• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

Fawn

I know this isn't much of a request for help but...

OH MAN I DUN GOOF'

I bought some mf8 tiles and put them on my dayan megaminx, which is my main, and I guess I got so used to the ridges that, now that I have tiles, my times have gone up by around 49 seconds and there's a competition this weekend! How the hell do people control this madness!?

image.jpg

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this isn't much of a request for help but...

OH MAN I DUN GOOF'

I bought some mf8 tiles and put them on my dayan megaminx, which is my main, and I guess I got so used to the ridges that, now that I have tiles, my times have gone up by around 49 seconds and there's a competition this weekend! How the hell do people control this madness!?

View attachment 4066

I'm pretty sure people usually choose either ridges or tiles, not both at the same time
so you have to choose one or the other
...sorry I got no idea on how to help it

Marco Cuber

Is it natural normal for you to practice megaminx a lot then when you do 3x3 you get worse times than normal? I was doing mega for 5 days straight and then when I do 3x3 I average 2 seconds slower than my average before the 5 days I did mega. Have any of you experienced this?
And I use ridges, Jim , so I can't help you. :( sry

Fawn

Is it natural normal for you to practice megaminx a lot then when you do 3x3 you get worse times than normal? I was doing mega for 5 days straight and then when I do 3x3 I average 2 seconds slower than my average before the 5 days I did mega. Have any of you experienced this?
And I use ridges, Jim , so I can't help you. :( sry

I've gotten used to the feel now, so my times are back to normal :)

Anyway, yeah I find that my 3x3 times go up for a brief period after doin a ton of megaminx practice. A few Ao5's usually do the trick, though.

Also, the tiles are actually just a hair taller than the ridges.

Marco Cuber

I've gotten used to the feel now, so my times are back to normal :)

Anyway, yeah I find that my 3x3 times go up for a brief period after doin a ton of megaminx practice. A few Ao5's usually do the trick, though.

Also, the tiles are actually just a hair taller than the ridges.
Oh, I see. Good luck in your next comp! I was just wondering, how do I improve my lookahead on megaminx in general? Do you suggest things like slow solves or doing a F2l or S2L pair blindfolded?
I am averaging around 2:05 and I want to improve lookahead because sometimes I screw up my solve because of pauses.

Morgoth890

I just finished reading all the posts in this thread and i see that the color scheme recognition topic comes out quite often, along with the fact that it should be known very well in order to be able to look-ahead more quickly.
However i did not see many discussions about the color schemes that you use.

I recently bought a Dayan Megaminx and i don't really like its color scheme. The colors around the black face are nice, but the ones around the gray face are so pale and i find them kind of... ugly... I'm really hesitating to either keep it and just get used to it or to buy some new stickers.

What do you guys think?
For the Dayan users, did you keep the original color scheme? Do you find it good?
What would you recommend for me (website and/or color scheme name) if i wanted to try some other colors? It's hard to picture how it would really look like only by looking at the sticker set photos.

Thanks!

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since the Dayan's pieces can be taken apart, you can change the colour scheme without buying new stickers. You could switch the dark green with the light green, and the same for the blue for example, this will disperse the pale colours throughout the megaminx instead of having them all around the LL.

Morgoth890

Yes but this is not so much the location of the colors that bothers me, this is more the colors themselves. In fact i prefer to have them all around the LL like now because i find it easier to locate darker ones so i start with the black face because it's harder to look-ahead in the beginning, and i end with the gray face and the colors i find harder to locate.

TP

WCA
2013PETT01
I recently bought a Dayan Megaminx and i don't really like its color scheme. The colors around the black face are nice, but the ones around the gray face are so pale and i find them kind of... ugly... I'm really hesitating to either keep it and just get used to it or to buy some new stickers.

What do you guys think?
For the Dayan users, did you keep the original color scheme? Do you find it good?
What would you recommend for me (website and/or color scheme name) if i wanted to try some other colors? It's hard to picture how it would really look like only by looking at the sticker set photos.

I had the same thoughts so I switched out a few colours. Thecubicle.us has en excellent selection of stickers. I think it as fluorescent Green/Pink/Yellow that I bought and put on the top layer.

Morgoth890

Hey yes that's great! Considering that i can change only some colors and not only the entire scheme, i guess i would change the yellow and blue that bother me the most, and maybe a few others (or at least buy some others to physically compare, as they are not very expensive anyway). The "fluro" ones look pretty good.

Thanks a lot!

Marco Cuber

Why do most of the really fast people (Nick Rech, Balint Bodor,Simon Westlund,Chris Wall,etc) use tiles instead of ridges or just normal stickers?
Are tiles more efficient at making a megaminx easy to grip?

yoinneroid

WCA
2010UTOM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why do most of the really fast people (Nick Rech, Balint Bodor,Simon Westlund,Chris Wall,etc) use tiles instead of ridges or just normal stickers?

yes tiles make grip easier
and these guys started megaminxing before the existence of ridges, so they are used to the feels of tiles

Fawn

Yeah so far my grip is way better and they haven't been for much time. Obviously, it's not like that for all puzzles. I don't know about the rest of 'em, but Simon Westlund's main is a Meffert's brand! Albeit, the speed version. Kinda makes me want to get that rubik's brand speed cube diy.

Marco Cuber

Yeah so far my grip is way better and they haven't been for much time. Obviously, it's not like that for all puzzles. I don't know about the rest of 'em, but Simon Westlund's main is a Meffert's brand! Albeit, the speed version. Kinda makes me want to get that rubik's brand speed cube diy.

Are Meffert's megaminxes still available? Or did they go out of production or something? I am personally satisfied with my Dayan, however.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Not sure about others, but Chris Wall uses stickers (Dayan, no ridges). Unless he changed recently, which I doubt.

Fawn

Not sure about others, but Chris Wall uses stickers (Dayan, no ridges). Unless he changed recently, which I doubt.

In that case, I guess the best grip comes from whatever you get used to. The comfort is found along the way. Still, I find tiles to be aesthetically pleasing so far. At least the mf8 ones. Also, I originally put them on my dayan with ridges, but I recently bought another set of tiles and put them on my non-ridged dayan. It looks and feels much nicer to me.

Marco Cuber

Thank you for that. I am finaally consistently averaging sub-1:50 and almost sub-1:30. I was wondering how long have you guys been doing megaminx and what do you average now? Ive been doing mega for 3 weeks and as stated, I average around 1:40.

Divineskulls

WCA
2011RECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for that. I am finaally consistently averaging sub-1:50 and almost sub-1:30. I was wondering how long have you guys been doing megaminx and what do you average now? Ive been doing mega for 3 weeks and as stated, I average around 1:40.

Been practicing mega for about 2 years, and at my peak I was sub-55, but now I am just barely sub-1.