.
Could you elaborate further on that? I have no idea what you mean.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
MASTERMIND2368
Could you elaborate further on that? I have no idea what you mean.
Well I hope that you know the song "Chandelier." If not, then check it out here,
. When it says, "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, I just sing my first edge cycle to the tune of the song when it says "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, so I might sing, " X, Q, I, H, U, P, T." and have it in my head.

Well I hope that you know the song "Chandelier." If not, then check it out here,
. When it says, "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, I just sing my first edge cycle to the tune of the song when it says "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, so I might sing, " X, Q, I, H, U, P, T." and have it in my head.
Ahhh, i get it now. Making it a rhythmical thing. Yeah that's a useful thing to do aswell.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
newtonbase
What about just sounding out letters? Do people find it easier choosing words?
I assume that you are still talking about pairs. Issues you can have are words sounding similar. For me KT is KaT. It would be easy to recall that as CaT if I didn't have a system that I know (CT is ChaT).
If you mean sounding out the individual letters then you are doubling the amount you have to recall and it's harder to keep track of parity. Not recommended.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
FastCubeMaster
I assume that you are still talking about pairs. Issues you can have are words sounding similar. For me KT is KaT. It would be easy to recall that as CaT if I didn't have a system that I know (CT is ChaT).
If you mean sounding out the individual letters then you are doubling the amount you have to recall and it's harder to keep track of parity. Not recommended.
No, I meant sounding out the individual letters, and I'm curious: why does it double the amount I have to recall? If you just say like "plskatinb" it can sometimes be very fast

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
c/TomNelson1
No, I meant sounding out the individual letters, and I'm curious: why does it double the amount I have to recall? If you just say like "plskatinb" it can sometimes be very fast
Sounding out individual letters is twice the amount of syllables to recall. It's definitely slower and makes things harder.

plskatinb = Pee Ell Ess Kay Ay Tee Eye En Bee
plskatinb = Pill Seek At In B

The 2nd one is much faster to encode and recall. But you also shouldn't stick completely to real words. Like you can just pronounce OB and VU how they're spelled.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
FastCubeMaster
Sounding out individual letters is twice the amount of syllables to recall. It's definitely slower and makes things harder.

plskatinb = Pee Ell Ess Kay Ay Tee Eye En Bee
plskatinb = Pill Seek At In B

The 2nd one is much faster to encode and recall. But you also shouldn't stick completely to real words. Like you can just pronounce OB and VU how they're spelled.
Whoops, 'individual' may have been the wrong word for me to use.
I was meaning sounding out each letter like in a word.
plskatinb is spelled literally the same as how it's pronounced in what I'm talking about. maybe: "Pl-uh-sk-at-inb" (not seperated for syllables).

Really, I thought this was how everyone did it and that's what everyone meant when they said audio edges (although I knew audio edges can be done in many different ways).

I average 1:30-1:40 but I'll try out the words and sounds combination

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
c/TomNelson1
plskatinb is spelled literally the same as how it's pronounced in what I'm talking about. maybe: "Pl-uh-sk-at-inb" (not seperated for syllables).

Really, I thought this was how everyone did it and that's what everyone meant when they said audio edges (although I knew audio edges can be done in many different ways).

Oh okay, I thought you might have meant that. That's basically what I/most people do. It's just that you've lumped more letters together.

If I saw plskatinb written down, yeah I would memo it as "pluh-skat-inb". But you wanna create the sounds as you go, at least when you start doing no review audio.

Essentially, if you want to pronounce plskatinb as it's written, you have to memo the whole letter string somehow, then convert it to audio.

Edit: You should also always memo in even chunks (whether in pairs, 4's, 6's) because it makes M2 easier, and it makes 3-cycles A LOT easier.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
newtonbase

That's audio but not strictly pairs. If it works for you then stick with it. Pairs should cut down on mistakes and help track parity though.

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
abunickabhi
Rhythm(Beats) is a very good concept.
It is just non-linear metronome, which can come handy, since we are memorising things that are distinct.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?