• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Melbourne Summer Open 2011 Dates?

C

CubeX

Hey guys,

I was just wondering when would the Melbourne Summer Open 2011 be taken place?

Would it be like last time (2010) on the January 30th?

All of the schools in Melbourne start on the 4th of February 2011.

I personally think that the competition should be held between 30th of January and 3rd of February inclusive.

When do you want MSO 2011 to be taken place? Please post your dates on this thread.

Thank you.

Timothy Ng

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ya because what you want totally matters.

I'd suggest if you want to demand competitions at a particular time you should organise them yourself. Lucky for you Tim was planning it for the last Saturday in January.

C

CubeX

Dene, no need to take this SO seriously.

I just wanted to see what were OTHER PEOPLES' PREFERRED times are, not just MINE...

Edit: And plus, i'm not even over 18. So i can not possibly be a WCA delegate and/or organizer. I'm only in Year 10, so i'm not that old.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe a 13 year old has attempted to host a competition. Also, of course any competition you host will have either me and/or Tim in attendance so no need to worry about having a delegate there. All I'm saying is that basically, whenever a comp is, is whenever it is. What other people want really doesn't matter because they will tend to come anyway.

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just before school starts in Jan is becoming a regular I think. There was some talk about trying to align this with a competition the week before in Sydney but thats up to the sydney folk to organise.
The heated topic is the content. Just cubes or all the other clock, magic, and megapyraminx(sic) stuff and have it over two days sort of thing. Personally I think Dene should get a chance to do his feet thing again....

RCTACameron

WCA
2010STOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 days? I think that if Melbourne Cube Day ran in 1 with Multi and FMC, you could cut them out and put in Pyra and Magic. I personally think that basically the same events as last year would be good, but with 3 rounds of 3x3, and 2x2 if there's time. I'm happy with whatever Tim wants, as long as there's 2x2.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
The heated topic is the content. Just cubes or all the other clock, magic, and megapyraminx(sic) stuff and have it over two days sort of thing. Personally I think Dene should get a chance to do his feet thing again....

I really don't think just cubes. That was what Melbourne Cube Day was for :p
Also, events like Pyra take 10-15 minutes, and magic is literally less than 5 minutes as long as we have judges. No point to kick those out. Clock has what, 4/5 competitors? Maybe a few more? It's a fairly quick event. I think it should be very similar to Melbourne Winter Open 2010's events/rounds. They worked well, and most people were happy. We didn't have multi, or big cubes bld, however, we gave competitors in those a chance if they could find a judge who would happily sacrifice his lunch time. We had a lot of events, and at least 2 rounds of almost everything. If someone could dig up the schedule we used... I'll have a look in my email, because it worked well :)
One problem is judges. At Melbourne Cube Day we had 8 stations I think? But for most of the day, there was only 3 or 4 running, as we didn't have enough volunteers. I know for some of you, you compete in every, or most events, but take AvG. He competed in everything, but still found time to help out. Once you've finished you're solves, just ask how you can help. I find it fun to help out, and it gives you something to always do.

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, what was discussed was

2x2: (2)
3x3: (3)
4x4: (1)
5x5: (1)
BLD: (1)
OH: (2)
Magic: (1)
Master Magic: (1)
Clock: (1)
Square-1: (1)
Pyraminx: (2)
and bigbld during lunch.

We should be able to fit this into a day

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Yeah, Melbourne Winter Open was just that (I had that in my email), but on the day we added an extra round of Square-1 and magic. If we could fit more, surely (even though we've gained competitors) we could fit this much. And the square-1 final was extremely time consuming with aronpm scrambling :p

aronpm

Yeah, Melbourne Winter Open was just that (I had that in my email), but on the day we added an extra round of Square-1 and magic. If we could fit more, surely (even though we've gained competitors) we could fit this much. And the square-1 final was extremely time consuming with aronpm scrambling :p

What, I didn't go to MWO. And Dene and Faz said I was a lot quicker at scrambling than the scramblers at MWO.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
What, I didn't go to MWO. And Dene and Faz said I was a lot quicker at scrambling than the scramblers at MWO.

I meant by my post...
Melbourne Winter Open had the same events and rounds as Faz posted, except on the day we added a second round of magic and square-1. At MWO, the square-1 final was terrible. It took literally an hour for 4 people to do their solves, as the scrambler(s) kept messing up, as they weren't used to scrambling square-1s. You weren't there to scramble, so it didn't run smoothly (like Aus nats). I then commented, at how we had 32 competitors at MWO, and we managed to have that many rounds, of that many events. If it ran that well, surely Melbourne Summer Open (2011) should run just as well, even if we do have more competitors (perhaps upwards of 40), and considering all the time wasted in square-1 at MWO, won't need to happen at MSO.
Understand? :p

RCTACameron

WCA
2010STOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No megaminx?

Megaminx is very time consuming because it takes a long time to solve and scramble. Also, it isn't a very popular event.

Also, I'd say that 1 round of Magic is enough, but sq-1 finals if there's time. Edit: Maybe not sq-1 finals. How many stations were running at MWO? 4? There could be a lot more at this, so more time.

Last edited: